Tonal mapping for HDR > SDR - when ?
When do you plan to implement "Tonal mapping" for HDR to SDR on Android TV Kodi version ?
We can't - it's all hidden in MediaCodec Surface. Blackbox - they do whatever they want.

If you want tone mapping, disable Mediacodec and Mediacodec Surface
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2019-05-03, 15:59)PeterMac Wrote: When do you plan to implement "Tonal mapping" for HDR to SDR on Android TV Kodi version ?

Such Tone mapping already works on AMLogic Android Nougat and onwards devices running any version of Kodi because such mapping operates independent of the media player software used.

(2019-05-03, 19:44)fritsch Wrote: We can't - it's all hidden in MediaCodec Surface. Blackbox - they do whatever they want.

If you want tone mapping, disable Mediacodec and Mediacodec Surface
When I disable Mediacodec and Mediacodec Surface on UHD BD movie I have slideshow Smile on Nvdia Shield TV not smooth picture.

Also when I compare same video UHD BD (ripped to HDD via MakeMKV) with HDR playing on SD TV Kodi on Windows 10 with even enabled Tone Mapping with Reinhard, and value set to 0,90, compare to Sony UDP-X700 standalone UHD Player picture quality is much better on Sony player compare to Kodi, better contrast blacks, colors, overall much better HDR-SDR conversion.

wrxtasy - how about Nvdia Shield TV ?
We await your PR to improve things.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2019-05-04, 12:07)PeterMac Wrote: wrxtasy - how about Nvidia Shield TV ?

If I have to be blunt, the Tegra X1 in the Shield was designed as a games machine SoC (Nintendo Switch) - that NVIDIA have patched together to run the virtually free Android TV OS and then add some HDR10 support. The Swiss Army knife that the Shield is works fine for most people.

Shield has no underlying Linux Kernel support for bt.2020 > bt.709 Tone mapping. And adding such support is pretty low on NVIDIA's support list I read. It's low priority because not many users actually need it.

Choose another hardware platform if you want video hardware decoding and HDR > SDR support.

(2019-05-04, 15:51)fritsch Wrote: We await your PR to improve things.

Here are some compare photos, KODI on Windows 10 vs Sony UDP-X700 player.
Exactly same display Sony TV settings on both inputs.

Picture on Win10 is washed out, and bit cool in colors, with not deep blacks/contrast.
https://i.postimg.cc/X7JW9PF2/20190505-212000.jpg
Sony UDP-X700
https://i.postimg.cc/Gpjg7Lnv/20190505-211940.jpg

wrxtasy - thank you for all informations, yes probably not most important thing, but would be great to have this tone mapping in future on Shield when will be possible to make in some way. Without this watching UHD BD rips on SD TV is really bad in PQ, even with enabled Tone Mapping on Win10 KODI is worse quality compare to HDR-SDR conversion from standalone UHD BD player.
Tone-Mapping has a parameter, you can use that to fine-tune. Also: kodi does not undesrtand every HDR format, means: without a Debug Log one cannot even say that it did something at all - from the screenshot it rather seems not.

Test this, please and check: https://4kmedia.org/lg-nasa-hdr-4k-demo/ this one
(2019-05-07, 19:00)fritsch Wrote: Tone-Mapping has a parameter, you can use that to fine-tune. Also: kodi does not undesrtand every HDR format, means: without a Debug Log one cannot even say that it did something at all - from the screenshot it rather seems not.

Test this, please and check: https://4kmedia.org/lg-nasa-hdr-4k-demo/ this one

I tested on Planet Earth II
Video: MPEG-H HEVC Video / 2160p / 23.976 fps / 16:9 / Main 10 @ Level 5.1 @ High / 10 bits / HDR10 / BT.2020

This Test file will be hard to test compare, because as I know my UHD player do not play 4K videos from pendrive/network, but I will check anyway.
Especially check the Tone-Mapping parameter. As we don't know the brightness of the screen exactly, we are just guessing.
(2019-05-04, 05:37)wrxtasy Wrote:
(2019-05-03, 15:59)PeterMac Wrote: When do you plan to implement "Tonal mapping" for HDR to SDR on Android TV Kodi version ?

Such Tone mapping already works on AMLogic Android Nougat and onwards devices running any version of Kodi because such mapping operates independent of the media player software used. 

Hi I'm new here.

I always thought the tone mapping in AML boxes were active when using libreelec or coreelec. The tone mapping didn't work on android. I have a Mecool M8s Pro L running Android TV OS Nougat, tone mapping did not work in the past.

Has that changed now with a Kodi update? or is there any other way tone mapping on AML boxes is now accessible on android?

I know the Mi Box has this setting since the Oreo update, but it's also been known to be buggy.

Thanks

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Tonal mapping for HDR > SDR - when ?0