Weird sorting/tag problem
Ok, so after re-tagging I conclude:
There's only one way to prevent sorting and artist naming issues when tagging with picard:
Quote:Use standardized artist names: Check to only use standard Artist names, rather than Artist Credits
If not using this setting, Kodi takes the first name for a new MBID as the artist's name. If this is an "Artist Credit", this gets used as Artist name throughout your music collection.
Problem: Even if the artist appears as composer, instrumentalist, etc. with an Artist Credit, this applies.

Example:
I had the artist "Max Herre" only appear as "Max" although all his albums were correctly tagged with "Max Herre" as albumartist. I found out that there's another album where he appears as composer under the name "Max". As this album was read in prior to the album of "Max Herre", there only was "Max" as Artist in the library.

I don't really like this behavior, as using standardized artist names reduces the variability widely. Instead of "Muddy Waters & Friends" there's only "Muddy Waters" left. My suggestion would be to overwrite composers, etc. if there appears an albumartist with a same MBID, so that albumartist names have priority.
I think it's important to reflect the variety of artists names somehow as they represent epoches or styles. Example? "Prince" aka T.A.F.K.A.P, Love Symbol, etc. ...
In regard to Prince these are all "aliases", not separate artists. So when using standardized Artist names, we loose T.A.F.K.A.P & Love Symbol and only get Prince.
As another example we have "Snoop Dog". His alter ego "Snoop Lion" (his reggae side project) has an own MBID and it's not an alias or Artist Credit.
A third example would be the german Rap producer "Farholt". He started a solo-project with as "Fuchy". In my eyes its a need to separate the producer from the artist. That would only be possible when _not_ using standardized artist names.
It even is not possible to decide on an "per album basis" if to use standardized artist names or artist credits, because as soon as the artist appears on another album as composer, instrumentalist, writer, texter, whatever, one has to decide on that album, too....

So, as MB's data is all but consistent in regards to how arists or aliases or alter egos, etc. are handled, a "per album" decision is all but convenient and nearly impossible to fetch all "roles" on other releases and scanning in media in a distinct order for to get the artist name correct (like we have it with "Various artists") is even no solution.

Hm... !?

Messages In This Thread
Weird sorting/tag problem - by Uatschitchun - 2019-11-25, 22:29
RE: Weird sorting/tag problem - by Karellen - 2019-11-25, 22:34
RE: Weird sorting/tag problem - by DaveBlake - 2019-11-26, 12:02
RE: Weird sorting/tag problem - by DaveBlake - 2019-11-26, 15:45
RE: Weird sorting/tag problem - by DaveBlake - 2019-11-26, 17:33
RE: Weird sorting/tag problem - by scott967 - 2019-11-26, 19:53
RE: Weird sorting/tag problem - by Uatschitchun - 2019-11-30, 16:04
RE: Weird sorting/tag problem - by DaveBlake - 2019-11-30, 17:25
RE: Weird sorting/tag problem - by DaveBlake - 2019-11-30, 20:21
RE: Weird sorting/tag problem - by scott967 - 2019-12-01, 20:14