Reception and setting up
I'm still running WMC on W7. It's been absolutely rock-solid for the past 6-7 years but I'm trying to change over to W10 on my HTPC in order to access some more content, etc. OTA TV is about 80% usage atm so it needs to work or the missus will be annoyed.The only thing stopping me is the PVR.
It tried NextPVR and after fiddling around to get all my channels to scan, I found all the HD channels had poor reception. It does seem to be scanning the same frequencies as WMC did and I never had an issue with reception using it. I've got a dual DNTV DVB pci tuner card and I'm in Australia.

I'm just wondering if this is a common problem or if there's anything that can be done about....can't imagine there would be.
Also, recording TV is important (so if I get the reception problem sorted) would my PC be able to wake to record and sleep afterwards? I didn't get far enough into looking into it but after spending an entire weekend trying to get things to work, I don't want to waste too much time if it can't do the basics of what I need. 

Final question is.....would I be able to power on with my remote (it's currently a Harmony650 set up to wake PC, receiver and TV) and go straight to TV guide or live TV with Kodi? I don't want to go clicking through menus too much.
Appreciate some advice...
(2019-02-12, 06:19)FarQuirkan Wrote: It tried NextPVR and after fiddling around to get all my channels to scan, I found all the HD channels had poor reception. It does seem to be scanning the same frequencies as WMC did and I never had an issue with reception using it. I've got a dual DNTV DVB pci tuner card and I'm in Australia.

I'm just wondering if this is a common problem or if there's anything that can be done about....can't imagine there would be.
Also, recording TV is important (so if I get the reception problem sorted) would my PC be able to wake to record and sleep afterwards? I didn't get far enough into looking into it but after spending an entire weekend trying to get things to work, I don't want to waste too much time if it can't do the basics of what I need. 

Final question is.....would I be able to power on with my remote (it's currently a Harmony650 set up to wake PC, receiver and TV) and go straight to TV guide or live TV with Kodi? I don't want to go clicking through menus too much.
Appreciate some advice...
No - it's not a common problem. There is no known NextPVR issues that would account for it. At the end of the day, NextPVR just asks the device to tune to a specific frequency, and collects all the data the device delivers. If there is reception issues, then it's likely your signal is a bit marginal, or you've picked up signal from 'near by but not the closest' transmitter or similar. 

I'd first check if recordings have the same problem when played in another player like VLC, just in case it's a playback issue you're seeing. I'd also leave Kodi out of the mix when checking it. ie, check it in NextPVR itself, or other players

Yes - NextPVR will ask Windows to wake up for scheduled recording times, and you can configure Windows to go to sleep after x minutes of inactivity.

I don't know anything about Harmony remotes. I'm guessing you can use it, but that is more of a Kodi issue. I'm the developer of NextPVR, and don't know much about that stuff outside of NextPVR.
In my area, there are quite a few repeaters where the frequencies are different.  Next PVR wasn't picking up the strongest channels, so I had to go in and make sure only the channels on the correct frequencies were there. Argus TV did the same thing.

I have a site with all the frequencies and towers on my home computer, and will link it here after work.

Drexyl
Thanks. I know it's probably a signal problem but I very rarely get any bad signal in WMC so I don't understand why it's so bad here. Also, I had an antenna guy over a while ago who adjusted the antenna and reckons my signal is great. I did double check I was receiving the correct frequencies too because I know I can get it from several sources. So I'm at a loss!!

The other thing that bugs me is how long it takes between channel changes...like 10-15secs sometimes. But I assume that may be related to the reception issue...?
This is the site I use.

https://ozdigitaltv.com/

If you take a close look at your channel sources in WMC, you will find it may (like mine) pick up multiple repeater stations with multiple frequencies. But WMC seems to pick the best one better than NextPVR. Maybe strength vs quality, as some of my channels have low strength, but due to "echoes" from buildings and mountains have much better quality than the channels with high strength. *shrug* Just educated speculation though.

I'm well read on the subject, but am not qualified nor would I consider myself an expert.

Check your channel sources in WMC and see which frequencies are ticked, and make sure they are the frequencies you use in NextPVR.

Hope this helps.

Drexyl
Does WMC still use WTV format?  It is possible that the container is better for problem recordings then the raw ts file.

Martin
(2019-02-12, 11:58)Drexyl Wrote: This is the site I use.

https://ozdigitaltv.com/

If you take a close look at your channel sources in WMC, you will find it may (like mine) pick up multiple repeater stations with multiple frequencies. But WMC seems to pick the best one better than NextPVR. Maybe strength vs quality, as some of my channels have low strength, but due to "echoes" from buildings and mountains have much better quality than the channels with high strength. *shrug* Just educated speculation though.

I'm well read on the subject, but am not qualified nor would I consider myself an expert.

Check your channel sources in WMC and see which frequencies are ticked, and make sure they are the frequencies you use in NextPVR.

Hope this helps.

Drexyl
Yep, that's the site I used. I reinstalled NDVR late last night and somehow, it seemed to work ok. Channel WIN HD was the only one a bit iffy. But channel changes were much, much quicker. Perhaps it was getting EPG data before, which slowed everything down (I'm getting them OTA).
What is a bit odd is although most of the channels had decent reception, the frequencies NDVR picked up were different than stated for my area on ozdigitaltv.com.
I didn't try but should I open the channel properties and manually change the frequency to the 'correct' one?

But as you suggested, I should note which frequencies MCE is using and try them.
I may actually be getting somewhere....
"NextPVR" or "NPVR", not "NDVR" Smile
I glad you know what I meant..

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Reception and setting up0