• 45(current)
Android NVIDIA Shield TV Pro (2019 new model)
(2021-08-07, 11:31)Dom61 Wrote: Good morning.
I bought the Nvidia Shield and today they deliver it.
I ask how to set up Kodi as the main app, which starts automatically, when I turn on Shield.
Thank you

Nvidia Shield Pro 2019: Kodi auto boot
(2021-08-07, 11:35)Hitcher Wrote:
(2021-08-07, 11:31)Dom61 Wrote: Good morning.
I bought the Nvidia Shield and today they deliver it.
I ask how to set up Kodi as the main app, which starts automatically, when I turn on Shield.
Thank you

Nvidia Shield Pro 2019: Kodi auto boot
Thank you very much.
Good evening.
It's trudge the day I try to do the audio setting in the best way, but I can't get the pass-through Audi Dolby Truehd and DTS-HD Audio master, despite having enabled pass-through in Kodi.
In Shield in the "Advanced Audio Settings" section there is no to select the pass-through.
The HDMI cable enters HDFURY AVR-KEY that extracts lossless audio for amplifier-decoder, has always worked with another Android box.
Some idea?
Thank you
To receive meaningful assistance you will need to provide a full debug log.

The instructions are here... debug log (wiki)

If you are using the Basic Method, then ensure the following is applied...
1.Enable debugging in Settings>System Settings>Logging,
2.Restart Kodi
3.Replicate the problem.
4.Upload the log to Kodi Paste Site manually or use the Kodi Logfile Uploader. (wiki) With either method post the link to the log back here.

If you are using the Advanced Method ensure you have correctly created and applied the advancedsettings.xml file (wiki)

In both instances, you should see the word DEBUG throughout the log.

Note: Full logs only. No partial or redacted logs
Do NOT post your logs directly into the forum. Use the Kodi Paste Site. Post the link to your pasted log in the forum
(2021-08-09, 10:27)Hitcher Wrote: To receive meaningful assistance you will need to provide a full debug log.

The instructions are here... debug log (wiki)

If you are using the Basic Method, then ensure the following is applied...
1.Enable debugging in Settings>System Settings>Logging,
2.Restart Kodi
3.Replicate the problem.
4.Upload the log to Kodi Paste Site manually or use the Kodi Logfile Uploader. (wiki) With either method post the link to the log back here.

If you are using the Advanced Method ensure you have correctly created and applied the advancedsettings.xml file (wiki)

In both instances, you should see the word DEBUG throughout the log.

Note: Full logs only. No partial or redacted logs
Do NOT post your logs directly into the forum. Use the Kodi Paste Site. Post the link to your pasted log in the forum
I go to the route:
"\\Android\internal\Android\data\org.xbmc.kodi\files\.kodi"
I should find the "kodi.log" file, as happens in Windows.
Instead the file is not generated.
In settings> System> Enable Event Log is enabled.
I do not understand.
I hope to solve this problem of audio, I'm sorry to make the product return.

update...
The "kodi.log" file is located in the route:
"\\Android\internal\Android\data\org.xbmc.kodi\files\.kodi\temp"

This is the log:
https://paste.kodi.tv/ipobifaquh.kodi

This is the setting:

@Dom61 You might get more help if you switch your Shield TV into English language settings before you take screen grabs - as more people will be familiar with the UI in English.

Also - what happens if you take the HD Fury AV Linker out of circuit (i.e. assume this is to allow an HD-only AVR to work with a 4K Shield TV and 4K TV?) and temporarily run HD.  Might be worth getting one thing working at a time.
@Hitcher 
@noggin 

After varying tests and a dedicated day,
Finally I succeeded !!!!
Finally the Lossless audio formats that my amply-decoder can process Dolby Truehd, DTS-HD Audio Master Dolby Digital Plus

These are settings, in English Smile

Shield:

Kodi:

THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT Otherwise it does not allow the pass-through
This command is a bit misleading, it should be in the audio section, since it affects the pass-through.

ATSC 3.0 is starting to roll out in my area which transmits audio in Dolby AC-4 format.  
The 2019 Shield TV Pro is capable of decoding AC-4 audio.  My receiver is not AC-4 compatible but is Atmos capable.  
Kodi uses FFmpeg for audio decoding which isn't currently capable of decoding AC-4 audio.  
How do I tell Kodi to use the Shield TV Pro AC-4 audio decoder for AC-4 audio streams?
2019 Shield TV Pro with Tvheadend Client (Kodi) | Ugoos X3 Cube with CoreELEC as a Tvheadend server
Samsung UN65JS8500 TV | Onkyo TX-NR646 Receiver | HD Homerun Quatro Tuner
(2021-08-09, 18:20)Dom61 Wrote: @Hitcher 
@noggin 

After varying tests and a dedicated day,
Finally I succeeded !!!!
Finally the Lossless audio formats that my amply-decoder can process Dolby Truehd, DTS-HD Audio Master Dolby Digital Plus

These are settings, in English Smile

Shield:

Kodi:

THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT Otherwise it does not allow the pass-through
This command is a bit misleading, it should be in the audio section, since it affects the pass-through.

don't you use dolby atmos?
@Lobofer85
My old decoder amplifier does not support this encoding, so you don't select it.
(2021-08-09, 18:20)Dom61 Wrote: THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT Otherwise it does not allow the pass-through

The reason it's not in audio settings is that the audio aspect of it - which is clearly explained will disable pass-through - is a side-effect.

The real purpose for that playbacl option is to allow 23.976/24 fps content to be sped up to 25fps for replay on displays that only support 50/59.94/60Hz content and where people don't like 3:2 pull-down (so it simulates PAL speed-up, avoiding 3:2 judder), or to allow displays or playback solutions that don't support 1000/1001 modes to display 1000/1001 content without frame repeats (so it speeds up 23.976fps content to 24fps for playback solutions that can't handle 23.976 natively). It's very much a video-related playback option - as it's there to optimise video quality on playback / display solutions that would otherwise be heavily compromised.  These days it's far less likely to be required - as most displays and playback hardware now support 23.976/24/50/59.94/60Hz replay and refresh (some also support 25 - though with 50 support it's largely irrelevant)

Because of the speed change it can't implement pass-through - as Kodi has to process the audio to change its replay speed to match the video, whilst keeping a standard audio sample rate. The audio issue a side-effect, that's all.

(This setting causes a lot of confusion because people confuse it with 'Adjust Refresh rate' - where the output refresh rate is changed to match the source's refresh rate)
@noggin
Thank you for the explanation.
But I noticed another very annoying problem and I wouldn't know how to solve.

When I allow pass-through audio, (disabling synchronizes the sound to the image) and turn off the audio playback system (decoder amplifier) at night to listen to audio on TV, TV audio remains mute and l Image crashes.
To reactivate the feature with the TV I have to disable the pass-through, this is a very annoying thing when I have to switch from TV> HT system and vice versa.
In the old Box Andorid (HiMedia) this was automatic, i would be very happy if there is a way to solve this problem.
Since this problem concerns Kodi perhaps I don't know if it is the case to ask other section of the forum.
Thank you very much
(2021-08-10, 10:05)Dom61 Wrote: @noggin

When I allow pass-through audio, (disabling synchronizes the sound to the image) and turn off the audio playback system (decoder amplifier) at night to listen to audio on TV, TV audio remains mute and l Image crashes.
To reactivate the feature with the TV I have to disable the pass-through, this is a very annoying thing when I have to switch from TV> HT system and vice versa.
In the old Box Andorid (HiMedia) this was automatic, i would be very happy if there is a way to solve this problem.
Since this problem concerns Kodi perhaps I don't know if it is the case to ask other section of the forum.
Thank you very much

I suspect this is down to Kodi + nVidia Shield TV not fully supporting EDID in terms of controlling audio output.  I think that enabling HD Audio passthrough in Kodi on the Sheild TV means it effectively ignores EDID from the display+AVR, or just the display, and forces HD Audio output over HDMI, whether the display or display+AVR combo supports it or not.

EDID is how the TV and TV+AVR can tell what is connected to them what audio formats they support (when you connect a source to a display, it communicates via data so the source knows what video and audio formats it should be able to send).  If this is ignored, and Kodi sends True HD / DTS HD MA etc. to the TV, but it can't accept it, then you get no sound and all sorts of issues.  I think this is partially because HD Audio isn't officially supported within Android TV and on the Shield TV - though it's possible to send it still via unsupported routes.  I don't know whether EDID support is possible on the Shield TV + Android TV + Kodi combo.    Very few other Android TV platforms support HD Audio at all. 

I just switch passthrough on and off if I need to switch my AVR off.  It's only a couple of button presses after all...

Nothing in life is perfect - though feel free to join in and help develop by contributing code if you think you can improve things.
(2021-08-10, 14:54)noggin Wrote:
(2021-08-10, 10:05)Dom61 Wrote: @noggin

Thank you very much

I suspect this is down to Kodi + nVidia Shield TV not fully supporting EDID in terms of controlling audio output.  I think that enabling HD Audio passthrough in Kodi on the Sheild TV means it effectively ignores EDID from the display+AVR, or just the display, and forces HD Audio output over HDMI, whether the display or display+AVR combo supports it or not.

EDID is how the TV and TV+AVR can tell what is connected to them what audio formats they support (when you connect a source to a display, it communicates via data so the source knows what video and audio formats it should be able to send).  If this is ignored, and Kodi sends True HD / DTS HD MA etc. to the TV, but it can't accept it, then you get no sound and all sorts of issues.  I think this is partially because HD Audio isn't officially supported within Android TV and on the Shield TV - though it's possible to send it still via unsupported routes.  I don't know whether EDID support is possible on the Shield TV + Android TV + Kodi combo.    Very few other Android TV platforms support HD Audio at all. 

I just switch passthrough on and off if I need to switch my AVR off.  It's only a couple of button presses after all...

Nothing in life is perfect - though feel free to join in and help develop by contributing code if you think you can improve things.
I would like to contribute to Kodi to solve this problem, but I don't know what to do.
I would be happy that you could solve this problem if you need donations to finance the research project I am happy to do so.
But I don't have technical knowledge to help in the programming of Kodi.
I hope we can solve it in the next editions.
Considering changing from PC to shield, but need to confirm if people actually have the unit working with IR remotes without too much fuss. I tried that with an earlier shield and didn't really get it working and ran out of patience. Been a few years now, so anyone have experience with that? I'm using harmony 650 remotes.
Thanks in advance.
  • 45(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
NVIDIA Shield TV Pro (2019 new model)1