no audio passthrough capability
No there is no analog output plugged on my Mi Box S (that provides only SPDIF/mini Toslink and HDMI audio output)

I am quite sure that the very first time I ran Kodi on my Mi Box target the audio passthrough radiobutton was proposed and that I set it.
I replaced also 2.0 output by 5.1 but I did not set the output types (Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital Plus, DTS)

IN that state I was unable to get by Dolby Digital right decoded even from a .iso ripped DVD=> I got only Progic II

2. I tried to modify Mi Box Android TV audio parameter from PCM (initial value) to AUTO and back again to PCM
I transcoded the .iso to AC3 5.1 m4v with Handbrake but got Dolby Prologic II as well

I have the feeling that the audio passthrough disappeared while I used the Mi Box.

3. Actually because the Dolby Digital no well decoded bored me I played a little bit with my target (I have some android internals knowledge) :
3.1 - I deployed ES File explorer and used it to deploy Logitech Keyboard Plus apk from USB key in order to be be able to use a french Pc keyboard on Android TV (that is because my hands requests a large keyboard after having worked 30 years on computers Big Grin ). The strange thing that happened is that ES Explorer requested debug mode and USB debugging mode) => the keyboard works fine
3.2 - I took the challenge to be able to access my target with adb through WiFi with no former USB access in order to run scrcpy (see https://www.genymotion.com/blog/open-sou...irelessly/). I reached this goal (I think adb could not be started through WiFi in older versions because before "adb tcpip PORT " command should have been executed through USB. I founf this fun : it works less or more (lag and stalls on Full HD videos copying).

I did not write down everything I did but I factory reset my target and when I ran Kodi on it the audio passthrough button was not displayed.

I can try to factory reset it again (I wrote down my configuration process, it is not so long because I did not deploy lots of things), I have time to investigate, I kept the logs of non working and working use cases

It would be interesting to have feedback from users with similar troubles that try to activate both add-ons as I did, even I you are thinking there is no relationship

The good news is : your DTS sample is well decoded with my current system.

Let me know if it is interesting for you to investigate deeper my case.
Yeah, it's quite interesting - but as you did so much stuff - I cannot really follow. What I can tell you:
Kodi is checking all available formats that the Android version your box "suggests" seems to support. I then try to open all of those codecs while starting kodi. If opening succeed I add them to the available list. Means: I don't even trust the firmware, I just "try it".

Therefore I am highly interested in what you might have changed outside of kodi.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Tomorrow I shell have tume to spent on this issue.

I'll give you feeback
OK, as I have troubles to get Dolby Digital with other video and audio sources I modified some settings and found what seems to disturb Kodi audio, pasthrough

Initially Kodi decoded properly Dolby Digital and DTS streams. My Android TV sound setting was : AUTO

I modified this setting to PCM (that accually is the default value after a factory reset) and restarted my Box. I got Dolby Digital sound on TV sources.
I checked if Kodi continued to well decode Dolby Digital with this PCM setting
Again Kodi did no more display the audio passthrough line and I had no more sound at all
I switched back Android TV audio parameter to AUTO, stopped Kodi application fully and relaunched it.
The audio passthrough parameter was back and the Dolby Digital was well decoded again.
You were true writing that the two add-ons I installed had no impact to solve my issue.

Bad points with thos Android TV are :
- the audio setting set to PCM by default (out of factory)
- the applications remain loaded in background as log as there is enough remaining memory (Andoird model, can be changed with debug features) sothat if you launched first an apps and change after an Android setting this change is not necessary applied to the already running application : yhis is the case for your audio enumeration when Kodi is fired. EN enhancement, if possible, would be a callback (Android is full of callbacks) that informs running Kodi of a system change, and that Kodi applies this change dynamically.

This audio passthrough is of very high interest for me because Kodi 'with SPMC) is the only application wich allowed me to decode Dolby Digital sound. I fail with Amazon Prime and did not yet try Netflix.
Why  is audio passthrough not a system level setting ?
Sorry : a mistake
I modified this setting to PCM (that accually is the default value after a factory reset) and restarted my Box. I got Dolby Digital   Prologic II sound on TV sources.
Oki, that makes it clear. Forcing PCM in Android basially tells Android to not output bitstream at all and also tells Audiotrack to remove any bitstream capabilities, so kodi cannot find it anymore.

SPMC will use the ancient "PCM" hack when your box is in PCM mode. Means: It tunnels bitstream in 100% volume through a 16 bit stereo connection. If you would alter the Android volume of the box while doing that -> huge, heavy white noise on your ears, the reason: Why I removed this insanes. Same issue btw. for Smartphones.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2019-03-21, 09:22)fritsch Wrote: Oki, that makes it clear. Forcing PCM in Android basially tells Android to not output bitstream at all and also tells Audiotrack to remove any bitstream capabilities, so kodi cannot find it anymore.

SPMC will use the ancient "PCM" hack when your box is in PCM mode. Means: It tunnels bitstream in 100% volume through a 16 bit stereo connection. If you would alter the Android volume of the box while doing that -> huge, heavy white noise on your ears, the reason: Why I removed this insanes. Same issue btw. for Smartphones.

Hello Fritsch,

I just made a clean install of libreelec 9 with Kodi 18 and i no longer have passthrough audio.

The settings are missing and you can not enable the feature ( Not in basic mode, Sync Playback to Display is not selected, no headphones connected ).

I have a WeTek Play 1 and it was working fine with version 8.2.5.

My setup is as follows:

* wetek via HDMI ---> TV

* Phillips DVD Player used as AMP via optical and HDMI ---> TV

With this setup i could hear both the TV and the WeTek out of the surround speakers of the Phillips DVD Player

No changes made to the settings of the TV and also no changes in the cabling.

I have done some research and it seems to be a KODI issue:

https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=289735

They have dropped support for passthrough for devices that might produce loud, uncomfortable noise that can harm your ears.​

The solution seems to be to use KODI "shitty" build " that's what they call it " and that version does not conform with the new "safety" regulation.

Is there a libreelec version with the shitty kodi build ? if no can there be one ?

is there any other solution to my problem that i may be not aware ?

What do you suggest ?

Thank you

Chris

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
no audio passthrough capability0