• 37(current)
Android NVIDIA Shield TV Pro (2019 new model)
(2020-10-29, 02:53)KrispyKreme Wrote: Don’t know if this is an old issue but I’m having issues playing back 480p 29.97fps content. I have my resolutions whitelisted but it still up scales it to 4K and playback is extremely slow when starting then speeds up and stops. Do I have a setting wrong in Kodi or is this just an issue with the Nvidia Shield?

What are you Kodi Video Settings ? If it's ok with all others resolutions, it should be ok.
(2020-10-29, 09:35)Messatsu Wrote:
(2020-10-29, 02:53)KrispyKreme Wrote: Don’t know if this is an old issue but I’m having issues playing back 480p 29.97fps content. I have my resolutions whitelisted but it still up scales it to 4K and playback is extremely slow when starting then speeds up and stops. Do I have a setting wrong in Kodi or is this just an issue with the Nvidia Shield?

What are you Kodi Video Settings ? If it's ok with all others resolutions, it should be ok.

It actually doesn’t go to 480p 29.97fps when playing the file it stays at 2160p 24fps. It may have something to do with my projector because the highest it can go is 2160p at 29.97fps. I have my adjust display refresh rate to on start/stop. I would think that when I play the video it goes to 480p like my 1080p files but it doesn’t. I have 720x480p on my whitelist.
On the nvidia page it says the shield can read NTFS formatted microSD cards.
So can it read NTFS formatted ssds via USB C adapter as well? 

Thank you!
(2020-11-03, 16:16)lama0900 Wrote: On the nvidia page it says the shield can read NTFS formatted microSD cards.
So can it read NTFS formatted ssds via USB C adapter as well? 

Thank you!

Yes.
How do you access Kodi's advancedsettings.xml on these devices, preferably via network?
(2020-11-03, 22:20)Knocks Wrote: How do you access Kodi's advancedsettings.xml on these devices, preferably via network?

I do it directly with The Shield with X-plore File Manager (don't forget to check "Hide invisible files/directory" option).
(2020-11-04, 10:27)Messatsu Wrote: I do it directly with The Shield with X-plore File Manager (don't forget to check "Hide invisible files/directory" option).

I need to access the xml on a computer so I can edit it properly, copy/paste etc. Can't do these things with a remote.
(2020-11-04, 14:16)Knocks Wrote:
(2020-11-04, 10:27)Messatsu Wrote: I do it directly with The Shield with X-plore File Manager (don't forget to check "Hide invisible files/directory" option).

I need to access the xml on a computer so I can edit it properly, copy/paste etc. Can't do these things with a remote.

Setup a network file share (SMB/NFS) on the computer which the Shield can then access so you can use the Kodi file manager to copy files to and from the share. For example I have a SMB share created on my desktop pc in the home office so I can copy files to the desktop from Kodi on the Android devices, do any edits on the desktop, and then copy back to the Android device.
hello....i am looking to replace an aged HTPC (AMD APU based unit) with a Shield Pro. I mainly use Kodi, Netflix, Amazon Prime, YouTube, Twitch and various web-based (Chrome browser) streaming sites. My HTPC is HDMI'd to receiver and 1080p TV is connected via ARC (using Kodi passthru)
all my media is on my NAS. I am upgrading to a 4K TV down the road so will a Shield Pro be good for me?
Shield TV is on the whole a pretty good platform.  You get automatic resolution and refresh rate switching with Kodi - though Netflix and Prime require a manual intervention to get the right frame rates.  There isn't an in-built browser, though I believe you can side load one, though you'll need to use an external keyboard+trackpad to really use it effectively (not the supplied remote).

Personally I prefer the Apple TV 4K for Netflix and Prime video as both of their apps on tvOS (the Apple TV OS) implement proper frame rate switching - so 24fps, 25fps and 30fps content is output at 24, 50 and 60Hz properly with no manual intervention required.  For Kodi duties you can use a fork of Kodi called MrMC, though this doesn't support Python plugins (but does have PVR support).  The Apple TV 4K CPU+GPU also appears to be more powerful than the Tegra X1+ in the Shield TV.  Not sure what the state of browser support is in tvOS (it isn't a standard function) but you do have YouTube apps (now with 4K support) and most streaming platforms have tvOS apps available.  The ATV 4K touch remote is a bit 'meh' - but you can use the older Apple remote with a D-pad or teach your ATV to use any spare IR remote you have knocking around.  You can also use your iPhone as a remote for text entry (which is very well integrated).

The frame rate issues I mention are more of an issue if you are outside North America - as many TVs sold in the North American market don't support the 50Hz required for optimum display of 25fps content (e.g. The Crown on Netflix, S2 and later of The Grand Tour on Prime Video etc.) - however if you're in Europe/Aus/NZ or the larger parts of Asia that are 50Hz territories (the regions that were formerly PAL and SECAM mainly) then frame rate switching is vital.  (In 60Hz 'NTSC' territories 24fps content is output at 60fps with 3:2 - but many TVs will unpick this and present it as 24fps)
(2020-11-11, 10:21)noggin Wrote: Shield TV is on the whole a pretty good platform.  You get automatic resolution and refresh rate switching with Kodi - though Netflix and Prime require a manual intervention to get the right frame rates.  There isn't an in-built browser, though I believe you can side load one, though you'll need to use an external keyboard+trackpad to really use it effectively (not the supplied remote).

Personally I prefer the Apple TV 4K for Netflix and Prime video as both of their apps on tvOS (the Apple TV OS) implement proper frame rate switching - so 24fps, 25fps and 30fps content is output at 24, 50 and 60Hz properly with no manual intervention required.  For Kodi duties you can use a fork of Kodi called MrMC, though this doesn't support Python plugins (but does have PVR support).  The Apple TV 4K CPU+GPU also appears to be more powerful than the Tegra X1+ in the Shield TV.  Not sure what the state of browser support is in tvOS (it isn't a standard function) but you do have YouTube apps (now with 4K support) and most streaming platforms have tvOS apps available.  The ATV 4K touch remote is a bit 'meh' - but you can use the older Apple remote with a D-pad or teach your ATV to use any spare IR remote you have knocking around.  You can also use your iPhone as a remote for text entry (which is very well integrated).

The frame rate issues I mention are more of an issue if you are outside North America - as many TVs sold in the North American market don't support the 50Hz required for optimum display of 25fps content (e.g. The Crown on Netflix, S2 and later of The Grand Tour on Prime Video etc.) - however if you're in Europe/Aus/NZ or the larger parts of Asia that are 50Hz territories (the regions that were formerly PAL and SECAM mainly) then frame rate switching is vital.  (In 60Hz 'NTSC' territories 24fps content is output at 60fps with 3:2 - but many TVs will unpick this and present it as 24fps)

thanks for your reply.
I am in NA so fps issues I have read about I do not worry about. 
I have an ATV upstairs in the living room and I hate it. No browser and the remote is ebola to my brain. (Especially being an HTPC user for almost 20 years). My wife likes it bc it is simple enough to use. 
I did some reading and found I can sideload chrome, and that it should play all the formats I have. If it doesnt, I can always recode since videography is my side hobby Wink

Again thanks for taking the time to reply Smile
(2020-11-11, 10:21)noggin Wrote: Personally I prefer the Apple TV 4K for Netflix and Prime video as both of their apps on tvOS (the Apple TV OS) implement proper frame rate switching - so 24fps, 25fps and 30fps content is output at 24, 50 and 60Hz properly with no manual intervention required. 

One exception.  Apple TV does not support integer 24.000fps.    A lot of Netflix's original content is 24.000.
(2020-11-11, 16:59)dwalme Wrote:
(2020-11-11, 10:21)noggin Wrote: Personally I prefer the Apple TV 4K for Netflix and Prime video as both of their apps on tvOS (the Apple TV OS) implement proper frame rate switching - so 24fps, 25fps and 30fps content is output at 24, 50 and 60Hz properly with no manual intervention required. 

One exception.  Apple TV does not support integer 24.000fps.    A lot of Netflix's original content is 24.000.
Yep - it's the one remaining flaw, and I put up with it (though I do notice it).
(2020-11-12, 01:19)noggin Wrote:
(2020-11-11, 16:59)dwalme Wrote:

Yep - it's the one remaining flaw, and I put up with it (though I do notice it).
What about TrueHD Atmos?
(2020-11-12, 09:46)DaMacFunkin Wrote:
(2020-11-12, 01:19)noggin Wrote:
(2020-11-11, 16:59)dwalme Wrote: One exception.  Apple TV does not support integer 24.000fps.    A lot of Netflix's original content is 24.000.
What about TrueHD Atmos?

That's not an issue for Netflix and Prime Video - they only do DD+ with Atmos - which the ATV 4K handles fine.  

I wasn't recommending the ATV 4K for Kodi duties - purely for streaming (where Dolby True HD and DTS HD MA/HRA are not used - just a mix of AAC, DD and DD+ - the latter sometimes with Atmos extensions)
  • 37(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
NVIDIA Shield TV Pro (2019 new model)1