Hardware Help Please - U1/Vim1/Vim2/KI Pro?
Had posted in the pinned thread but figured I would post here to see if I could get more help.

Planning to dual boot and wifi only. My house isn't conducive to a wired set up.

I`m wondering if MIMO will make an appreciable difference to my performance, or if AC wifi will be fine?
Also if I'm going to be using Android, is 3GB going to help a lot with these versions of Android over 2gb?

Should I go for the Khadas Vim2 pro? (S912 + MIMO + RSDB + 3GB DDR4)
Or Khadas Vim1 Pro? (S905X + AC Wifi+ 2GB DDR3)
Or Minix U1 (S905 + MIMO + 2GB DDR3)
Or Mecool KI Pro (S905D + AC Wifi + 2GB DDR4+ Widevine)

I'm guessing there wont be a huge difference, but wondering if there is advantages to one over another that I'm not considering other than the RAM and Wifi? 
The Vim2 is about $30-50 more? Is the price premium worth it over the other 3?

Which one would you get?
Or which one do you have and why?
(2019-01-15, 04:18)bankarsonist Wrote: Planning to dual boot and wifi only. 
I guess I should've elaborated that I am going to dual boot android and LE.
MINX U1 will have the best WiFi, due to MIMO with both an internal and external Antenna. Yes that big external antenna makes a difference to media player WiFi reception sensitivity and ultimately performance.
It will also have the highest quality eMMC Flash and RAM - these do make a difference too.
Plus class leading Chipset cooling for long term reliability.
It's integrated MINIX A2 lite remote is well worth it for Kodi Keyboard shortcuts and turning the device OFF / ON via the remote.
The S905 in the U1 is not HDR capable.

However it will have the slowest (but real stable) Android OS, still running pretty old Android 5.1 Lollipop out of the box.
You would have to do some DIY if you wanted a community version of Android 6.x Marshmallow:
https://theminixforum.com/index.php?thre...he-u1.107/

If you want 1080p Netflix with Android Kodi Leia and the Leia - Netflix Addon you need a device with Android Widevine L1 - like the Mecool.
The Mecool will have the most stable Android Nougat 7.x.x release, followed by the Vim1.
You can very get an Android TV (Nougat) ROM over on Freaktab for the Mecool if you are into DIY.

3GB vs 2GB for Android - not a lot of difference, eMMC Flash & RAM quality makes a difference. You need 2GB minimum for Android.
There are Android OS speed bump increases and optimisations when you go from Lollipop > Marshmallow > Nougat > Oreo.

Personally I do not trust board integrated WiFi receivers like you would see on the Khadas Vim1 Pro if WiFi has to be a must have priority - there is no way they can get the same WiFi reception sensitivity vs anything with some sort of antenna, placed away from the motherboard.

S912 devices are not guaranteed to get fully working Linux / LibreELEC / CoreELEC - Kodi v19 M, but we are at least a year away from that release.
Open source Linux Mali 8xx GPU video drivers (for the Kodi user interface) have to be finished before that happens, there have been steps in that direction already underway.

Interestingly enough in the video he's running a Vim2!

I just found a pretty good sale on the U9.

S912 + MIMO + + 2GB DDR3 + Widevine L1.

What to do, what to do?
Knowing Open Source Linux developers, they are like a dog with a bone when there is very capable, relatively cheap hardware that simply has one thing missing for future Kodi v19 support - that being Linix GPU drivers.

The Panfrost guys who developed the early, buggy GPU driver used in the above demo have stated Kodi v19 support is one of their goals this year. Wink

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Hardware Help Please - U1/Vim1/Vim2/KI Pro?0