Solved Kodi v18.4 keeps freezing up
I've been using v16.1 since it came out.  I decided to give v18 a try so that I can do a shared database with my son's Xbox One.  Here's a rundown of my setup:

Windows 10 Pro x64 running MySql v5.7.25 for the shared database

Fire TV 2nd Gen

Fire TV 3rd Gen

Xbox One (I haven't started messing with this yet so ignore it from here on out)

All devices were working fine last night when I did fresh installations of Kodi v18.4.  I scanned a few hundred movies into the library and everything was going smoothly.  I decided to let it scan the rest of my library overnight.

When I woke up, I went to my PC to check on things and as soon as I clicked "Movies" to see how many were scanned in, the program froze up.

I rebooted the computer and Kodi loaded fine but when I clicked on Movies again, it froze up again.

I rebooted again and launched Kodi only to find that it is now freezing up on the Leia splash screen.

I checked one of my Fire TVs and it seemed like it was working fine until I clicked on the Movies link.  Then it froze up just like the PC did.

Here is my log file:

https://paste.kodi.tv/ozojomonac.kodi

I'm wondering if the problem has something to do with the version of MySql i'm running?

EDIT: MySql had crashed or something so I restarted it and made a new log.  This time it logged everything up until I clicked on "Movies" where Kodi crashed again.  I checked and the MySql server is still running even though the log would indicate otherwise.

https://paste.kodi.tv/wuwumegoja.kodi

EDIT2: I have an idea what might have caused the problem. With Kodi v16.1 I found that it wouldn’t scan My TV shows correctly because my directory tree was weird. I had a folder called BTU1 inside my TVDB1 folder. The BTU folder contained shows that I haven’t yet backed up anywhere. This confused the scraper and it would skip the BTU1 folder. So I had to add the BTU1 folder as its own source in Kodi. Everything worked fine in Kodi v16.1 with this setup. But I have a feeling that v18.4 doesn’t know what to do with the BTU1 folder and glitches up the database somehow.

I have separated the BTU1 folder from the TVDB1 folder. I’ve done a clean install of MySQL and I’m rebuilding my libraries now. I’ll update this list with the results once it’s done scanning.

EDIT3: Okay so once so many movies get scanned into the database it seems to have the same problem.  I'm leaning toward some kind of MySQL problem.  Never had any trouble with Jarvis at all.  Maybe I'll just give up and go back to Jarvis.  I would really love to stay on Leia though.
(2019-10-17, 16:20)spiderborg Wrote: has something to do with the version of MySql
Perhaps with this error "MYSQL server has gone. Will try 4 more attempt(s) to reconnect.". I suggest if files were local, you wouldn't have this issue. There may be some issue with your library. Clear your sources and re-scrape a local source (a few files), if this proves a fully functioning Kodi, then that action would seem to point at networking File sharing (wiki) or MySQL (wiki) FTW: NOTICE: Every Kodi "client" must run the same version of Kodi.
[Deleted]
(2019-10-17, 18:27)PatK Wrote:
(2019-10-17, 16:20)spiderborg Wrote: has something to do with the version of MySql
Perhaps with this error "MYSQL server has gone. Will try 4 more attempt(s) to reconnect.". I suggest if files were local, you wouldn't have this issue. There may be some issue with your library. Clear your sources and re-scrape a local source (a few files), if this proves a fully functioning Kodi, then that action would seem to point at networking File sharing (wiki) or MySQL (wiki) FTW: NOTICE: Every Kodi "client" must run the same version of Kodi.

Thanks for your reply! I actually reinstalled MySQL twice now. The second time I looked up how to do a clean install because the first time I didn’t realize that the old MySQL service was still running and I think it caused a problem with the first reinstallation. This time I made sure that I only have one MySQL service running. I’ve rescraped a small portion of my library and everything is working fine. But it was working fine last night until I scraped my whole library.

If I run into more problems I’ll update with a new log file.
(2019-10-17, 18:27)PatK Wrote:
So I think i narrowed it down to an MySQL problem.  Should I make a new thread that has a more pointed question or just keep this one open?
(2019-10-17, 19:39)spiderborg Wrote: Should I make a new thread
I'll keep this open should others offer their experience. I've seen a few messages in the forum, a search might help.

https://www.mysql.com/support/
Okay so it turns out that the version of MySQL I was using wasn’t playing well with Kodi v18.4. I did a clean install of MySQL v8 and everything seems to be working *knock on wood*
Thread marked solved.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi v18.4 keeps freezing up0