v19 Bug: Foreward and rewind is no longer possible w/ H.265 files, Kodi then hangs/exits
Description
  • Forwarding and rewinding is no longer possible with the current nightly build
    • The indicator jumps back to the beginning of the video when you navigate forward, but the video doesn't start anymore
  • Affected is any fast forward (the fast in jumps as well as the slow with 2x, 4x,...)
  • The problem only affects H.265 files! H.264 can be navigated without problems
  • Also, the problem does not occur with the Windows builds
  • Addition: Likewise, continuing at the last position no longer works, too. Here the sound will continue to play but no picture will appear Sad

Tested with
  • Sony Android TV
    • ARM32 build: kodi-20191108-88fffa13-master-armeabi-v7a.apk
  • Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
    • ARM64 build: kodi-20191108-88fffa13-master-arm64-v8a.apk

Test files
Both files can be navigated forwards and backwards with Kodi 18.4 without a problem.

With the two test videos you can reproduce the described behaviour. If you need debug logs anyway, please let me know which situation I should reproduce.
In my opinion, it simply must not be that changes to a meanwhile 19. program version still lead to the destruction of basic functions. I know it's all free and without obligation and so on, but I personally find it alarming if I were a Kodi developer.

Why do you have to change so much of the source code when you can't even estimate the impact? Why not work on useful extensions in the main version and build a completely new media center if you want to die in code beauty.

Right now you're shooting down every new Kodi version over and over again and I always feel as if I have a version in front of me that has just been freshly developed for the very first time in its main features and is faced with a huge pile of bugs that have all been there before and have already gone in the previous versions.

Just my thoughts about it. I'm now back to Kodi 18.4, not everything that already worked in Kodi 15, 16 and 17 works there too, but at least the forward winding works.
(2019-11-09, 20:04)rainman74 Wrote: Description
  • Forwarding and rewinding is no longer possible with the current nightly build
    • The indicator jumps back to the beginning of the video when you navigate forward, but the video doesn't start anymore
  • Affected is any fast forward (the fast in jumps as well as the slow with 2x, 4x,...)
  • The problem only affects H.265 files! H.264 can be navigated without problems
  • Also, the problem does not occur with the Windows builds
  • Addition: Likewise, continuing at the last position no longer works, too. Here the sound will continue to play but no picture will appear Sad
Tested with
  • Sony Android TV
    • ARM32 build: kodi-20191108-88fffa13-master-armeabi-v7a.apk
  • Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
    • ARM64 build: kodi-20191108-88fffa13-master-arm64-v8a.apk
Test files
Both files can be navigated forwards and backwards with Kodi 18.4 without a problem.

With the two test videos you can reproduce the described behaviour. If you need debug logs anyway, please let me know which situation I should reproduce. 

The resume issue is here for some time on ATV (Sony Oreo). I searched (and reported) found no solution.
The ffw etc. I noticed happened first time on build 01-Sep. So I'm on the 30-Aug now (the resume doesn't work, ffw/skip yes) - had no feedback
I think we should be considered as test users helping Kodi to materialise faster into a release rather than complaining about alpha versions day to day use :-)
(2019-11-13, 17:30)Shanyel Wrote:
(2019-11-09, 20:04)rainman74 Wrote: ...

The resume issue is here for some time on ATV (Sony Oreo). I searched (and reported) found no solution.
The ffw etc. I noticed happened first time on build 01-Sep. So I'm on the 30-Aug now (the resume doesn't work, ffw/skip yes) - had no feedback
I think we should be considered as test users helping Kodi to materialise faster into a release rather than complaining about alpha versions day to day use :-)  

I don't want to complain, I just want to give the developers some food for thought, whether it's really worth it, if minimal changes in new Kodi versions cause basic functions to be broken over and over again. Just what we did during the development of Kodi 18... and that's now back to 19!

That's why the development of a new version always takes 1-2 years until it's reasonably stable again. This has nothing at all to do with an agile approach, as the Kodi team actually wanted to achieve.

As I said, I'm not complaining, just thinking about it.
With one Android developer left in team kodi, it's absolutely unlcear if 18.4 was the last release for this platform - also not complaining, just thinking about it.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2019-11-13, 19:27)fritsch Wrote: With one Android developer left in team kodi, it's absolutely unlcear if 18.4 was the last release for this platform - also not complaining, just thinking about it.
I'd even appreciate it. I don't think anyone (at least normal users) needs a Kodi 19, because the 18.4x now runs quite stable (apart from profile handling), and H264 and HEVC run absolutely flawless and smooth.
Then just a few important bug fixes via backport and every Android user is happy.

Because of me a Kodi 18.9 can remain the last version for Android ;-)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Bug: Foreward and rewind is no longer possible w/ H.265 files, Kodi then hangs/exits0