Solved Can't stream over SMB after updating to macOS Catalina
(2019-12-27, 00:54)zemago Wrote:
(2019-12-23, 08:03)jensr Wrote: Hi guys,
I try to connect KODI 18.5 on FireTV with Mac (OS Catalina).
I can access the share, but it takes a long time to display the files and subfolders. However, I am not able to play the files. This all worked in the past with Mojave and before.
Any help is appreciated!
I find out a strange way to connect Kodi 18.5 to smb Catalina shares.
In Kodi client---Settings---Services---SMB Client---adjust Minimum protocol version to SMB1 and Maximum protocol version to SMB1, and reboot Kodi.
After this in Kodi you must enter manually the video source in first box after "Add Video sources". Example: smb://macx.lan. You can get this info in "Sharing tab" of System Preferences of MacOS Catalina.
Also on MacOS Catalina---enable Guest in Users & Groups preferences tab.
This is crazy because apparently Apple  dropped SMB1 support on MacOS 10.15 Catalina !!!
This explain why 17.6 works with Catalina because the default protocol used by this version of Kodi is SMB1.
SMB1 is outdated I know, but works in this situation.

Kodi 18,5 on Sony smart TV with Android 8.
MacOS Catalina 15.2: MacPro machine 
I have registered here just to thank you! I was almost losing my mind here trying to figure it out why it didnt work with my SMB share on MacOS. I was previously using a ASUS router as SMB server and I guess the router used SMB1.

The fact that Kodi 18+ does not work with SMB2/3 properly is ridiculous. I have also noticed that using SMB3, everything is very, veeeeeeery slow. Just to add the share it took me 5 minutes while using your method using legacy SMB1 it was almost instant.

Thanks again and hopefully the devs will fix this
I can access the share, but it takes a long time to display the files and subfolders. However, I am not able to play the files. This all worked in the past with Mojave and before.
Any help is appreciated!
In Kodi client---Settings---Services---SMB Client---adjust Minimum protocol version to SMB1 and Maximum protocol version to SMB1, and reboot Kodi.
After this in Kodi you must enter manually the video source in first box after "Add Video sources". Example: smb://macx.lan. You can get this info in "Sharing tab" of System Preferences of MacOS Catalina.
This is crazy because apparently Apple  dropped SMB1 support on MacOS 10.15 Catalina !!!
This explain why 17.6 works with Catalina because the default protocol used by this version of Kodi is SMB1.

Unfortunately, I still can't get this to work. I haven't been able to connect from Kodi (on a Shield TV) to any Mac running anything more recent than Snow Leopard (10.6). In fact, I have an old Mac running that system solely for this reason (but I'd rather not).

I updated the settings in Kodi as above with no problem. I've also given "Guest" the ability to log into the Mac on Catalina (not just ability to use shared files and folders, but login).

But when I go to File Manager to "Add source", I get any number of errors.

A source of "smb://ComputerName/" (no username or password) gives me "Operation not permitted" (no surprise there)

A source of "smb://ComputerName.local" (no username or password) gives me "Connection timed out"

Browsing into "WORKGROUP" OF "Windows network (SMB)" shows me the 10.6 Mac, but not the 10.15 Mac. 

I had a lot of hopes that this would finally work and I could put the source drive on the primary Mac, but no luck. Maybe I'm still doing something wrong?
(2019-12-13, 13:10)zemago Wrote:
(2019-10-27, 00:00)gilsonsjc Wrote: Hi,

Here is my environment:
  • Kodi 18.4 Git:20190831-3ade758ceb. Platform: Android ARM 64-bit
  • NVidia Shield TV with Android 9.0.0 API level 28, kernel: Linux ARM 64-bit version 4.9.140-tegra-g68283f0ff762.
  • Macbook air running macOs Catalina 10.15
  • Everything connected to the same network router
    • Shield and NAS with Gigabit cable
    • Macbook air connect with A/C wireless
    Problem description:
    I have always been able to stream videos from a MacBook Air connected to the same network. After updating the Mac to macOs Catalina I am not able to stream the videos anymore. I can navigate through the share from the Kodi/Videos interface but when I choose a video it stops before even opening the video. There is no error message on the screen.

Steps to reproduce:
  1. Create the share using File Sharing on macOs Catalina 10.15. Make sure the SMB and guess options are enabled.
  2. Add your movies to the smb share.
  3. Create a new video source in Kodi pointing to the SMB share you've created on step#1
  4. Try to play a movie from the new video source created on step#3
    Here is the log information:

https://paste.kodi.tv/otedufalok.kodi 

Please let me know what I should do in order to fix the problem

Thanks
Gilson 
Same question here.  Same behavior, same errors.
In three machines: 1-Smart TV Sony, android 8.  2-Mac OS 10.14 Mojave; 3- Win 10 19.03 release, all as Kodi Clients, and a Catalina MacPro as samba server.
In these machines Kodi 17.6 is ok with Catalina, Kodi 18.4 and 18.5 doesn't work. Kodi can browse but more slowly and cannot start the movie. No problems with Kodi 17.6  in this scenario. 
Package signingpacket signing off dont help.
In Services configurations on Kodi choose smb2 or 3 does not matter.
I guess is a new feature of Kodi 18 not accepted by security restrictions of Catalina.
Question is NOT SOLVED.
Any help please.

The samba configuration in Kodi's services menu is afaik only relevant if you want to enable samba sharing on the machine that runs Kodi, i.e. this machine is hosting the shares.
Kodi 18.7 can connect to 10.15/Catalina samba shares - the network traffic is there - but it is way too slow. In fact, listing folder contents is so slow that it's no wonder playback won't work.

The only way I could solve this is by delegating the handling of samba shares to the underlying OS. I understand this may not be possible for all Kodi installs.
LibreELEC in my case behaves like many other Linux based OS. You can mount Catalina samba shares with:

bash:
mount -t cifs //10.0.1.43/mydevicewithmovies /storage/yourmountpoint -o user=USERNAME,password=PASSWORD,nounix,sec=ntlmssp,noperm,rw,vers=3.02
where 10.0.1.43 is the local IP of your Catalina samber server, and mydevicewithmovies the name of the shared folder/device with your media files that will be mounted to /storage/yourmountpoint

Since Kodi will treat /storage/yourmountpoint just like any other local home folder location SMB is no longer something you need to deal with in Kodi.

On the macOS 10.15/Catalina side you don't need to change the default Catalina samba configuration or enable guest sharing.
Create a dedicated sharing user.
Then in macOS settings > sharing > file sharing  give your sharing user read/write access to the media folder you want to share. Then in the Options menu enable SMB and further below place a checkmark next to the sharing user (you will have to enter the sharing user's password).
Using the sharing user's (display) username and password you should now be able to mount the Catalina samba share in LibreELEC from the command line using the command above.
The first time you mount samba shares on your 10.15 Catalina Mac you should be asked to allow smbd access to your whole disk or removable media if your media is located on an attached device. Make sure both permissions are granted.
BTW I think Macs running 10.15 use samba version 3.02 so I added this version in the mount command. But it should work even if you don't explicitly set vers=3.02.

To make the OS mount your samba shares on boot you need to script. In LibreELEC you'd add some lines to or create ~/.config/autostart.sh:

bash:
for i in $(seq 1 120); do
mount -t cifs //10.0.1.43/mydevicewithmovies /storage/yourmountpoint -o user=USERNAME,password=PASSWORD,nounix,sec=ntlmssp,noperm,rw,vers=3.02
  if [ "$?" = "0" ]; then
    sync
    break
  fi
  sleep 1
  /usr/sbin/ether-wake -b aa:bb:cc:dd:ee:ff
done

If it can't mount your samba share right away it will try to wake your server with the MAC address aa:bb:cc:dd:ee:ff
At least on LibreELEC it seems to work.
Wink 
Any help is appreciated!

This is a great solution. Looks like somebody did not QC the SMB v2/3 support very well! Thank you VERY MUCH for isolating this issue and coming up with a workaround  Smile
(2020-07-10, 15:29)newbii Wrote:
(2019-12-13, 13:10)zemago Wrote:
(2019-10-27, 00:00)gilsonsjc Wrote: Hi,

Here is my environment:
  • Kodi 18.4 Git:20190831-3ade758ceb. Platform: Android ARM 64-bit
  • NVidia Shield TV with Android 9.0.0 API level 28, kernel: Linux ARM 64-bit version 4.9.140-tegra-g68283f0ff762.
  • Macbook air running macOs Catalina 10.15
  • Everything connected to the same network router
    • Shield and NAS with Gigabit cable
    • Macbook air connect with A/C wireless
    Problem description:
    I have always been able to stream videos from a MacBook Air connected to the same network. After updating the Mac to macOs Catalina I am not able to stream the videos anymore. I can navigate through the share from the Kodi/Videos interface but when I choose a video it stops before even opening the video. There is no error message on the screen.

Steps to reproduce:
  1. Create the share using File Sharing on macOs Catalina 10.15. Make sure the SMB and guess options are enabled.
  2. Add your movies to the smb share.
  3. Create a new video source in Kodi pointing to the SMB share you've created on step#1
  4. Try to play a movie from the new video source created on step#3
    Here is the log information:

https://paste.kodi.tv/otedufalok.kodi 

Please let me know what I should do in order to fix the problem

Thanks
Gilson 
Same question here.  Same behavior, same errors.
In three machines: 1-Smart TV Sony, android 8.  2-Mac OS 10.14 Mojave; 3- Win 10 19.03 release, all as Kodi Clients, and a Catalina MacPro as samba server.
In these machines Kodi 17.6 is ok with Catalina, Kodi 18.4 and 18.5 doesn't work. Kodi can browse but more slowly and cannot start the movie. No problems with Kodi 17.6  in this scenario. 
Package signingpacket signing off dont help.
In Services configurations on Kodi choose smb2 or 3 does not matter.
I guess is a new feature of Kodi 18 not accepted by security restrictions of Catalina.
Question is NOT SOLVED.
Any help please.

The samba configuration in Kodi's services menu is afaik only relevant if you want to enable samba sharing on the machine that runs Kodi, i.e. this machine is hosting the shares.
Kodi 18.7 can connect to 10.15/Catalina samba shares - the network traffic is there - but it is way too slow. In fact, listing folder contents is so slow that it's no wonder playback won't work.

The only way I could solve this is by delegating the handling of samba shares to the underlying OS. I understand this may not be possible for all Kodi installs.
LibreELEC in my case behaves like many other Linux based OS. You can mount Catalina samba shares with:

bash:
where 10.0.1.43 is the local IP of your Catalina samber server, and mydevicewithmovies the name of the shared folder/device with your media files that will be mounted to /storage/yourmountpoint

Since Kodi will treat /storage/yourmountpoint just like any other local home folder location SMB is no longer something you need to deal with in Kodi.

On the macOS 10.15/Catalina side you don't need to change the default Catalina samba configuration or enable guest sharing.
Create a dedicated sharing user.
Then in macOS settings > sharing > file sharing  give your sharing user read/write access to the media folder you want to share. Then in the Options menu enable SMB and further below place a checkmark next to the sharing user (you will have to enter the sharing user's password).
Using the sharing user's (display) username and password you should now be able to mount the Catalina samba share in LibreELEC from the command line using the command above.
The first time you mount samba shares on your 10.15 Catalina Mac you should be asked to allow smbd access to your whole disk or removable media if your media is located on an attached device. Make sure both permissions are granted.
BTW I think Macs running 10.15 use samba version 3.02 so I added this version in the mount command. But it should work even if you don't explicitly set vers=3.02.

To make the OS mount your samba shares on boot you need to script. In LibreELEC you'd add some lines to or create ~/.config/autostart.sh:

bash:
for i in $(seq 1 120); do
  if [ "$?" = "0" ]; then
    sync
    break
  fi
  sleep 1
  /usr/sbin/ether-wake -b aa:bb:cc:dd:ee:ff
done

If it can't mount your samba share right away it will try to wake your server with the MAC address aa:bb:cc:dd:ee:ff
At least on LibreELEC it seems to work.
can you give some real example of the code

I tried the command with my own device and mnt point but it won't mount
I finally upgraded my iMac to Catalina from Mojave. This worked for me BUT turn on SMB here:
System Preferences>Sharing>File Sharing>[your media folder here]>Options>Share files and folders using SMB

(Note I did not need to allow guest user in Users & Groups)

Follow "zemago" post re Kodi client settings (enable Advanced option first within Services):
Settings>Services>SMB Client>adjust Minimum protocol version to SMB1 and Maximum protocol version to SMB1, and reboot Kodi.

All media files are playing fine on my Kodi clients. Thanks go to zemago.
(2021-12-18, 08:47)gtoons Wrote: I finally upgraded my iMac to Catalina from Mojave. This worked for me BUT turn on SMB here:
System Preferences>Sharing>File Sharing>[your media folder here]>Options>Share files and folders using SMB

(Note I did not need to allow guest user in Users & Groups)

Follow "zemago" post re Kodi client settings (enable Advanced option first within Services):
Settings>Services>SMB Client>adjust Minimum protocol version to SMB1 and Maximum protocol version to SMB1, and reboot Kodi.

All media files are playing fine on my Kodi clients. Thanks go to zemago.
can you help me get this to work
tried this command but it does not work..

note : yes i changed the username/password, ip and path of the mount point and source according to my own but it won't work

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Can't stream over SMB after updating to macOS Catalina0