• 35(current)
Android NVIDIA Shield TV Pro (2019 new model)
(2020-08-28, 08:55)noggin Wrote:
(2020-08-27, 20:54)shrugg1e Wrote:
(2020-08-26, 21:20)hdmkv Wrote: - Match frame rate (beta); useful for Netflix, Amazon Prime, etc.

Do you have more details at this feature?

Did the Shield now REAL AUTOMATIC frame rate matching like the Apple TV 4K?

No - this seems to be the same mechanism that nVidia have been trialling for a while.  You set a shortcut to 'Match Frame Rate' so that when you start playing a video you can go to the Match Frame Rate option quickly by pressing the hamburger key and it will check the frame rate of the video playing and adjust the output refresh rate accordingly.
In kodi leia 18.8, everything plays at 60 fps. I did not use this feature in kodi, used instead the kodi own autoframerate and it worked in the previous software release. After updating to the latest release, everything plays at 60fps in kodi, whilst continue to work ok in plex.
Finally got bored/fed up with my firestick 4k, and have just purchased the shield tube version. The main reason being is I want to be able to play truehd atmos content via my q80r soundbar, and also other issues I have with the firestick

The main use of it will be to play 1080p and 4k content via kodi. I can use the TV builtin apps for Netflix and prime app.

I know how to install kodi, and I'm guessing the same audio settings within kodi apply e.g 2 channel audio, and then enable all the pass through options. I'm also guessing I have to connect the shield directly to the soundbar rather than to my LG b7 and have it go via arc (not fully sure on this bit) to be able to play truehd atmos content.

The bit I'm really unsure about is if I need to do any specific config within shield settings itself for anything. On the firestick for example I had to choose the audio options and hdr options etc. Just read through this whole thread and I believe I need to enable 4k resolution whitelist and all the refresh rates. I've also seen some posts about colour matching and colour space settings, but not sure if I'll need to do that?

Lastly, there's some reports that the tube struggles with some 4k content. Surely that can't be. The firestick 4k plays all 50-60gb remuxes fine.

Apologies if I've posted this in the wrong section or if this has been answered multiple times!

Thanks in advance.
(2020-10-13, 11:16)chuci24 Wrote: Finally got bored/fed up with my firestick 4k, and have just purchased the shield tube version. The main reason being is I want to be able to play truehd atmos content via my q80r soundbar, and also other issues I have with the firestick

The main use of it will be to play 1080p and 4k content via kodi. I can use the TV builtin apps for Netflix and prime app.

I know how to install kodi, and I'm guessing the same audio settings within kodi apply e.g 2 channel audio, and then enable all the pass through options. I'm also guessing I have to connect the shield directly to the soundbar rather than to my LG b7 and have it go via arc (not fully sure on this bit) to be able to play truehd atmos content.

The bit I'm really unsure about is if I need to do any specific config within shield settings itself for anything. On the firestick for example I had to choose the audio options and hdr options etc. Just read through this whole thread and I believe I need to enable 4k resolution whitelist and all the refresh rates. I've also seen some posts about colour matching and colour space settings, but not sure if I'll need to do that?

Lastly, there's some reports that the tube struggles with some 4k content. Surely that can't be. The firestick 4k plays all 50-60gb remuxes fine.

Apologies if I've posted this in the wrong section or if this has been answered multiple times!

Thanks in advance.

Out of interest - why 2 channel audio ?  If you have any PCM, FLAC or AAC 5.1/7.1 (or other formats that have to be output in PCM not bitstreamed) wouldn't you want those sent to your sound bar in 5.1/7.1 PCM rather than stereo 2.0 PCM?
(2020-10-13, 11:50)noggin Wrote: Out of interest - why 2 channel audio ?  If you have any PCM, FLAC or AAC 5.1/7.1 (or other formats that have to be output in PCM not bitstreamed) wouldn't you want those sent to your sound bar in 5.1/7.1 PCM rather than stereo 2.0 PCM?

Honestly, I have no idea. I once saw a tip to say set kodi to 2 channel and enable all the pass through options and let the soundbar do all the work. The 2 channel seemed to be a bit of a misnomer. I'm not very well versed in all this stuff, so trying to learn.
I think you set it to 2 channels if you're not using passthrough.
(2020-10-13, 12:26)Hitcher Wrote: I think you set it to 2 channels if you're not using passthrough.

That's strange. What should it be set to if I'm using pass through then? My soundbar is a q80r so 5.1.2.

Strangely enough I've always had it set to 2 channel and all passthrough options checked, and it's always sent the audio over correctly with more than 2 channel stereo.
I said 'not using passthrough'.
Duh. Apparently I can't read.
(2020-10-13, 12:26)Hitcher Wrote: I think you set it to 2 channels if you're not using passthrough.

The other reason to use 2 channels is that it exposes the 'Transcode to AC3' option for SPDIF/Toslink or first-generation ARC solutions which will take 5.1 content as AC3 but not PCM. (If you have 5.1 or 7.1 speakers selected you will get this content output in 5.1/7.1 PCM rather than transcoded to lossy Dolby)
Any other settings I need to be aware of setting in kodi or shield?

Also some experience regarding the tube would be great. I know this is the thread for the pro, but I can't find one for the regular shield. If as reported it struggles with 4k remuxes, I'll give it back and get the pro. I just chose the smaller one as i take it with me when I travel or stay in hotels (which isn't an issue in the current climate I admit!)
Custom button labels for the NEW Shield remote, thought it be useful in this thread.

this on a local forum and don't regard it as spamming.
Can the Netflix button be remapped to open Kodi?
(2020-10-20, 00:00)hdmkv Wrote: Can the Netflix button be remapped to open Kodi?

Not that I am aware of natively, but there are 3rd party apps like button mapper. I never got it working though.

I wish I could have the confidence to break open the remote and disconnect the netflix button, my kid likes to open netflix 10 times a day randomly!! Smile
+1
I start to hate remotes with Netflix buttons.
Me too 
+2
  • 35(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
NVIDIA Shield TV Pro (2019 new model)1