[Guide] Getting Started with Kodi Retroplayer
(2019-05-01, 19:12)uowiec Wrote: - the current Ubuntu x86-64 releases avaliable on ppa (including nightlies) don't include the RetroPlayer support

No, thats not correct. Kodi v18 includes support for retroplayer. Kodi the application is completely separate from game emulator addons (which are addons that contain binaries). Kodi is not shipped with any game emulator addons so they have to be installed separately.

(2019-05-01, 19:12)uowiec Wrote: - the lack of RetroPlayer support can be recognized by lack of "Emulator" type addons in Kodi repository (Addons > Download > Install from Repository > Kodi Addon-Repository > Game Addons > Emulators)
- in order to be able to use RetroPlayer on Linux x86-64, one has to compile Kodi from the "game branch"
- when Kodi is compiled with RetroPlayer support, and Emulators appear in Game addons repository, only a few of emulators will be available for Linux x86-64 eg no NES emulator ?

Also incorrect. I think the trouble people are having is that the official ppa isn't building a good number of the emulator addons currently, so people take that to mean it's not working. I think this is just a buildbot issue that the Kodi team needs to look into (I'm unsure where to post issues regarding ppa addon building, otherwise I'd do it myself).

For Linux, you don't install binary addons the same way you'd install a standard python Kodi addon. As far as I know, this is true for screensavers, pvr addons, game addons, etc. You have three options:
1) Install from the ppa using the instructions in the first post. Note again that many game emulator addons aren't building currently so they're not in the ppa
2) Build and install the game addons yourself using the instructions here.
3) Search the internet for an unofficial repository of pre-built game emulator addons and install by zip. I am not recommending this and I'm sure the Kodi team would not recommend it either, since it's likely a pretty big security risk (i.e. it's your funeral if this is what you choose to do).

For windows/OSX/android, the binary addons are distributed in the same way other addons are (why it's different for Linux I have no idea, but this is the same limitation that Retroarch has in linux, and cores for retroarch are installed using a ppa as well).

Messages In This Thread
RE: [Guide] Getting Started with Kodi Retroplayer - by zachmorris - 2019-05-02, 00:24
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[Guide] Getting Started with Kodi Retroplayer1