Android NVIDIA Shield TV Pro (2019 new model)
(2021-01-20, 20:20)DavionB473 Wrote: Hello, guys, I'm new in the forum and I'm not exactly sure where this goes, but I hope I'm wrong.

I took on the v19 RC1 of Kodi because it supposedly plays DV, but I gave it a try, played my DV MKV's, m2ts.. nothing.. did I perhaps pick the wrong version of Matrix?

I'd think perhaps it only applies to .mp4 DV, but Kodi explicitly says dynamic DV, so it must mean the MKV's..?

What flavour of DV are the files?  The nVidia Shield TV will only play single-layer DV stuff - not dual layer UHD DV rips left in dual-layer mode (i.e. with two streams - an HDR10 base layer and a DV enhancement layer).  It may also need to be single-layer in an mp4 wrapper still too - I don't know if mkv support is there yet.

AIUI there are solutions to create 'almost single layer' DV from dual-layer DV UHD BDs - which adds the DV RPUs (i.e. the dynamic metadata) to the HDR10 UHD base layer, but if there is significant data in the enhancement layer this is lost in the conversion (as the enhancement layer is ignored in the conversion).

So with these 'almost single layer' DV files you get the benefits of the dynamic metadata, but not the benefit of the added 10->12 bit expansion that the optional, and often unused, enhancement layers provide (on a large number of discs these contain very little).  

There are also issues around the colour space used in the resulting single-layer file - as it is still YCbCr HDR10 based, rather than using the single-layer ICtCp (or IPTPQc2) colour-space that I think Dolby might mandate for single-layer DV files (that are not needing backwards compatibility with YCbCr HDR10 displays) - however the non-standard files seem to play. (I may be misunderstanding elements of this)

Messages In This Thread
RE: NVIDIA Shield TV Pro (2019 new model) - by noggin - 2021-01-23, 10:27
Dolby Digital AC3 vs PCM Quality - by RKCRLR - 2021-02-25, 22:25
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
NVIDIA Shield TV Pro (2019 new model)1