• 26(current)
XBMP has better video quality than XBMC?
i'm using 720p and any "white lines" are just as noticeable in the hq shader mode as in the hardware overlays mode. i have to look really close mind you, and am not convinced that the lines i'm seeing aren't just the grill-effect from the screen.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

please send a look to :

http://membres.lycos.fr/sebfr26/testxbmc/

you will find 4 items ...

1) a snapshot, to see what vp6 movies looks like with new build ... lol ... only with combo ... pixshad works fine ...

2) 3 test movies where you can see verticals lines, you also can se that with a 320 width movie, there are a lot of large vertical lines, and with 672 width, no vertical lines ( in 720*576 16:9 tv pal ) ... so it may not be the enlarge process that create this lines, but ... Confusedaint:

test must be done using hardware overlay render metod

emefbiemef : i'm sorry, but with new build, i'm not able to see your short video ... too short i thing ... Blush

nb: all test was done with 2005-03-04 cvs full build
no one have something to say about this ? Image

does anybody test clip ? ... see lines ? ... test vp6 codec ?

:help:
i did try your test320, test640 + test 672 + the clip from emefbiemef

and i must admit i never saw any vertical white lines, ever. i must be lucky...

i ran tests with both :
- 2005-02-14 own build using the alternative mplayer (own build same date). combo filter, high quality, mid quality or yuv all gave no vertical lines
- 2005-03-07 own build using built-in 'new' mplayer in \system. again no vertical lines were seeable with any filter incl. combo.

my setup :
xbox 1.3 with advance scart cable plugged on a 16:9 crt tv running pal 16:9 mode

edit : i might be silly but what's that 'vp6' codec u're refering to. mplayer always runs all my avi files with its built-in ffmpeg
hum ... really strange ... i also have advance scart cable on crt 16/9 tv in wide format ... pal 720*576 50hz ... i have xbox 1.5 ... and i can see lines, they are really visible ...

i will take photo of lines ... :nuts: ...

i don't think it's my tv, because line width change with input video width ... any idea ?
if i can, i will try this on another xbox ...

nb: vp6 is imho the best codec in the world ... by on2 ... :thumbsup:
no vertical lines on my tv, too. the clips look the same with windows media player.
hum ... looks like i am the only one who have this lines ... really strange ...
i'll take photo for you don't think i'm totally crazy ... lol :agree:

does anybody try with 1.5 xbox ? :nuts:
i see them, very faintly though, nothing that i would actually be able to see in a moving video most likely.
(deltop @ mar. 08 2005,17:03 Wrote:i see them, very faintly though, nothing that i would actually be able to see in a moving video most likely.
ok, thanks so i'm not totaly crazy ... :bowdown:

... does devs have an idea how to correct this bug ? ...

on my tv, lines looks ( with 320 clip ):

[removed][_img]http://membres.lycos.fr/sebfr26/testxbmc/seb_320_1.jpg[/img]

more result photos on : http://membres.lycos.fr/sebfr26/testxbmc/

imho, it's very easy to see them ... and the first time i see them, it was in a real movie ... Image

maybe it's a contrast/brightness problem, but my tv have been calibrated with thx tools ... so ...

ps: if you look fine, you could also see horizontal line due to vertical resizing ... in blue part at right ...

dev : what cpp file/function is used to resize for combo render ?
is it the same than in pixel shader ?
@seb.26: i looked at your new screenshots on your site, and yes : they're really 'ugly' (i.e. your 'white lines' i mean, not your shots:-))

i was just wondering what's the codec used by your mplayer to decode those test samples. on my setup 'ffmpeg' is used as for all my .avis really. could this be that you're forcing use your favorite vp6 codec and would that explain your problem ?

if not maybe consider a fresh xbmc rebuild. mine from 2005-03-07 gives perfect results.
i've done test with xvid since vp6 is broken with combo render ... Image ... my first test was done in vp6 ...

but, i doubt it's codec, because the lines only appear with combo render, not with pixel shaders ... maybe i'm wrong ...

anyway, i will stop to fill this post with my problem until i have done test with other xbox ... build today cvs ( like every day lol ) ... and try to have a look into source code ( lol :nuts: )

thanks to all for help ... Smile

[edit]
after reading some piece of xbmc code, i doubt the problem is in xbmc comborender ... i will try some test ... soon ... lol ... the problem is in the dark forces side ... or in my box hardware ?! :nuts:
[endofedit]
some tv's (especially rpcrt) show a small horizontal white line when converting one resolution to another. try setting xbmc to your default tv resolution.
yes, having proper post processing in xbmc would be a blessing.

maybe we could all bribe elupus :bowdown: :bowdown:

pp does make the video quality worse.
(caldor @ aug. 28 2005,01:53 Wrote:yes, having proper post processing in xbmc would be a blessing.

maybe we could all bribe elupus  :bowdown:  :bowdown:

pp does make the video quality worse.
mplayer might be recoded in december and that will probably fix pp but i'm not sure.
any more details will ofcourse be welcome :d
ok, i could take screenshots and highlight sections that are making the image quality bad with pp on.

i could expand on the problems with different deblocking settings in low bitrate media playback.
  • 26(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMP has better video quality than XBMC?0