Clone of Kodi
Just one point, in the notes on the trademark, I do not think I have read anything about the use of your mirrors.

Excuse me if I missed something, but you say in the Wiki that if I do a fork of kodi without changing anything of its source code, then I could do it without even asking permission to the XBMC Foundations, but now you tell me what if I do a clone of Kodi, without changing the source, would necessarily using the kodi mirrors because that is where certain Kodi official addons are updated.

A fork without changes in the source code can make use of the Kodi mirrors for the updates of the official addons without the need of permission of the Foundation XBMC ..... but it turns out that a fork that does not make changes, according to commented that it would try do, necessarily according to you I would use those mirrors and then it would be forbidden Huh?

Honestly, I do not understand it. But I'm not nobody to create disputes either. I feel the discomfort and forgive. Sorry.

It is only an opinion. Greetings.
If you supply Kodi as-is (for example you're a device box seller and pre-install vanilla Kodi without any changes or modifications, and without anything pre-installed) then you don't need to get permission. But that isn't what you're proposing.

Basically what we don't want is people forking off their own version of Kodi for whatever reason but still putting a burden on our infrastructure by using our official repo and the support structure for it (the mirrors etc). If you're going to fork, then everything needs to be forked including the repo and how it's served up. What you have to do is either change nothing (supply Kodi exactly as it would appear if it was installed from our side/approved sources by the user) or change everything (including none of our trademarked properties nor putting any burden on our infrastructure) - there is no half-way house that is generally acceptable without express permission.

To be honest for your usage case you might look at versions like MrMC or SPMC. Both of those are Kodi forks and can be installed in parallel.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
Or use portable mode.
Understood, Darren.

Thanks so much for the explanation.

But from what I've read, MrMC is a paid APK (3.19 to be exact) and SPMC seems to have stopped its development in Jarvis, as I read.

Thanks anyway for the information.
Hi, Hitcher, and thanks for answering.

Running Kodi in portable mode is a good idea. In fact, I did it that way on my laptop a long time ago, in Windows 10.

But could you tell me how can I launch Kodi in portable mode on Android ?

Again, thanks for your attention.
Portable mode is only available in Windows. It can't be done in Android.

You are correct about both MrMC and SPMC.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
I know, Darren, that's because I was telling Hitcher that using portable mode is not valid for me, as I said in the first post, I would like to do it on Android.

And obviously, neither MrMC nor SPMC are valid solutions for what I'm raising.

Anyway, thank you very much for your kind attention.
(2019-01-03, 21:32)lunamoon Wrote: Thanks for your quick response, Darren.

As I say, the fork would upload (if I manage to do so) to the PlayStore, and if you consider it necessary to upload it to any mirror of yours, it would do so without problem.

And pre-installed addons, at the moment I was just thinking about IAGL, that the idea would be to pre-install the addon and its repository.

As I say, I ask, because if it's not legal, I do not even try.

If this issue causes problems, just tell me and close the thread. And I'm sorry if I caused problems. It was not my intention at all.

But thank you very much for your attention.
 IAGL's license does not allow you to sell it on the play store.  The databases contained in IAGL are released under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International license, the rest of the code is released under GNU v3. CCA-NC allows for non-commercial use as long as credit is given and that derivative works (works based on the CC licensed data) are also made available under the same license.
Hi, Zach.

First of all, thanks for answering.

I have never said that my intention was to sell that supposed clone. I feel if I have expressed myself badly.

But I've always said that my only intention was to upload it to PlayStore, never sell it. It would have been totally free.

Thanks anyway for the information.
It seems that your main intention is to provide a retro gaming focused version of KODI. Why not simply make it a skin with a dependency to IARL? Then use two profiles in KODI - one for gaming that is using your game focused skin, and another profile for media consumption using some other skin. Should cover your usecase pretty much and you can share you skin easily with others via our repo (if it matches the criteria).
Hi, Da-anda, thank you very much for responding.

Indeed, what I wanted try to do is a retro gaming focused version of KODI.

Using different profiles could be used to change, as you indicate, between a profile of games and another profile more oriented to the media.

But in reality what I would try to do would be to provide a quick and easy way to have a Kodi focused on retro gaming, so I thought about the clone.

You tell me the possibility of making a skin with a dependency to IARL, but I do not know what you mean, sorry for my ignorance, but as far as I know,
building a skin that is oriented towards retro gaming would allow me to change the appearance of Kodi, but not to provide added functionality such as adding
the IAGL addon and its repo. Sorry if I'm wrong.

Anyway, thank you very much for your ideas.

Greetings.
If you have a closer look at how add-ons work, not all add-ons contain all their needed logic on their own. So generic tools, features and assets are usually moved to an independent add-on that can be used by many others. But since add-on A might rely on an "outsourced" feature that is maintained in add-on B, it can declare a dependency to add-on B in it's addon.xml file and KODI will make sure to also install add-on B when add-on A is being installed. And given that skins are just a different form of add-on they can do the same. In fact, many if not all skins have dependencies to commonly shared artwork add-ons (weather fanart, icons, ...) and scripts that add additional functionality to the skin. So in your case you could also add dependencies to any other add-on in the KODI repository (or your own repository) and it would automatically be installed along with your add-on (if the dependency is available in any of the installed repositories).
Now with IAGL it might be a bit tricky, since it's not in our official repository yet, so there would be extra steps required to get it installed - but your skin could guide users by giving a description on how to do it etc.

I know it might not be ideal that way, but that's probably the only way you can share your idea with others without having to do a full rebrand. Now, you are of course free to do a full rebrand and distribute your modified version of KODI even commercially (like MrMC does), but this requires you to run your own add-on repository infrastructure and create/compile the binaries on your own (since you need to change/adjust certain code lines and not just artwork in order to comply to our trademark policy). Now you might say you don't need a repository for add-ons, but retro-cores, gamepad button mappings etc are also just add-ons and get installed from our repository. So if you rebrand, you would have to provide your own repository with retro-cores etc (or ofc bundle them with the APK/installer, but we worked hard to move those binary add-ons to a repository for a reason)
Hi, Da-Anda, thank you very much for answering.

I already knew how addons work and how Kodi is able to automatically install what we indicate our addon needs to work, as long as it is in installed repositories.

What has never occurred to me is that, indeed, that same could be used so that at the same time we install our own skin, we indicated that it needs an addon, so that it was installed at the same time that we install the skin.

But as you say, for now, for example, we could not do it with the IAGL (wonderful addon, by the way), because at the moment it is not in your repositories.

The other option, to create a complete fork, and use own repositories to store the retro-cores (as you do in the new functionality of Leia, the great RetroPlayer), although I would love it, but it surpasses my possibilities.

I imagine the reason, or at least one of the reasons, why you use binary addons and have removed many things from the APK itself in Leia is precisely for reasons of APK size. I imagine that adding all the retro-cores compiled and embedded in the same Kodi would cause its size to grow enormously.

Again, thank you very much for answering.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Clone of Kodi0