Req Maintainer field for xbmc.python.module extensions
With the switch to Python 3 I've been taking some time to hunt down dependencies for my addons to get an idea of where things are; and if updates will need to be done to them as well. 

For addons that extend xbmc.python.module it's really hard to find the maintainer in many cases. The provider attribute for the addon has the original library author name, and all the source links refer to the original libraries as well. This definitely makes sense as these are just wrapped up versions of existing libraries and you want to point out where they came from. The issue though is that it's not clear which Kodi developer is maintaining these addons. 

I think it would be great to add a "maintainer" attribute to either the module extension, or somewhere in the meta data for these types of addons. This would be really useful for those of us using these dependencies. We could simply check the addon.xml file and see who to contact. A lot of times it would make tracking down repositories on Github easier too if you do want to do a pull request or something to bring an addon up to date.
i'm not sure of python modules are really 'maintained' by someone.
as far as i'm concerned anyone can submit an updated module directly to the kodi addon repo.
Do not PM or e-mail Team-Kodi members directly asking for support.
Always read the Forum rules, Kodi online-manual, FAQ, Help and Search the forum before posting.
Their not maintained by anyone. Modules are submitted once an add-on needs it, that's the reason we enforce keeping the same author name as the upstream module. If you find some module doesn't work with py3 it might be as easy as looking in pipy for an updated version of the module.
I guess if that's the case I'll just try and hit the ones that need it as they come. I was concerned about duplicating work of someone was already sort of taking care of specific libraries but I suppose since it's really just the main library code packaged up it shouldn't matter. Thanks.
Nah, modules tend to get outdated if they just work for the job of the add-on using them ...unfortunately. There are a few exceptions like requests or beautifulsoup.
Please submit updates for the modules you use if you find them not supporting py3 - it's much appreciated.
(2019-08-28, 19:51)enen92 Wrote: Their not maintained by anyone. Modules are submitted once an add-on needs it, that's the reason we enforce keeping the same author name as the upstream module. If you find some module doesn't work with py3 it might be as easy as looking in pipy for an updated version of the module.

This does not apply to all modules... some modules require added code for Kodi support and are not 100% clones. I tend to add my name as the author when custom code is needed.
Image Lunatixz - Kodi / Beta repository
Image PseudoTV - Forum | Website | Youtube | Help?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Maintainer field for xbmc.python.module extensions0