Mac MediaServer > Linux MediaServer
I am back to say thank you once again.
And once again Kodi has pushed me to move in new directions, I never imagined.
Thanks for that.

My Mac Mini (late 2009) was getting to slow to use as my media server.
I was running dosdude’s High Sierra for older macs, it was slow but it worked.
I ran Emby Server and HDHR Record (DVR) server and Airplay/iTunes on the mini.
I even installed a new SSD. The mac worked, but was way too slow.
SMB/Samba was very slow.

So I needed a new Media Server that fit my Kool-aid budget.
I asked for some advice and ideas here.
1. Raspberry pi media server? (Was hoping for an upgrade over the mac)
2. wipe the macOS and install Lubuntu? (Want to keep a MacOS system for now.)
3. NUC media server? (Maybe?)

New Server on the cheap. All the research got me thinking. I had an old ASUS laptop that was unusable do to a dodgy power port (overheating).
My Solution: permanently attach the power supply to the laptop. Defeats the portability but works great just sitting on a shelf. I added a new SSD installed Kubuntu (because I like it and use it on my thinkpad) Tested it for few days and it was working well and no over heating!
My wife always wonders why I keep old broken or unused computer parts/junk, this is why!

Now that I had a computer, The next issue was getting my media (19TB) moved from HFS+ drives to EXT4 drives. So I had to learn that adding new external drives to a Linux system is way different than it is on a Mac. Formatting, assigning mount points and assigning permissions was a brain frying experience. It is actually simple and easy once you understand the process. Until then my brain was turned to a jello like substance for a few days.

The next step was networking - After more research and advice I went with NFS. This too was a challenge, but was well worth it. I am amazed how fast my file sharing is now. Not sure how much that is due to the Mac, SMB or both.

Media transfer – So after learning more about assigning permissions for clients, I mounted my new Linux drives via NFS on the mac. Then I used Carbon Copy Cloner to transfer the media. This was a very slow process but worked very well.

I now have a Kubuntu based Kodi Media Server running Emby Server and HDHR Record.
I could not be happier. It is fast and very stable. It took about 6 weeks to accomplish but was well worth it.

This would not have been possible without the Wiki, the help and advice I got here, as well as the Kubuntu forum and the Emby forum.

To anyone considering a similar move I am happy to help in any way I can.

A big thank you to all here!
Well done.  That is exactly how I roll, re-purposing old kit.  My media server is an old Acer net-top that I have upgraded using parts from other scrap machines.  It runs NFS and MySQL on Xubuntu.
HTPCs: 2 x Chromecast with Google TV
Audio: Pioneer VSX-819HK & S-HS 100 5.1 Speakers
Server: HP Compaq Pro 6300, 4GB RAM, 8.75TB, Bodhi Linux 5.x, NFS, MySQL
Thanks for the reply.
never imagined learning and doing this at 58.
it was fun once the pain was over. Smile
You are never too old to learn.

My wife is a bit moody because I brought home a laptop with a dead screen.  A quick strip-down yielded me enough RAM to update my daughter's laptop to 12GB and a 256GB SSD. The SSD will bring a whole new lease of life to my aged Acer Revo and reduce it's power consumption a touch.
HTPCs: 2 x Chromecast with Google TV
Audio: Pioneer VSX-819HK & S-HS 100 5.1 Speakers
Server: HP Compaq Pro 6300, 4GB RAM, 8.75TB, Bodhi Linux 5.x, NFS, MySQL

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Mac MediaServer > Linux MediaServer0