Android 2019 - Amazon Fire TV Cube - AMLogic S922Z
(2022-03-16, 20:15)Eleanor Wrote:
Quote: 
No, and yes.

The cube is designed to play internet streaming video. It is also designed to double up as an Alexa smart speaker. It does an okay job of that. It is not designed to run Kodi or play blu ray rips.
Thanks. What are a good devices then for blu ray rips? Something that can pass through all modern audio standards. My shiny new Onkyo receiver has a dozen of them: Dolby Vision (not required but a nice to have), Dolby Atmos, Dolby True HD, Dolby Surround, THX Select, DTS:X, DTS Virtual:X, DTS: Neural:X, DTS-HD.

For now, I tried my Fire Stick 4K from another TV, and the results are weird:

- Kodi has 2 audio devices listed - "RAW audio/Android..." and "...Kodi (recommended)". If I select the Android one, I have a "pass-through" toggle with only 2 dolby toggles (no DTS). When I select the Android device, I have 2 extra toggles: DTS and DTS-HD. But if I select any ot those toggles - I get no sound at all. Receiver shows PCM. If I only select general "pass-through" toggles - I have sound, but my receiver always shows DD light, so no DTS is working. I think it's resampled to DD. And I don't think any recent variations of DD are working either.

- Fire TV Stick has "best available" in Audio. I tried all options, but they either don't work well at all, or do the similar thing: DD is shown on the Receiver. Cube may be different, but not sure about that...

- Video seems to work fine, but HDR doesn't want to work with my projector, which is supposed to work  in HDR mode. If Fire TV Stick is set up for HDR (12-bit or 10-bit color), and Projector is set to HDR or Aito, colors are washed out. But if I set the sitck to 10bit color and Projector to SDR - it looks fine. I guess colors are remapped to SDR, I can live with that. I had a huge problem with Kodi on PC that couldn't work that out.

All advies welcome.

Messages In This Thread
RE: 2019 - Amazon Fire TV Cube - AMLogic S922Z - by romandesign - 2022-03-19, 00:54
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
2019 - Amazon Fire TV Cube - AMLogic S922Z0