Splitting up libraries into multiple home menu entries (duplication)
This one is about finding an easy way to duplicate main menu entries.

I know there are a lot of threads about the topic "custom home menu entries" and even a wiki entry.

All these topics have one thing in common: using the right skin, as some skins make it easier than others and some (fi estuary) need manual editing of xml files.

From what I've tried and experienced, it's trivial if you only want a main menu entry in using Smartplaylists or Nodes.
It becomes a hassle, if one would like to add "filtered" submenus, as one needs to rebuild the standard menu entry with all its submenus.
It lastly becomes a pita if one would like to add widgets, too.

What I would like to achieve is the complete duplication of the main menu entries like movies or music in an easy way, but I haven't found it yet :-)

As we're having a DB working in the back, it shouldn't be hard to achieve this goal...

From what I understand so far, the main menus are hardwired to "system" DB queries which are all aiming at the DB in its fullness. So far so good.
If one likes to really split up content (kids/non-kids or music/audiibooks) and have all the standard possibilities like menus, submenus, widgets, party-mode, etc, these hardwired paths and queries don't offer an easy way or make it impossible...

My thoughts on this are:
If it there was the possibility of adding a filtering layer in between the DB and the standard queries, it would be quite easy to have multiple main menu entries in their fullness (including submenus, widgets, etc) as all these would only see a filtered part of the DB.

We do have these filters right now with Smartplaylists and Nodes or with Sources in music. But these do not settle in between a main menu entry and the DB but next to the standard entry in a custom entry.

If there was that kind of filtering layer between the DB and the menu entry, all submenus, widgets, etc could get their data from that filtered subset of the DB instead of the DB itself.
It would be easy to add a 2nd or 3rd movie menu, as the menus themselves would be identical as they only need to be set to a specific filter.

What do you think about this idea?

Maybe I'm overseeing the simplest solution?

And yes, I would like to have a kids movie menu with widgets, submenus, etc and a non-kids one and I'd like to have a music menu and an audioplay menu with artists, albums, last listened, etc and widgets like random or new.
And yes, I don't want to use different profiles for that, as it needs different DBs, too.

Thoughts?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Splitting up libraries into multiple home menu entries (duplication)0