No HDR passthrough, tone-mapping parameters not being saved (Leia)
It's been a long time since I wrote anything on a forum but lately I've gotten more and more involved in Kodi, so I thought I'd give it a go.

First of all, before everybody starts about all the issues, a thanks to the developers. At the moment, in my humble opinion, there's nothing quite like Kodi out there so we owe them.

The situation: I have a bunch of movies in 1080p and 4K(HDR) stored in my library. My TV is a Philips 8505 49 inch, capable of HDR10 Premium. Kodi - as of yet - is not passing through HDR directly, but converting it to SDR. Unfortunately, "normal" videos look weird after adjusting Kodi to a converted HDR video. The Tone-mapping parameters should be a solution. Unfortunately, those settings are not saved.

So, my question... Will there be a true HDR-passthrough in Kodi 18 in the future like we saw with Kodi 17.6 Dsplayer? And will the tone-mapping be fixed?

I would like to know other people's thoughts on this.
My thought is that HDR passthrough in Windows is a bit of a mess but is doable, as your experience with DSPlayer confirms. As such I hope it gets implemented sooner rather than later in Kodi.

This is the first time, in a very long time, that I could not confidently recommend a Kodi Windows installation as the ultimate in home theater enjoyment.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
I'm using Kodi v.18.1.  I selected pixel shaders as the render method in player settings.  It had no affect on SDR videos and they play normally as they always have.  I did not change any other settings, just that one which was previously set to DXVA.  There is nothing else that needed to be adjusted for my system.  This allows HDR to convert to SDR and tone map producing a very good picture.  Not quite as good as using an external player with madVR passing through metadata, but imo, very, very good considering.  This from HDR full integrity iso's and transcoded stripped mkv's as well.  I see no use for the color management or dithering options using VideoPlayer.  Spot on without any of it unlike LAV Filters and madVR setting up for externals which I find worth the effort.  Perhaps it's an Intel necessity for VideoPlayer?  If that's the case, and it doesn't retain the settings, it should be addressed and I agree with you. 

I doubt passthrough HDR will be possible using an official build of Kodi for a lot of very real reasons.  We asked a long, long time ago and the answer the dev provided was reasonable.  It would have to provide the functionality to all platforms for starters.  We're lucky the Windows platform works as well as it does.  I doubt an open source software like Kodi would consider using any closed source helper software as part of its core.  Kinda' defeats the entire basis if you ask me.  Then there is the GPU manufactures providing the API's (only two).  Windows HDR is no help.  It isn't display level.  I doubt users want to be forced to specific hardware otherwise you won't be able to use Kodi.  Then considering how often driver builds for that hardware change... sometimes for the better, sometimes for the worse... that would leave Kodi devs on the hook to constantly rewrite Kodi releases as changes required which would definitely bring new meaning to the nightly builds and no use at all for one stable release.  DSPlayer is never going to be the official build you want mimicked.  It will remain a fork.  And if that fork remains abandoned, then it is what it is.  I think that's what you're really getting at...

At some point DSPlayer is going to fade away as it loses more and more functionality and/or missing out on new features, add-ons, etc. becomes intolerable.  To update it at this point would be daunting to put it mildly and even then it would remain a fork dependent on the author alone to keep maintaining.  Just so you know, you do have the option of using official Kodi v.18 or 18.1 with external players including madVR that imo, have always surpassed DSPlayer limitations.  There will be some trade-offs and I consider the detrimental ones minor.  The beneficial ones I consider major and the entire reason I've never had any interest in DSPlayer tbh.  It simply never met my demands.  There are plenty of guides and forums to walk you through the entire process from A to Z with screenshots to keep you entertained and the lazy engaged.  So while some consider the demise of DSPlayer enough to never recommend using Kodi Windows platform anymore, I say adapt.  Come on in... the water's fine.
HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players
W10/1809 MPC-BE\HC PDVD18 DVDFab3 KODI 18.1 960-4GB/RGB 4:4:4/Desktop=60Hz/Video=Matched Refresh rates 8bit/65JS8500 UHD HDR 3D
I've been using Kodi for the past 10 years. I have all my media library in it and it was my go to player in my home theatre but since last 2 years when more and more movies have been released in HDR and Dolby Vision, I have used a media player with madVR and never used Kodi since. I have waited patiently for Kodi to catch up with the rest of the world, checking the forums every month or two but I think its time to put any hopes to rest. It seems team Kodi is going for quantity over quality, trying to get more devices but forgetting about their base, the HTPC community. In the end all that matters is if a media player can't play the media it correctly, you just move on, there are plenty that can, Farewell Kodi.
Who is the rest of the world? And can you name one OpenSource Player that does HDR output?

I think in 10 years you could have contributed that feature yourself ... Kodi is not a company but a software written by volunteers in their freetime (fulltime job + family + kodi on the weekend / evenings). Seems you have spent the last 10 years of your freetime for something else ... so don't complain that others don't compensate for your own laziness.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2019-04-03, 18:41)jake13942 Wrote: I've been using Kodi for the past 10 years. I have all my media library in it and it was my go to player in my home theatre but since last 2 years when more and more movies have been released in HDR and Dolby Vision, I have used a media player with madVR and never used Kodi since. I have waited patiently for Kodi to catch up with the rest of the world, checking the forums every month or two but I think its time to put any hopes to rest. It seems team Kodi is going for quantity over quality, trying to get more devices but forgetting about their base, the HTPC community. In the end all that matters is if a media player can't play the media it correctly, you just move on, there are plenty that can, Farewell Kodi.
If Windows had the suitable APIs to do the job, you would have HDR passthrough on Windows. Don't blame Team Kodi. Blame Microsoft for not being concerned about HDR video playback on Windows. HDR on PC is still in its infancy, you know.
(2019-04-05, 10:24)fritsch Wrote: Who is the rest of the world? And can you name one OpenSource Player that does HDR output?

How about two?

MPC-BE
VLC
(2019-04-05, 10:24)fritsch Wrote: so don't complain that others don't compensate for your own laziness.

WOW
(2019-04-17, 19:03)jake13942 Wrote:
(2019-04-05, 10:24)fritsch Wrote: Who is the rest of the world? And can you name one OpenSource Player that does HDR output?

How about two?

MPC-BE
VLC

Doesn't MPC require closed source Madvr? and isn't VLC only HDR to SDR tone mapping so not HDR output?
(2019-04-17, 19:27)jjd-uk Wrote:
(2019-04-17, 19:03)jake13942 Wrote:

How about two?

MPC-BE
VLC  

Doesn't MPC require closed source Madvr? and isn't VLC only HDR to SDR tone mapping so not HDR output?  
lav and madvr for mpc
The thing is, even though I understand the whole HDR thing is complicated, drivers, Microsoft etc. I get that. But it really is up to the dev team to find a fix for the Tone-mapping problem. I could work around it, just as long as those settings are saved. But now, after every restart, I have to set the Tone-mapping parameters again. It doesn't even save the settings "Off" but always shows me "Reinhard".

I like Kodi a lot, but this is really a dealbreaker for me. Unless someone knows of any settings I could store in the advancedsettings.xml or alike? Really puzzling. All these hundreds of settings are being stored... Except these two?
For Windows a few user reports are suggesting that the DXVA rework to modernise the code in the v19 Nightlies has solved tone mapping complaints by adding the ability to offload the tone mapping to the GPU, however too few reports for a definitive conclusion yet though.

However for v18 is there an actual problem with the software tone mapping? or is it that the output from the Reinhard algorithm doesn't produce what people desire? from what I understand the software tone mapping was added in a manner that would allow the addition of multiple algorithms.
Oh and if the settings are not saved as they should be, has anyone bothered to raise a bug report issue on Github?
(2019-05-04, 12:52)jjd-uk Wrote: Oh and if the settings are not saved as they should be, has anyone bothered to raise a bug report issue on Github?

It goes like this: I pick a 4K movie with HDR. Settings are set to DXVA. I play the movie and there's a lot of overbrightness in it. I press the menu-key, scroll down to "tone mapping parameter" and set it to 1.60. The above setting "Tone mapping" is set to "Reinhard". Contrast and Brightness are at 47/47. After that, I press "Set as default for all media" and "Close". That's the story in short.

But: Tone mapping (Reinhard/Off) is not saved. Tone mapping parameter (1.60) is also not saved. Contrast and Brightness are, however.  (Am I missing a Colour-option? Never implemented?)
After a restart, or after waking up from sleep-mode, Tone mapping and Tone mapping parameter are set to Reinhard and 1.00

Where are those settings saved, if any? Can't find them in the guisettings.xml or anywhere else. Is there a possibility to override these settings?

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
No HDR passthrough, tone-mapping parameters not being saved (Leia)51