• 83(current)
Release Kodi Matrix 19.0 HDR Edition
(2020-01-28, 09:07)snapo6 Wrote:
(2020-01-28, 00:57)orby Wrote: Made some key binding changes and can safely say your version is almost perfect for me now so again many thanks for all your work and time invested in this

And those changes are? Would be good to share so it might help the community

Changes to my remote for pop up menu and menu buttons, but I am looking at kodi bindings so if I find something useful I will share, everything I set up has to be wife friendly hehe so explaining she needs to do this to make the resume feature work needs to be easy
(2020-01-27, 16:38)fandangos Wrote:
(2020-01-27, 16:20)ichkriegediekri Wrote:
(2020-01-27, 14:51)fandangos Wrote: @ichkriegediekri 

I'm testing with my HDMI input limited to 1.4 bandwidth. 

Are you sure you are using RGB 4:4:4 with 12bits? 
Here, even at 23hz, I have no option to enable 12bits on RGB Full, only on YCbCr. 

And again, what happens is the same, if 12bits is enabled the display will be in BT.2020 even for SDR content. 

Here some picture for reference:

And every combination I do, all I can have here is oversaturated colors. 

If you can provide a log with the following:
1. Set TV to Full Range
2. Set RGB 4:4:4 PC standard Full range
3. Install my fork somewhere and use as portable to avoid using any kind of pre existing database. 
4. Be sure during playback that 8bits is the output on Radeon control panel when 23hz is switched. 

Else, I'm out of ideas, not even with reduced bandwidth I can reproduce washed out colors.
It even works at 60hz with limited hdmi bandwidth with correct colors.
Ok, I will do that this evening.

Are you saying that wahtever you play at more than 8bits display output you always get oversaturated colors? And the only setup that works is using 8bit as a Radeon setting?  

For SDR content, yes. 
SDR content, in video release formats, like DVDs and Blurays, are always 8bits. 
Of course you can find, specially Anime fansubs that convert those 8bits content to 10bits mkv or mp4 video files but that's an exception. 

So, based on all the testings I could do here:
If 12bits is enabled, no matter what content is being played it will output as BT.2020. 
For BT.2020 content this is fine. For SDR content this is not ok and will result in oversaturated colors. 
Hi

As for SDR content it does not matter which Hz the display is on or what depth the color is -8 10 12bit - all the same washed out colors for my SDR content.
Just by visual comparison with MadVR HDR look OK.

BUT here is what I noticed with SDR content:
When I play one of the few left x264 codec based 1080p files the colors are OK it is NOT washed out.
However most of my files are x265 and they all look washed out.
I gotta dig more in my library to find some x264 files to confirm this.
Finally something I can reproduce here! It's really hard to work blindly. 

The problem is in DXVA somewhere. 

A quick fix for your SD files, open the settings menu (the cog wheel on the top left corner), go to player settings and change renderer method from AUTO to Pixel Shader. 
Colors will be correct. 

For HDR, the user @_DMU_ has been of great help testing several builds and this is the situation.
It is 100% a bug in AMD drivers. It affects both Ryzen and the 5700 series. 
You can read people discussing it here:
https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=176013&page=48

The situation is that metadata is passed flawlessly, HDR flag is OK, but the BT.2020 flag does not show up. 
So dessaturated colors. 

The workaround is turning Windows HDR toggle to On. 
You can do this before opening kodi, just going into Windows Display settings, turning it on and colors will be correct. 
This is not a good solution for the end user so I can make it automatic BUT.... and a huge but..
The code we have to turn HDR on will default the refresh rate back to 60hz. 
So this will kill 23hz playback.

The other possible solution is that I can create a shortcut like CTRL+H and this will toggle HDR on and OFF... but... you will have to enable it before starting the movie. 
If you turn it while the movie is playing it will default back to 60hz. 

That windows toggle freaking sucks.. because you can't turn it automatically before the playback starts because there's no data to know which video is HDR or not. 
You can't toggle it durring playback or else it will put your display back to 60hz.
So, it's to me impossible with what I know, probably someone more experienced could comeup with a solution but this is the best I can provide to fix for Ryzen iGPUs.
(2020-01-28, 22:43)fandangos Wrote: Finally something I can reproduce here! It's really hard to work blindly. 

A quick fix for your SD files, open the settings menu (the cog wheel on the top left corner), go to player settings and change renderer method from AUTO to Pixel Shader. 
Colors will be correct. 

For HDR, the user @_DMU_ has been of great help testing several builds and this is the situation.

The situation is that metadata is passed flawlessly, HDR flag is OK, but the BT.2020 flag does not show up. 
So dessaturated colors. 

You can do this before opening kodi, just going into Windows Display settings, turning it on and colors will be correct. 
This is not a good solution for the end user so I can make it automatic BUT.... and a huge but..

The other possible solution is that I can create a shortcut like CTRL+H and this will toggle HDR on and OFF... but... you will have to enable it before starting the movie. 

That windows toggle freaking sucks.. because you can't turn it automatically before the playback starts because there's no data to know which video is HDR or not. 
You can't toggle it durring playback or else it will put your display back to 60hz.
So, it's to me impossible with what I know, probably someone more experienced could comeup with a solution but this is the best I can provide to fix for Ryzen iGPUs.
Hi
I will try to verif with pixel shades tmrw morning.

But why do some ppl with AMD graphics have washed out colors in HDR PQ mode and some don't?
I only have washed out HDR colors if my processing chain is not 100% 0-255

Maybe this also applies to other as well?

Additionally it still begs the question why MadVR works flawless even wit my previous setup of GPU FULLRGB, Kodi limited RGB and TV limited RGB

Weird
(2020-01-29, 00:08)ichkriegediekri Wrote:
(2020-01-28, 22:43)fandangos Wrote: Finally something I can reproduce here! It's really hard to work blindly. 

Colors will be correct. 

So dessaturated colors. 

Hi
I will try to verif with pixel shades tmrw morning.

But why do some ppl with AMD graphics have washed out colors in HDR PQ mode and some don't?
I only have washed out HDR colors if my processing chain is not 100% 0-255

Maybe this also applies to other as well?

Additionally it still begs the question why MadVR works flawless even wit my previous setup of GPU FULLRGB, Kodi limited RGB and TV limited RGB

Weird 

It's a bug. The metadata goes ok, the HDR flag shows up but the colorspace flag does not show up. 
This makes the TV turn HDR mode, receive the metadata, but expect a colorspace called bt.709, while the player is sending bt.2020. 
Because of this missmatch the colors are dessaturated. 

And why it's different for each system?
Because there are several architectures of AMD gpus, including mobile and desktop versions, that are different. 
Each TV has it's own EDID, that tells the system what kind of color, resolution, refresh rate is can display.
I have a HDMI 2.0 level B, you have a hdmi 1.4. This makes a difference. 
People have receivers and use different kind of cables, like displayport, hdmi.. 

It's really hard to accomodate the entire pc ecosystem, it's not like a closed down system like a BluRay player. 

And why you get correct colors with everything set the exact the same? 0 - 255 for everything?
Part of the explanation you can read on Madvr thread I linked you. 
And you are not performing unecessary convertions in any parts of the chain.
This avoid problems. 
Letting just the TV to adjust to 0-255.
(2020-01-21, 19:01)fandangos Wrote: Well, I don't have a colormeter here for calibration to point it out exactly the levels or a hd fury to measure the metadata. 

Both are on different inputs on my tv. 
Those are not the same frame.
And the picture were taken with a crap cellphone camera. 

So it would be amazing if all those factors - even if the code is wrong - could produce the same mistaken. 

Either way, this is kind of discontinued for now, Jogal's fork got measured by a HD Fury and it's spot on with the metadata. 
I can't do any kind of measurement here.

Edit: just in case, you are on nvidia or amd?

Since your eyes are better than mine. I made some small changes in the math of the hdr code for nvidia

ImageImage
@dominik69 were you able to test how it looks like to you with the latest builds in the end? I have a nVidia 1080, did some comparisons myself, and if something, it seems a bit more yellowish indeed, but I would say it is difficult to appreciate, so since I don't trust my eyes, I was curious if someone else was seeing it. But in general I think the quality is very good if not perfect, and working like a charm since it now also automatically switches to 12 bits Smile
I don't know if this will help you or not as a workaround?  If engaging HDR forces 60Hz, adding this toggle should force 24Hz and vice versa.

Use open source https://sourceforge.net/projects/qres/ with this script:

(function() {
       var refreshRate = 0;
       // Get current refresh rate
       var wmiService = GetObject('WinMgmts://./root/cimv2');
       refreshRate = new Enumerator(
           wmiService.ExecQuery('SELECT * FROM Win32_VideoController WHERE Availability <> 8')
       ).item(0).CurrentRefreshRate;

if (typeof refreshRate != 'number' || refreshRate === 0) {
           WScript.Echo('Duh. Cannot determine current refresh rate.');
       } else {
           // Run QRes.exe to change refresh rate
           var fs = new ActiveXObject('Scripting.FileSystemObject');
           var shell = new ActiveXObject('WScript.Shell');
           shell.Run(fs.GetAbsolutePathName(fs.BuildPath(
               fs.GetParentFolderName(WScript.ScriptFullName), 'QRes.exe')
               ) + ' /x 3840 /y 2160 /r:' + (refreshRate >= 59 ? 24 : 60), 0, true);
       }
 })();
HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players iso menus
DIY HOME THEATER WIND EFFECT

W11 Pro 24H2 MPC-BE\HC madVR KODI 22 GTX960-4GB/RGB 4:4:4/Desktop 60Hz 8bit Video Matched Refresh rates 23,24,50,60Hz 8/10/12bit/Samsung 82" Q90R Denon S720W
It's a workaround for a workaround for a bug that infects just a few particular models of a particular brand.

This is to avoid pressing a button before playback starts.

I've opened an issue on amd ags github. Hopefully someone will show up.
Honestly I'm looking at this for the past few days.

I think I'll redo what I did once, hijack kodi screenshot shortcut that works no matter what and put the hdr switch there.
If you press during movie playback it will fix the colors but will set 60hz.
If you press before opening the video file everything is fine.
(2020-01-25, 19:00)fandangos Wrote: And finally I've created a small code that will put Nvidia driver into 12bits mode automatically. 
You can do this manually by going into nvidia control panel and setting 23hz and changing to RGB FULL 12bits. 
This will bypass it. 

But since it's experimental you will need to create a advancedsettings.xml with 
<advancedsettings>
   <nvidia12bits>true</nvidia12bits>
</advancedsettings>

It is disabled by default. 

Any feedback is really appreciated from Nvidia and AMD users. 

Download here:
https://mega.nz/#!vAEmnCzR!MLx9o3wUClxMo...TPjjCecGt8
Thanks again for the work you've put into this, fandangos!

Question: When you say that this setting automatically enables 12 bits, do you mean that it'll automatically enable it when you start Kodi? Or that it'll automatically enable once you start a movie (or video file that runs at 23/24 Hz)? Does it automatically enable for all movies, just HDR movies, or just movies with more than 8-bit color? And does this persist through all movies you watch afterwards, even if it's just an SDR, 8-bit movie?

I'm using an Nvidia GPU, BTW.
(2020-01-21, 01:36)fandangos Wrote: And about the frame glitching.
Now that I have kodi doing everything I ever wanted it to do: automatic hdr, perfect colors, dvd, bluray, uhd bluray with iso and bdmv support I have been using it a lot.
Never noticed any frame glitching with my build.

And yes, all the latest builds use the latest ffmpeg.
Well that's unfortunate. The glitching is very distracting on my end using your final final. I don't notice any difference in the frequency of glitches between it and the original 3.x version I originally found. It occurs on both 720/1080p and 4k UHD mkvs. I went back to MadVR for 4k, but don't have an option for the standard HD versions.
(2020-01-29, 18:12)fandangos Wrote: It's a workaround for a workaround for a bug that infects just a few particular models of a particular brand.

I think I'll redo what I did once, hijack kodi screenshot shortcut that works no matter what and put the hdr switch there.
Would it be possible to make one last build from the python 2 base with the latest changes? That would be absolutely awesome
(2020-01-30, 07:48)Mordred Wrote:
Now that I have kodi doing everything I ever wanted it to do: automatic hdr, perfect colors, dvd, bluray, uhd bluray with iso and bdmv support I have been using it a lot.

Well that's unfortunate. The glitching is very distracting on my end using your final final. I don't notice any difference in the frequency of glitches between it and the original 3.x version I originally found. It occurs on both 720/1080p and 4k UHD mkvs. I went back to MadVR for 4k, but don't have an option for the standard HD versions. 
Why not use madVR for both HD and 4K? That's what I'm doing for exactly the same reason (hitching).
(2020-01-30, 10:31)Cinephile Wrote:
(2020-01-30, 07:48)Mordred Wrote:

Why not use madVR for both HD and 4K? That's what I'm doing for exactly the same reason (hitching).
Probably because MadVR isn't part of Kodi an requires an external player with extra configuration etc..
(2020-01-30, 04:16)bleakassassin Wrote:
(2020-01-25, 19:00)fandangos Wrote: And finally I've created a small code that will put Nvidia driver into 12bits mode automatically. 
You can do this manually by going into nvidia control panel and setting 23hz and changing to RGB FULL 12bits. 
This will bypass it. 

But since it's experimental you will need to create a advancedsettings.xml with 
<advancedsettings>
   <nvidia12bits>true</nvidia12bits>
</advancedsettings>

It is disabled by default. 

Any feedback is really appreciated from Nvidia and AMD users. 

Download here:
https://mega.nz/#!vAEmnCzR!MLx9o3wUClxMo...TPjjCecGt8
Thanks again for the work you've put into this, fandangos!

Question: When you say that this setting automatically enables 12 bits, do you mean that it'll automatically enable it when you start Kodi? Or that it'll automatically enable once you start a movie (or video file that runs at 23/24 Hz)? Does it automatically enable for all movies, just HDR movies, or just movies with more than 8-bit color? And does this persist through all movies you watch afterwards, even if it's just an SDR, 8-bit movie?

I'm using an Nvidia GPU, BTW.   
It uses 12 bit when switching the refresh rate to something < 30Hz, for all kind of videos (HDR and SDR). I don't think anybody know what nVidia does exactly in this case, but I hope it just adds some padding and nothing else.

In any case, I was getting some visible dithering (from up close) when I was playing 10 bit HDR files in previous versions (because they were played at 8 bits), but now no dithering seems to be in use, and no banding also. For 8 bit files, I get no banding either (Even using a Full-Full RGB chain)
Smile 
(2020-01-30, 09:47)ichkriegediekri Wrote:
(2020-01-29, 18:12)fandangos Wrote: It's a workaround for a workaround for a bug that infects just a few particular models of a particular brand.

Would it be possible to make one last build from the python 2 base with the latest changes? That would be absolutely awesome

I’m co-signing this request
Display: LG OLED77C9 | A/V Receiver: Denon AVR-X4500H | 2019 Nvidia Shield Tv Pro | Apple TV 4K | 2017 Roku Ultra | HTPC | Game PC | PS5 
  • 83(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi Matrix 19.0 HDR Edition9