Please add full HDR and Dolby Vision Support to next kodi major Version
(2019-11-02, 09:23)Onbekend Wrote: Hello Everyone!

So now with the new nVidia Shield 2019 (Pro), nVidia has finally added support for DolbyVision. Hurray!  Big Grin

Does this mean that Kodi can now support DV or, better said, it would be possible to add this support to Kodi?
What kind of files would it then support? 
4K/UHD-Bluray-ISOs? 
4K/UHD-Bluray Folders?
M2TS-Files?

Would it be able to support all DV Profiles?

So MKVs don't officially support DV, but you can save both video tracks within the MKV-File.
Would KODI then be able to combine both streams and produce a DV-Output stream? 

I am currently using an nVidia Shield 2017 and basically would upgrade to 2019 primarily for the DV support.
Hope you can answer this question at this point in time.
I'm not a Kodi dev but I can shine some light for you. Shield only supports single-layer DV MP4 because the hardware decoder on it supports that format only. There is no hardware decoder on the Shield that supports dual-layer DV or any other DV profiles, whether in a MP4 or M2TS container. Given that BluRay Discs uses a dual-layer M2TS, don't count on that being supported either.

So you're probably going to see single-layer DV MP4 support really soon on Kodi since all they have to do is use the new hardware decoder for DV instead of the hardware decoder for HVEC. Quite easy to change in the software. 

As for combining a dual-layer DV into single-layer DV, this is a proprietary Dolby process that isn't publicly released. Which means no one really knows how to do it yet, at least not publicly. And even if someone reverse engineered the process, I doubt Kodi would add it in because it would require paying for a Dolby license or they would be in legal trouble. The only way right now to convert dual- to single-layer is to use DVDFab. I think DVDFab are using licensed proprietary Dolby programs to do the conversion which is why they can do it. I doubt they reverse engineered the process as that would be quite illegal for them to do and then sell it in their program.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Please add full HDR and Dolby Vision Support to next kodi major Version - by peacey - 2019-11-02, 23:21
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Please add full HDR and Dolby Vision Support to next kodi major Version2