[Request] Support for associating file types with scripts
Lightbulb 
I would like to see a feature added whereby the user can (on a per profile basis) associate file types with scripts, a la File Associations in any modern operating system.

For example, the user associates txt,cfg,ini,log files with the Scratcher script. In the File Manager, when the user clicks on a txt file, XBMC runs the Scratcher script with the filepath as an argument. The script opens the file and displays it for editing.

The settings would need to be expanded to allow the user to enter any number of handler script associations. Preferably an option on the right-click/white-button menu would also allow the user to select a different handler script on a one-time basis, or to set the association there, as in the "Open with.." menu option seen in Windows.

Additionally, an api for this functionality could be exposed in the xbmcgui module, allowing handler scripts to install themselves as handlers for whatever file types they wish. XBMC would automatically display a Yes/No dialog so that the user can prevent handler scripts from silently hijacking their settings.

Throughout this proposal, I've referred to 'handler scripts' and perhaps these scripts could indeed be a different class of script, so that they are categorized under a new entry such as Handlers in the scripts window, rather than included in the list of standard Scripts. This would allow users to easily see which Handlers are available, and to uninstall them at will.

view this request on Sourceforge
I 100% agree!!!! ^ ^ ^

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[Request] Support for associating file types with scripts0