Music Displays Both Artist and Album Artist
Before 18.2, the main list of Music showed the Names of the Artist tag. The Album Artist tag would be displayed if you clicked on an album for that artist, so you didn't end up with a number of Artists' variants listed in the main menu. I don't want multiple entries for Charlie Hunter, Charlie Hunter Quartet, Charlie Hunter Trio, etc. I went through every album in my collection that had one artist with a variety of performers to make it display only the featured artist's name.

Now, no matter what I enter for the Album Artist and Artist tags, I get multiple entries in the main list, and some albums appear in both two or more of those sub-lists. How do I get the lists to behave like before:

Main List (when you click Music on Home Page): Artist tag
Sub-list (when you click an album under the Artist: Album Artist tag.

If you want to display the multiple entries in the main list, just enter the same value in both the Artist tag and Album Artist tag. But different values for each should result in a distinct result, no?
(2019-05-15, 06:34)hurricane51 Wrote: Before 18.2, the main list of Music showed the Names of the Artist tag. The Album Artist tag would be displayed if you clicked on an album for that artist, so you didn't end up with a number of Artists' variants listed in the main menu. I don't want multiple entries for Charlie Hunter, Charlie Hunter Quartet, Charlie Hunter Trio, etc. I went through every album in my collection that had one artist with a variety of performers to make it display only the featured artist's name.

Now, no matter what I enter for the Album Artist and Artist tags, I get multiple entries in the main list, and some albums appear in both two or more of those sub-lists. How do I get the lists to behave like before:

If you want to display the multiple entries in the main list, just enter the same value in both the Artist tag and Album Artist tag. But different values for each should result in a distinct result, no?

Sorry -- I found that during the upgrade some of my settings were lost/change/modified (don't know/don't care). The important setting was "Show settings and album artists". Disabling that eliminated the multiple entries in the main list. Curiously, even though the setting is disabled, the name that is displayed in the Music list is actually the Album Artist tag, not the Artist tag. Seems counterintuitive.
(2019-05-15, 07:35)hurricane51 Wrote:
(2019-05-15, 06:34)hurricane51 Wrote: Before 18.2, the main list of Music showed the Names of the Artist tag. The Album Artist tag would be displayed if you clicked on an album for that artist, so you didn't end up with a number of Artists' variants listed in the main menu. I don't want multiple entries for Charlie Hunter, Charlie Hunter Quartet, Charlie Hunter Trio, etc. I went through every album in my collection that had one artist with a variety of performers to make it display only the featured artist's name.

Sorry -- I found that during the upgrade some of my settings were lost/change/modified (don't know/don't care). The important setting was "Show settings and album artists". Disabling that eliminated the multiple entries in the main list. Curiously, even though the setting is disabled, the name that is displayed in the Music list is actually the Album Artist tag, not the Artist tag. Seems counterintuitive. 
Even curiouser. I found that different programs show different values for Artist and Album Artist, using different terms and different values. My "reliable" tag editor for years shows the values for Artist and Album Artist exactly opposite from the audio editor GoldWave. Media Info uses the vague terms Performer and Accompaniment.

I've had my eyes opened.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Music Displays Both Artist and Album Artist0