Android NVIDIA Shield TV Pro (2019 new model)
I asked this question in another section but didn't get any responses so I thought I'd try here.  

When I'm watching US ATSC TV programs transmitted in Dolby Digital, Kodi transcodes (if that is the right term) the audio and my receiver (Onkyo TX-NR646) shows the input as 5.1 PCM and shows the output as 5.1.2 Dolby Surround.  I have passthrough enabled but I've been told this is normal.  

If I record the same show my receiver shows both the input and output as 5.1 Dolby Digital when I'm watching the recording.  However, there is a slight delay before the audio starts again when I skip forward or back.  

If I tell Kodi in the system audio settings that I do not have a Dolby Digital (AC3) capable receiver then my receiver shows the input as 5.1 PCM when playing a recording and shows the output as 5.1.2 Dolby Surround.  However, the audio delay is eliminated during skipping.  

From a practical standpoint am I losing any audio quality by having Kodi transcode the Dolby Digital to 5.1 PCM?
2019 Shield TV Pro with Tvheadend Client (Kodi) | Ugoos X3 Cube with CoreELEC as a Tvheadend server
Samsung UN65JS8500 TV | Onkyo TX-NR646 Receiver | HD Homerun Quatro Tuner

Messages In This Thread
Dolby Digital AC3 vs PCM Quality - by RKCRLR - 2021-02-25, 22:25
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
NVIDIA Shield TV Pro (2019 new model)1