Kodi with 2TB External HDD NTFS Firestick 4K
Before i start, I'm a complete newbie to KODI and Firestick. Just got my firestick 4K couple of weeks ago.

I have a Denon AVR2400 Receiver, and I'm connecting my firestick 4K through its media player HDMI output.

Here are my questions

1. How to connect my external hard disk to firestick 4k (2TB WD elements in NTFS Format)

2. If not by connecting directly, How can I share my media files (4K HDR 15GB+ FILES) directly to KODI without any quality Loss? 
I've used DLNA playback from my Laptop but it is not good with big files. (Source Too Slow For Continuous Playback message top right corner of Kodi) while 4K playback.

Another issue that I'm having is that, I have set audio to passthrough mode, And I'm still not getting Atmos, DTSHD or DTS-X on my receiver. Only DD+ or Dolby Surround (All through DLNA playback.)

Please guide me through
(2019-08-02, 08:38)ashik Wrote: Before i start, I'm a complete newbie to KODI and Firestick. Just got my firestick 4K couple of weeks ago.

I have a Denon AVR2400 Receiver, and I'm connecting my firestick 4K through its media player HDMI output.

Here are my questions

1. How to connect my external hard disk to firestick 4k (2TB WD elements in NTFS Format)

2. If not by connecting directly, How can I share my media files (4K HDR 15GB+ FILES) directly to KODI without any quality Loss? 
I've used DLNA playback from my Laptop but it is not good with big files. (Source Too Slow For Continuous Playback message top right corner of Kodi) while 4K playback.

Another issue that I'm having is that, I have set audio to passthrough mode, And I'm still not getting Atmos, DTSHD or DTS-X on my receiver. Only DD+ or Dolby Surround (All through DLNA playback.)

Please guide me through

I'm by no means a firestick expert but direct connections with NTFS (OTG presumably?) are problematic on many android devices.
When you have tried it over the network which band of wifi are you using and whats the throughput like? can you run anything like speedtest.net? if you are in the 2.4Ghz band if so it's worth regularly checking your channel spread with something like wifi analyser. 

15GB should be ok. I play much bigger than that over the network with little effort. Though not DLNA I admit.

BUT I tend to have to use 5GHz wifi for good results on the bigger files 20GB+ and I have tuned network settings in advancedsettings.xml examples here - HOW-TO:Modify_the_video_cache (wiki) but there are specific posts reading kodi buffering an firestick I found this link near the top of google which looks pretty comprehensive https://www.kodifiretvstick.com/fire-tv-buffering-fix/

Hope that helps. 

Personally I set up FTP on a PC so I could port forward to the Internet if needed handy for streaming your collection on the go.
(2019-08-02, 10:57)curioct Wrote:
(2019-08-02, 08:38)ashik Wrote: Before i start, I'm a complete newbie to KODI and Firestick. Just got my firestick 4K couple of weeks ago.

Here are my questions

Please guide me through

I'm by no means a firestick expert but direct connections with NTFS (OTG presumably?) are problematic on many android devices.
When you have tried it over the network which band of wifi are you using and whats the throughput like? can you run anything like speedtest.net? if you are in the 2.4Ghz band if so it's worth regularly checking your channel spread with something like wifi analyser. 

15GB should be ok. I play much bigger than that over the network with little effort. Though not DLNA I admit.

BUT I tend to have to use 5GHz wifi for good results on the bigger files 20GB+ and I have tuned network settings in advancedsettings.xml examples here - HOW-TO:Modify_the_video_cache (wiki) but there are specific posts reading kodi buffering an firestick I found this link near the top of google which looks pretty comprehensive https://www.kodifiretvstick.com/fire-tv-buffering-fix/

Hope that helps. 

Personally I set up FTP on a PC so I could port forward to the Internet if needed handy for streaming your collection on the go.

15-20GB 1080p files mostly play without any buffering. 4K is the main problem. Can you tell me another way to stream without re-encoding again. And how to setup an FTP server?
(2019-08-02, 21:19)ashik Wrote:
(2019-08-02, 08:38)ashik Wrote: <snip>

15-20GB 1080p files mostly play without any buffering. 4K is the main problem. Can you tell me another way to stream without re-encoding again. And how to setup an FTP server? 

If you're on wireless make sure it's 5Ghz or you have the free channel space for higher end 2.4Ghz (as per my first response) other wise ethernet cable? 
Then look at network tuning in advancedsettings.xml (check the wiki)
(2019-08-03, 12:49)curioct Wrote:

If you're on wireless make sure it's 5Ghz or you have the free channel space for higher end 2.4Ghz (as per my first response) other wise ethernet cable? 
Then look at network tuning in advancedsettings.xml (check the wiki)

I'm wireless and on 2.4GHZ.
(2019-08-03, 13:17)ashik Wrote:

Then you are probably close to the limit, I would definitely check out tweaking the advancedsettings.xml

I would also recommend wifi analyzer from play store to check your channels 

what can happen in this band is that older devices can drag overall network speed down so you might have a fast capable AP and device but still get no where close to the top WiFi possible in the 2.4Ghz band 

personally I ended up upgrading to 5Ghz bands
(2019-08-03, 18:01)curioct Wrote:
(2019-08-03, 13:17)ashik Wrote:

Then you are probably close to the limit, I would definitely check out tweaking the advancedsettings.xml

I would also recommend wifi analyzer from play store to check your channels 

what can happen in this band is that older devices can drag overall network speed down so you might have a fast capable AP and device but still get no where close to the top WiFi possible in the 2.4Ghz band 

personally I ended up upgrading to 5Ghz bands 
I have around 9-9.5Mbps net speed. Does this have any effect on 4K playback besides 5 or 2.4GHZ bands?
(2019-08-04, 07:48)ashik Wrote:
(2019-08-03, 18:01)curioct Wrote: I have around 9-9.5Mbps net speed. Does this have any effect on 4K playback besides 5 or 2.4GHZ bands?

that wont be enough for 4K
(2019-08-04, 15:55)curioct Wrote:
(2019-08-04, 07:48)ashik Wrote:
(2019-08-03, 18:01)curioct Wrote: I have around 9-9.5Mbps net speed. Does this have any effect on 4K playback besides 5 or 2.4GHZ bands?

that wont be enough for 4K

Then what speed do u recommend for smooth 4k HDR playback? 20mbps enough?
personally I'd take a look at something like this https://www.droidviews.com/enjoy-hevc-h-...n-android/

I would download each of the files then then play them from the local device, not all HVEC decoding is equal I have a number of device that claim to support it and some are way better than others 

Then I would move to doing the same over the network 

for reference I'm pretty sure that netflix (as an example) recommend a minimum of 25Mbps for their 4K services 

I have single films that are 100GB+ so on that basis you will need to be able to download that faster than it plays so for this file you'd be looking 110-120Mbps https://www.download-time.com/
(2019-08-06, 17:37)curioct Wrote: personally I'd take a look at something like this https://www.droidviews.com/enjoy-hevc-h-...n-android/

I would download each of the files then then play them from the local device, not all HVEC decoding is equal I have a number of device that claim to support it and some are way better than others 

for reference I'm pretty sure that netflix (as an example) recommend a minimum of 25Mbps for their 4K services 

I have single films that are 100GB+ so on that basis you will need to be able to download that faster than it plays so for this file you'd be looking 110-120Mbps https://www.download-time.com/

oh and at those bigger size you might also encounter disk read speed issues on NAS or older drives
(2019-08-06, 17:39)curioct Wrote:
(2019-08-06, 17:37)curioct Wrote: personally I'd take a look at something like this https://www.droidviews.com/enjoy-hevc-h-...n-android/

oh and at those bigger size you might also encounter disk read speed issues on NAS or older drives
Ok thanks a lot for the help

I've setup an SMB sharing via my laptop to the firestick 4k.
Again the problem I'm having is that my receiver is showing ''multi in" instead of dtshd or Dolby Atmos. I've set the audio as passthrough enabled. Still getting Multi in msg
I cant help you with firestick specifics I don't know the device try a firestick forum?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi with 2TB External HDD NTFS Firestick 4K0