Android NVIDIA Shield TV Pro (2019 new model)
(2020-07-23, 18:47)box4m Wrote: I never saw if this was answered?
Would a UHD player who is new enough, like the Sony x700 combine the baselayer and enhancement layer and then send it to the TV?
Thanks

All DV players will need to combine base layers and enhancement layers from the disc during replay surely?

It's important not to confuse carriage of dynamic metadata (tunnelled 'hidden' within video or carried via now-standard HDMI paths) and the route to merging HDR10 base layers with additional DV enhancement layers. In SOME cases the enhancement layer may actually contain very little other than metadata it's true - but in some cases it can have quite a lot of additional content I believe - though that's a disc mastering decision.  

The original first gen DV standard that used tunnelling was a kind of hack/kludge to allow DV dynamic metadata to be carried when there was no standard way to do so.  It therefore embedded this data content within the actual video signal, and required early DV TVs to be able to recognise this and remove it from the actual video signal (which will have had a bit of a processing overhead I think - and required some significant processing within the actual active video path to capture the metadata).  

The more recent players and TVs have been able to do this using standardised HDMI signalling (now there is a standard), and some more recent TVs and players can only output or display DV that uses this.  (This is the so-called LLDV stuff - though I'm not sure what the Low Latency refers to - unless it's because it avoids having to process the video in both the player and the display to add and remove the dynamic metadata in the non-LLDV flavour of DV?)

I don't think any consumer DV UHD BD players - whether outputting metadata tunnelled or via standard HDMI routes - ignore the enhancement layer, I don't think they'd be licensed if they did that.

Messages In This Thread
RE: NVIDIA Shield TV Pro (2019 new model) - by noggin - 2020-07-23, 21:28
Dolby Digital AC3 vs PCM Quality - by RKCRLR - 2021-02-25, 22:25
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
NVIDIA Shield TV Pro (2019 new model)1