Solved Audio seems Poor - Am I doing something Silly
I am so far behind with technology, just started to copy my DVD’s onto my Hard Drives last week 😊 
I love my movie collection and just discovered the likes of Plex and Kodi recently. 
My current setup is:
  1. Windows PC with Movies stored here (Study)
  2. Networked via Google Wifi pucks
  3. Nvidia Shield (Living Room)
  4. Pioneer Receiver
  5. Panasonic Projector
  6. All connections via HDMI
I started with Plex as it was easy-to-use for myself and started converting DVD’s into a *.avi files (DivX and AC3) as this gave me full surround sound on my system.  I am using W X DVD Ripper Pro to convert, but have also tried handbrake to convert.
My missus has since told me that before I archive the DVD’s she wants access to special features and the likes as would be on the DVD.  My intention is to use *.ISO files and play these via Kodi. 
Now Kodi is the dogs bollox – I can do everything that Plex can do as well as play ISO’s and much, much, more that I still haven’t found out. 
However my question (albeit a bit general) is the audio from Kodi sounds pretty poor compared to the audio I get from plex whilst playing the same movie.   I have tried changing settings in Kodi, to allow pass through, or set up to have 5.1 channels, but it never seems to be as good.  
Is there something that I should be doing differently to get the best audio from Kodi or some settings that would improve my experience?
Apologies if this is a bit basic, I am very new to this. I did have a search through some threads, but couldnt find anything specific.   

However I have fallen in love with Kodi and need to get it working its best before show casing it too the missus and archive the DVD collection 😊
Kodi just hooks into the Windows Audio drivers. As long as they are setup correctly, you should get great sound.

Check your Audio drivers and surround is correctly set in windows...

Ensure you are using WASAPI for Audio Output Device and Passthrough... https://kodi.wiki/view/Settings/System/Audio

If you have Extras on your DVD's, then we have an Extras add-on... https://kodi.wiki/view/Extras

Have you used MakeMKV to backup your DVD's... http://www.makemkv.com/
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
Thanks for the great reply, I thought it was all through teh nvidia box, but will check my PC settings, will also have a read through the recommended articles.  

I havent used make MKV yet, if this allows me too retain the DVD features then all the better.  
Will tinker again tonight when I get home from work
A blooper from me. I read your Windows PC as your main install, so my Windows specific comments won't apply to the Nvidia Shield. (unless you are also running Kodi in your study)

I'll move you to Android.
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
After reading through this information, 

1. I cannot select a different Audio output device - inside Kodi it is a greyed out option with only Nvidia Shield Device.  
2. The KODI software is installed on my Nvidia shield and the PC holds the files only ( I shared the media folders from my PC with SMB:// to the Nvidia shield).
3. Reciever is not connected to the Windows PC so dont think any settings on Windows as suggested will help.

If there are any other suggestions I would happily try them out to get great sound.

thanks
OK thanks - just read that last post too
Ok, so absolutely not a Kodi problem. In fact quite the opposite. Kodi helped me understand that my receiver speakers were set up horribly wrong.

Sound seemed ok from other apps but Kodi sounded poor. Now I have set up my speakers correctly Kodi absolutely blast out excellent audio.

Problem solved.....now to start archiving those 1000 DVD’s
Thread marked solved.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Audio seems Poor - Am I doing something Silly0