Solved Connect to NAS through second router
Hi everyone,

I just bought an Android TV and installed KODI. Now I'm trying to connect my TV to a Raspberry Pi NAS. 
The setup is as follow:
The Pi is connected to the ISP router that connects to the internet. An external 2TB USB hard disk is mounted to the Pi.
A second Wi-Fi router is also connected to the ISP router. The Android TV is connected to this Wi-Fi router. There are also laptops and cell phones connecting to this Wi-Fi router.

I've configured my Pi with Samba successfully. I can access the 2TB hard disk from laptops (Win10). Actually, one laptop connects to the ISP router directly and the other one connects to the Wi-Fi router. Both laptops can access the hard disk.

But KODI on the TV doesn't connect to the Pi. It always returned a timeout error. I tried connecting my Pi to the Wi-Fi router so that both Pi and TV are under the same router. This method worked, but was VERY slow because the Pi had poor Wi-Fi connections.

Is there a way to configure KODI so that it can discover the Pi? I'm pretty new to Kodi (and network configs as well).

Thanks!
Any idea? Just to add that I could SSH into the Pi from Android TV using an SSH app. So at least that indicates the TV is able to communicate with the Pi through the Wi-Fi router. It's likely KODI's config needs some tweak.
(2018-12-15, 07:48)F.I.C. Wrote: Any idea?
Bumping your thread on a forum after only 2.5 hours is a bit .. enthusiastic. Most people are likely to be 'unavailable' on a Saturday night / Sunday morning.

If both routers each have their own DHCP server on, you will get separate networks as your diagram already shows. Can you disable the DHCP on the TV's router and put it into some kind of bridge-mode, so it also gets IP addresses from the ISP router?

Having a Raspberry Pi as a wireless file server is not the most 'powerful' solution. The RPi is already a versatile but slow device, its wifi chip is not the most capable. Any chance of hooking it up via ethernet cable would help network stability and overall throughput a lot. IMO, any wifi solution should be avoided where possible when watching (high bitrate) videos over a network.
Haha, new to this forum and didn't know how long people usually response Wink

Anyway, your method works! I found out that the cable was connected to the WAN port of my Wi-Fi router. After changing it to the LAN port and setting it to bridge mode, KODI was able to access the NAS. Thanks!
Thread marked solved.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Connect to NAS through second router0