Android NVIDIA Shield TV Pro (2019 new model)
(2021-02-23, 10:02)movie78 Wrote: My Shield just updated to Kodi 19 in the release note it stated that Kodi 19 support Dolby vision, has any tried it yet on their compatible system as I am debating on pulling the trigger on lg oled TV

DV support is complicated - it depends what your sources are.

There are lots of different varieties of DV - and the format used on DV UHD BDs (known as dual layer - which has an HDR10 Base Layer, an Enhancement Layer - which expands the 10-bit HDR10 to 12-bit - and Dolby RPU metadata which provides far more data to your display about the content for optimal rendering than static HDR10 metadata) isn't the format that the nVidia Shield TV plays back (which is single layer DV).  

It's possible to create a sort-of single-layer DV file with some UHD BD backup software - but that only appears to mix the UHD BD HDR10 base layer with the RPU metadata, and doesn't do anything with the Enhancement Layer (though many discs don't use this much AIUI?) and this format is non-standard though most players do support it. (You should get the benefit of DV metadata). Single layer DV is used by Netflix, Prime, Disney etc. where backwards compatibility with HDR10 and SDR doesn't have to be implemented in every stream (the OTT provider just sends a different stream to do that instead) - which is why most boxes designed for DV streaming, rather than DV disc, support don't support dual-layer DV playback natively.

Also - worth knowing that latest iPhones shoot in yet another flavour of DV (they use HLG HDR rather than HDR10 as their base layer, along with Dolby Vision RPU metadata I think) and I don't know what the Shield TV does with those (I don't think the Shield TV is HLG compatible)

Messages In This Thread
RE: NVIDIA Shield TV Pro (2019 new model) - by noggin - 2021-02-23, 10:26
Dolby Digital AC3 vs PCM Quality - by RKCRLR - 2021-02-25, 22:25
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
NVIDIA Shield TV Pro (2019 new model)1