• 81(current)
Release Kodi Matrix 19.0 HDR Edition
(2020-01-26, 20:34)fandangos Wrote: Except for the 3 fixes I mentioned both forks should be identical in relation to libbluray.

Also I have only changed that in the very last release on github so all previews between 3.0.1 and that one are the same.

I know the libaacs is broken in a very recent update. So if you are playing a original disc from a bluray drive that would be the cause. Still this is very very recent.

So I can't tell you what the problem might be since both versions are the same, mine and his, we both fork from kodi main branch and since the main branch now supports libbluray 1.1.2 there's no need for my self compiled version.

Also you mentioned you find it unstable with nvidia.
Do you have any other problem except for full discs blurays menus in the resume prompt?
Or it there anything else?

All folders ripped from disk

The only problem with your latest release is the broken resume with java menus and yogals I cannot get it completely smooth on play back with refresh rate enabled

Your 3 pr’s work but maybe this is a side effect have you got end game or cpt marvel these two show it and my go too for scenes at the moment
(2020-01-26, 12:58)fandangos Wrote:
(2020-01-26, 12:41)ichkriegediekri Wrote:
(2020-01-25, 19:00)fandangos Wrote: @ichkriegediekri 

Can you test this one? 
It works fine for me with AMD RX550. 

Made tons of changes in this new version.
And I maybe have figured out the Ryzen problem, I had the exact opposite of the ryzen problem: whenever I play a h.264 1080p file it would render in BT.2020. 

This was caused by the Radeon driver set to 12bits in 23hz mode. 
To solve it, I changed the display to 23hz, this can be done in windows settings -> go into radeon control panel -> change 12bits to 8bits for 23hz content. 
This solved the colors for REC.709 (SDR content). 

Now if this version here doesn't solve the ryzen problem, maybe you can just do the opposite of what I did. 
Set your desktop to 23hz, go into radeon settings and enable 12bits.

Do this all while mantaining RGB Full. 

And finally I've created a small code that will put Nvidia driver into 12bits mode automatically. 
You can do this manually by going into nvidia control panel and setting 23hz and changing to RGB FULL 12bits. 
This will bypass it. 

But since it's experimental you will need to create a advancedsettings.xml with 
<advancedsettings>
   <nvidia12bits>true</nvidia12bits>
</advancedsettings>

It is disabled by default. 

Any feedback is really appreciated from Nvidia and AMD users. 

Download here:
https://mega.nz/#!vAEmnCzR!MLx9o3wUClxMo...TPjjCecGt8

Hi
Sadly colors are still washed out in both HDR and SDR content.
My Windows desktop and therefore Kodi runs at 2160p 12bit @ 30hz - so 12bit Fulld RGB is already enabled by default.
Kodi is set to output limited colorpsace and the TV is set to full RGB - as recommended in the wiki.

Interestingly I have the same issue with jogals Version. 

The wiki says to have missmatched settings?
Can you point to me where is it?

Can you try having the kodi settings as default and try again?
And just enabling refresh rate change?

Install this fork in a folder somewhere and run as portable mode.
Just need to create a shortcut for kodi.exe and add -p to the executable line like this:
https://kodi.wiki/view/HOW-TO:Install_Ko...table_Mode

Here I had oversaturated colors because when running rec.709 sdr content it would output bt.2020 if 12 where turned on.

I see that you run your desktop at 30hz, why not 60hz? Is your tv hdmi 2.0 level A or B?
Does it support 4K 60hz RGB at 8bits? Or 4K 4:4:4 at 8bits at 60hz?

If have the time to do this tests can you:
Run sdr content at 8bits and 12bits and report each.
And the same for hdr?

An easy way to do so is that when Kodi changes the refresh rate, just alt tab and open radeon control panel and change the color bit depth.

I know Ryzen might have it's problems but this should not interfere with sdr content. 
Hi

I use HDMI 1.4 since the MB doesn't support 2.0.
Since all content is UHD 23,9fps max. it should not matter.
I setup the signal chain according to the wiki - Kodi (limited) - GPU full - TV limites (https://kodi.wiki/view/Video_levels_and_color_space)  Section 2.3 option 3
I use RGB 4:4:4 with 12 bits.

When I have setup Kodi Portable I will try your suggestions

All test I did were done with auto-refresh rate change.
(2020-01-26, 20:57)orby Wrote:
(2020-01-26, 20:34)fandangos Wrote: Except for the 3 fixes I mentioned both forks should be identical in relation to libbluray.

Also I have only changed that in the very last release on github so all previews between 3.0.1 and that one are the same.

I know the libaacs is broken in a very recent update. So if you are playing a original disc from a bluray drive that would be the cause. Still this is very very recent.

So I can't tell you what the problem might be since both versions are the same, mine and his, we both fork from kodi main branch and since the main branch now supports libbluray 1.1.2 there's no need for my self compiled version.

Also you mentioned you find it unstable with nvidia.
Do you have any other problem except for full discs blurays menus in the resume prompt?
Or it there anything else?

All folders ripped from disk

The only problem with your latest release is the broken resume with java menus and yogals I cannot get it completely smooth on play back with refresh rate enabled

Your 3 pr’s work but maybe this is a side effect have you got end game or cpt marvel these two show it and my go too for scenes at the moment

I'll grab those and test it but I find very difficult the changes I made be the cause.
Still I'll give this a go tomorrow.
(2020-01-26, 20:57)ichkriegediekri Wrote:
(2020-01-26, 12:58)fandangos Wrote:
(2020-01-26, 12:41)ichkriegediekri Wrote: Hi
Sadly colors are still washed out in both HDR and SDR content.
My Windows desktop and therefore Kodi runs at 2160p 12bit @ 30hz - so 12bit Fulld RGB is already enabled by default.
Kodi is set to output limited colorpsace and the TV is set to full RGB - as recommended in the wiki.

Interestingly I have the same issue with jogals Version. 

The wiki says to have missmatched settings?

Just need to create a shortcut for kodi.exe and add -p to the executable line like this:

Here I had oversaturated colors because when running rec.709 sdr content it would output bt.2020 if 12 where turned on.

I see that you run your desktop at 30hz, why not 60hz? Is your tv hdmi 2.0 level A or B?

And the same for hdr?

An easy way to do so is that when Kodi changes the refresh rate, just alt tab and open radeon control panel and change the color bit depth.

I know Ryzen might have it's problems but this should not interfere with sdr content. 
Hi

I setup the signal chain according to the wiki - Kodi (limited) - GPU full - TV limites (https://kodi.wiki/view/Video_levels_and_color_space)  Section 2.3 option 3

You RGB Full dynamic range? Let your tv do the math to compress the range or discard what's not used.

I prefer to follow madshi recommendation:

https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=146228

If you set limited range in kodi. It will have to do some math and probably will break other things.
Let your tv handle the dynamic range as everything in the pc space is 0-255.
This might solve your color problem.
(2020-01-26, 21:36)fandangos Wrote:
(2020-01-26, 20:57)ichkriegediekri Wrote:
(2020-01-26, 12:58)fandangos Wrote: The wiki says to have missmatched settings?

And the same for hdr?

Hi

You RGB Full dynamic range? Let your tv do the math to compress the range or discard what's not used.

I prefer to follow madshi recommendation:

https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=146228

If you set limited range in kodi. It will have to do some math and probably will break other things.
Let your tv handle the dynamic range as everything in the pc space is 0-255.
This might solve your color problem.  
Hi

When I set everything to 0-255 it will not display WTW and BTB. That is why one may prefer to set GPU 0-255 and TV and Kodi to 16-235 - then one can see WTW and BTB in the black and white clipping test.
that is pretty easy to test.

As for Kodi and math:
If all is set to 0-255 and Kodi plays a 16-235 file (like all content is) it will expand black and white levels to match 0-255 - hence no BTB and WTW. Here Kodi is doing the "math"

If GPU is set to 0-255 and Kodi is set to 16-235 and the TV also to 16-235 Kodi will do no math and just play the file like it is. Since the TV expects 16-235 all levels are displayed correctly and additionally BTB and WTW are supported.

Testing:
With your build I can get a better HDR PQ picture if I set everything to 0-255 - however HDR still is washed out compared to playback via MP with MadVR. So it is not only a 0-255 issue, there has to be something different causing this.
Additionally SDR is still looking totally weird, no matter what I set...strange

I also tested Jogal's build with everything set to 0-255 and here everything works just fine. HDR looks like with MadVR and SDR also seems in line with what my eyes are used to.
MadVR work fine with either setup.

So obviously both HDR implementations have an issue with the following setup:
GPU 0-255 / Player 16-235 / TV 16-235

and your build really does have an issue with Ryzen APU as it seems. But currently I have no idea how to dig deeper
(2020-01-26, 19:59)fandangos Wrote: You can do the other way around.
Use 60hz for your desktop.

Let kodi change to 23hz when needed.

This will give you a more fluid GUI.

I use DXVA for deinterlacing.
And I use lanczos3 for upscaling but I have a power pc here, 1080ti and i7 6700k.
So test if your system can handle it.

i understand the first part

i only use Kodi watch uhd 4k remux and 1080p remux rips on my 4k tv so do you stand by using lancoz3 or dxva or off for upscaling as surley i only need to upscale 1080p content upto 4k 

nvidia user 1080ti also
You are over complicating stuff.
If you already know that every content is 16-235 why would you need wtw and btb?
This is used only for calibration purposes, as you are aware of the test patterns.

And as you can see you get a better picture quality if just one of the devices does it and it should be the tv.
Again, much more detailed and technical information by Madshi in the link above.

As he states and it produces a consistent result, I would recommend using full range on your tv, full range on your gpu and full range on kodi.
Just use other settings for calibration purposes.

Either way is your setup and this is just an advice.

Now beyond that what puzzles me is that for the other user who had problems with Ryzen colors madvr produced the same exact washed out colors.
This is the expected result since the API part I use is almost identical to Madshi in Madvr.
I could not have come up with this part of the code back then without his help.

So both should have the same result.

Have you tested switching from 12bits to 8bits and vice versa at 23hz?

Also can you look in your logs it says "This device supports hdr10" or if it says this device DOES NOT support hdr10?
(2020-01-27, 00:33)kikassridec2 Wrote:

And I use lanczos3 for upscaling but I have a power pc here, 1080ti and i7 6700k.

i only use Kodi watch uhd 4k remux and 1080p remux rips on my 4k tv so do you stand by using lancoz3 or dxva or off for upscaling as surley i only need to upscale 1080p content upto 4k 

nvidia user 1080ti also

If it's progressive content 1080p you don't need to deinterlace.
You can use lanczos3 to upscale your 1080p content.
(2020-01-27, 00:36)fandangos Wrote: Have you tested switching from 12bits to 8bits and vice versa at 23hz?

Also can you look in your logs it says "This device supports hdr10" or if it says this device DOES NOT support hdr10?

I will try digging the logs tmrw. - But If my device would not show up as HDR10 why would the TV trigger the mode correctly?
(2020-01-27, 00:36)fandangos Wrote: You are over complicating stuff.

Yeah maybe ;-) - I used to run ycbrc 4:4:4 but switched to RGG as it is what most ppl recommend and the the Kodi Wiki proposed the 0-255 GPU with Kodi and TV limited approach - I can change that in 5 less Minutes.
But as I said above the picture with your build still looks different then with MadVR
(2020-01-27, 00:59)ichkriegediekri Wrote:
(2020-01-27, 00:36)fandangos Wrote: Have you tested switching from 12bits to 8bits and vice versa at 23hz?

I will try digging the logs tmrw. - But If my device would not show up as HDR10 why would the TV trigger the mode correctly? 

Just turning HDR on is part of the puzzle to produce a good picture. 

My tv actually has a limited bandwidth port, with the same bandwidth as 1.4. 
I'll put the RX550 in there tomorrow and test with it. 

This is the closest I can get to your setup here to test.

Can you test this one? 

And I maybe have figured out the Ryzen problem, I had the exact opposite of the ryzen problem: whenever I play a h.264 1080p file it would render in BT.2020. 

To solve it, I changed the display to 23hz, this can be done in windows settings -> go into radeon control panel -> change 12bits to 8bits for 23hz content. 

Now if this version here doesn't solve the ryzen problem, maybe you can just do the opposite of what I did. 

And finally I've created a small code that will put Nvidia driver into 12bits mode automatically. 
You can do this manually by going into nvidia control panel and setting 23hz and changing to RGB FULL 12bits. 
This will bypass it. 

<advancedsettings>
</advancedsettings>

Download here:
@fandangos I am unable to use this latest build because it's base on python 3 and I have way too many addons that are not yet updated, so I've been using you last python 2 build and have been quite happy with it. On this latest build however I see you have made it so 12bit is triggered and was interested to know how you accomplished this and if it could be implemented in the build i'm currently using? Thank you for all you have done.
Display: LG OLED77C9 | A/V Receiver: Denon AVR-X4500H | 2019 Nvidia Shield Tv Pro | Apple TV 4K | 2017 Roku Ultra | HTPC | Game PC | PS5 
(2020-01-27, 00:38)fandangos Wrote:
(2020-01-27, 00:33)kikassridec2 Wrote:

nvidia user 1080ti also 

If it's progressive content 1080p you don't need to deinterlace.
You can use lanczos3 to upscale your 1080p content. 

well for video upscaling it only offers me the options of dxva or auto so i have set it as dxva
(2020-01-27, 01:42)blackreign66 Wrote:

Can you test this one? 

This will bypass it. 

<advancedsettings>
</advancedsettings>

Download here:
@fandangos I am unable to use this latest build because it's base on python 3 and I have way too many addons that are not yet updated, so I've been using you last python 2 build and have been quite happy with it. On this latest build however I see you have made it so 12bit is triggered and was interested to know how you accomplished this and if it could be implemented in the build i'm currently using? Thank you for all you have done.

Some people require python 2.
Some require win32.

It's impossible to keep different builds for everyone.

I used NVAPI to get 12bits automatically but you can still use the python 2 build and get 12 bits.
Just go to nvidia control panel > change resolution > set use nvidia colors and while in 60hz set RGB 8bits full range.
Apply.
Change to 23hz and now 12bits will be available.
Set it and apply.
Change back to 60hz.

Now when you play a video and the refresh rate changes to 23hz it will be in 12bits color.
(2020-01-27, 02:00)fandangos Wrote:
(2020-01-27, 01:42)blackreign66 Wrote:

Can you test this one? 

This will bypass it. 

<advancedsettings>
</advancedsettings>

Download here:

Some people require python 2.
Some require win32.

It's impossible to keep different builds for everyone.

I used NVAPI to get 12bits automatically but you can still use the python 2 build and get 12 bits.
Just go to nvidia control panel > change resolution > set use nvidia colors and while in 60hz set RGB 8bits full range.
Apply.
Change to 23hz and now 12bits will be available.
Set it and apply.
Change back to 60hz.

Now when you play a video and the refresh rate changes to 23hz it will be in 12bits color.

Yes I’m aware of this method but it doesn’t survive a reboot. Your latest build is consistent even after rebooting.
Display: LG OLED77C9 | A/V Receiver: Denon AVR-X4500H | 2019 Nvidia Shield Tv Pro | Apple TV 4K | 2017 Roku Ultra | HTPC | Game PC | PS5 
  • 81(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi Matrix 19.0 HDR Edition9