Video Calibration
My setup:-
Genetic pc with Windows 10.
GPU - Gigabyte GeForce GT 1030.
Kodi v17.6
Receiver - Denon AVR-X1500H
Projector - Epson EMP-TW2000
All connections are HDMI.

My question is how do you calibrate your image (Gray scale, gamma, hue, offset, etc,etc), when these adjustments can be made in several of the items in the chain?  
No matter what you do in Kodi or the GPU, you have to use the projector to assess your results,  and the projectors settings might be way out. 🤔

I understand that ideally everything should be set (Ideally) for Full video levels,  and for RGB.
Depending on the GPU of a Kodi device, only a couple of settings are available via the video settings OSD during a video: brightness, contrast, sharpness, etc. Nothing with grayscale or hue and so on.
I don't use a projector, but here is what I did:

1. Using a Blu Ray player and the Disney WOW calibration disc I calibrated the TV using the HDMI input my HTPC would be plugged in to (brightness, contrast, color, hue, grayscale, etc.).
2. I ripped the WOW disc so the various files would be available to use from within Kodi.
3. Using my HTPC (plugged into the HDMI input used in step 1) I used Kodi to play the WOW calibration files. I made final adjustments in Kodi (not the TV!) to calibrate the final output.

If you don't have the Disney WOW disc you can use the calibration files available here (free): https://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-displ...ation.html
Matrix 19.x (LE), Aeon Nox SiLVO, NUC8i5BEK (i5-8259U, Intel Iris Plus Graphics 655, 16 GB ram, 128 GB M.2 SSD)
Samsung F6300 46" LED LCD TV, SMSL Q5 Pro amplifier, Pioneer HPM-100 speakers
Synology DS215j NAS fileserver (WD Gold 10TB x 2)
(2019-01-19, 22:15)whysoserious Wrote: I don't use a projector, but here is what I did:

1. Using a Blu Ray player and the Disney WOW calibration disc I calibrated the TV using the HDMI input my HTPC would be plugged in to (brightness, contrast, color, hue, grayscale, etc.).
2. I ripped the WOW disc so the various files would be available to use from within Kodi.
3. Using my HTPC (plugged into the HDMI input used in step 1) I used Kodi to play the WOW calibration files. I made final adjustments in Kodi (not the TV!) to calibrate the final output.

If you don't have the Disney WOW disc you can use the calibration files available here (free): https://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-displ...ation.html
Thanks for that.
Last night I re-calibrated my projector using the DVE HD Basics disc.
While doing that, I figured out how to set the projector to FULL (setting "HDMI Video Range" to Expand).
However, this setup only has my DVD player, my A/V receiver and the projector in the chain.

Regarding the htpc (and Kodi), I have copied the calibration files (in MP4) from here onto my htpc, to help with the rest of the calibration.
Using my (naive) logic, I think now I have to set Kodi to FULL, with everything else on Default, then set the GPU to FULL and use the calibration files in the pc to calibrate the GPU.

Am I heading in the right direction?
Anyone?
(2019-01-20, 02:09)Nordo Wrote:
(2019-01-19, 22:15)whysoserious Wrote: I don't use a projector, but here is what I did:

Thanks for that.
Last night I re-calibrated my projector using the DVE HD Basics disc.
While doing that, I figured out how to set the projector to FULL (setting "HDMI Video Range" to Expand).
However, this setup only has my DVD player, my A/V receiver and the projector in the chain.

Regarding the htpc (and Kodi), I have copied the calibration files (in MP4) from here onto my htpc, to help with the rest of the calibration.
Using my (naive) logic, I think now I have to set Kodi to FULL, with everything else on Default, then set the GPU to FULL and use the calibration files in the pc to calibrate the GPU.

Am I heading in the right direction?
Anyone?  
The following is what works for me:

Kodi - limited (16-256)

Intel driver settings:

Quantization Range - Full
YCbCr - Off
Video Input Range - Application Setting

Turn off all noise reduction and skin tone modifications and contrast enhancers.

Samsung tv HDMI Black level - Low

This gives me a "crushed" PC desktop on the TV, but the Kodi GUI looks right, and all the AVS HD 709 test files (as well as test files ripped from the Disney WOW calibration Blu Ray) look perfect with very minor tweaking of brightness / contrast within Kodi, with "blacker-than-black" and "whiter-than-white" visible if I wanted them to be. Also, the gradient test files look smooth, without "steps".

Edit: The above is for my Kodi on Windows HTPC. For my LibreELEC installation I use basically the same (Kodi - limited, Samsung TV - Low) but I can't access any GPU-specific settings for the Intel GPU, unlike the Windows installation).
Matrix 19.x (LE), Aeon Nox SiLVO, NUC8i5BEK (i5-8259U, Intel Iris Plus Graphics 655, 16 GB ram, 128 GB M.2 SSD)
Samsung F6300 46" LED LCD TV, SMSL Q5 Pro amplifier, Pioneer HPM-100 speakers
Synology DS215j NAS fileserver (WD Gold 10TB x 2)
Thanks whysoserious.
That's given me a plan to work to.
Cheers Wink

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Video Calibration0