HDMI vs optical from Ubuntu HTPC, ATMOS support?
I have a Yamaha CX-A5100 preamp on the way that I hope to install in my home theater in a couple weeks.  I was hoping that I could just run HDMI from the HTPC to the preamp, and then from the preamp to the projector.  But the manual for the Yamaha doesn't make it clear whether or not the HDMI port will allow ATMOS decoding.  Will I need to use optical SPDIF alongside the HDMI?  And for that matter, will KODI even be able to pass through an ATMOS stream to the preamp when using Ubuntu instead of Windows?  Just wanted to get my ducks in a row before the preamp arrives so I can be up and running ASAP.

Currently I'm just using the analog 7.1 audio outputs from the HTPC, and running them through a mixer and out to several Crown K2 amplifiers.  One of the reasons I picked this preamp is because it has the XLR outputs to run my existing amps directly, and I'll be able to get rid of the noisy onboard audio and mixer, not to mention having ATMOS support and room EQ etc., so hopefully it will be a nice upgrade.  It's been almost 20 years since I had a decoder of any type.
https://de.yamaha.com/files/download/oth...m_G_De.pdf

Thats a manual in german unfortunately. But if you look at "Technische Daten" the audio formats are being listed and your AVR is Atmos capable:

Audio-Format
- Dolby Atmos
- Dolby TrueHD
- Dolby Digital Plus
- Dolby Digital
- DTS-HD Master Audio
- DTS-HD High Resolution Audio
- DTS Express
- DTS
- DSD 2-Kan. bis 6-Kan.
- PCM 2-Kan. bis 8-Kan. (max. 192 kHz/24 Bit)

So a HDMI connection should do it. S/PDIF is only capable of doing 2 channels via PCM and if it comes to bitstreaming, S/PDIF is only capable of doing DTS and Dolby Digital. You won´t get HD audio formats via S/PDIF at all so there´s absolutely no need for using that if you are able to use HDMI

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HDMI vs optical from Ubuntu HTPC, ATMOS support?0