Android NVIDIA Shield TV Pro (2019 new model)
Shield TV is on the whole a pretty good platform.  You get automatic resolution and refresh rate switching with Kodi - though Netflix and Prime require a manual intervention to get the right frame rates.  There isn't an in-built browser, though I believe you can side load one, though you'll need to use an external keyboard+trackpad to really use it effectively (not the supplied remote).

Personally I prefer the Apple TV 4K for Netflix and Prime video as both of their apps on tvOS (the Apple TV OS) implement proper frame rate switching - so 24fps, 25fps and 30fps content is output at 24, 50 and 60Hz properly with no manual intervention required.  For Kodi duties you can use a fork of Kodi called MrMC, though this doesn't support Python plugins (but does have PVR support).  The Apple TV 4K CPU+GPU also appears to be more powerful than the Tegra X1+ in the Shield TV.  Not sure what the state of browser support is in tvOS (it isn't a standard function) but you do have YouTube apps (now with 4K support) and most streaming platforms have tvOS apps available.  The ATV 4K touch remote is a bit 'meh' - but you can use the older Apple remote with a D-pad or teach your ATV to use any spare IR remote you have knocking around.  You can also use your iPhone as a remote for text entry (which is very well integrated).

The frame rate issues I mention are more of an issue if you are outside North America - as many TVs sold in the North American market don't support the 50Hz required for optimum display of 25fps content (e.g. The Crown on Netflix, S2 and later of The Grand Tour on Prime Video etc.) - however if you're in Europe/Aus/NZ or the larger parts of Asia that are 50Hz territories (the regions that were formerly PAL and SECAM mainly) then frame rate switching is vital.  (In 60Hz 'NTSC' territories 24fps content is output at 60fps with 3:2 - but many TVs will unpick this and present it as 24fps)

Messages In This Thread
RE: NVIDIA Shield TV Pro (2019 new model) - by noggin - 2020-11-11, 10:21
Dolby Digital AC3 vs PCM Quality - by RKCRLR - 2021-02-25, 22:25
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
NVIDIA Shield TV Pro (2019 new model)1