going from Leia nightly to Matrix - kodi will no longer open
not sure what to do to try to fix this.  I tried to go from the latest Leia nightly to the Matrix alpha nightly and now each time i open the app it just closes before ever getting started.

it is set to open on the stock skin so i know its not a skin problem

any ideas?  i don't want to have to start over with all my settings again if possible

is there a way to downgrade without uninstalling the app so you don't lose the app data?
(2019-12-14, 05:44)knives of ice Wrote: not sure what to do to try to fix this.  I tried to go from the latest Leia nightly to the Matrix alpha nightly and now each time i open the app it just closes before ever getting started.

any ideas?  i don't want to have to start over with all my settings again if possible

is there a way to downgrade without uninstalling the app so you don't lose the app data?
Try deleting the gui settings xml and profiles xml. Sometimes they get corrupted. You will loose the app settings but not the media database.
https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/issues/16617
(2019-12-14, 08:20)DNKK Wrote:
(2019-12-14, 05:44)knives of ice Wrote: not sure what to do to try to fix this.  I tried to go from the latest Leia nightly to the Matrix alpha nightly and now each time i open the app it just closes before ever getting started.

Try deleting the gui settings xml and profiles xml. Sometimes they get corrupted. You will loose the app settings but not the media database.

thanks will try that....if not going to backup the kodi folder in android to micro sd and then just start over if i have to
(2019-12-14, 08:20)DNKK Wrote:

just to update - deleting those files did not work.  i guess i'm just going to start over.  what a nightmare Leia 18.4 and 18.5 are
(2019-12-14, 09:58)knives of ice Wrote: what a nightmare Leia 18.4 and 18.5 are
So you are complaining about 18.4 and 18.5 being a nightmare because of Kodi crashes while you tried to install a Kodi version which is being considered as "alpha" software? Do you even know what "alpha" means in that case? If you don't know what you are doing or forgot to make backups, then I would suggest to not use Alpha software at all. Issues and crashes have to be expected while using alpha software.

No offense
(2019-12-14, 10:03)DaVu Wrote:
(2019-12-14, 09:58)knives of ice Wrote: what a nightmare Leia 18.4 and 18.5 are
So you are complaining about 18.4 and 18.5 being a nightmare because of Kodi crashes while you tried to install a Kodi version which is being considered as "alpha" software? Do you even know what "alpha" means in that case? If you don't know what you are doing or forgot to make backups, then I would suggest to not use Alpha software at all. Issues and crashes have to be expected while using alpha software.

No offense 

of course not, i tried upgrading to the alpha in hopes that it would fix the problems in 18.4 and 18.5  this was after going to the leia nightys and the problems still being there.  so i tried the alpha in hopes there were some fixes and the fucking thing won't even open now.

i'll just go back to 18.3
(2019-12-14, 10:11)knives of ice Wrote: so i tried the alpha in hopes there were some fixes and the fucking thing won't even open now.

Have you tried installing the fucking thing as a clean install, instead of upgrading it?
(2019-12-14, 10:16)Klojum Wrote:
(2019-12-14, 10:11)knives of ice Wrote: so i tried the alpha in hopes there were some fixes and the fucking thing won't even open now.

Have you tried installing the fucking thing as a clean install, instead of upgrading it?  

i know it will open with a clean install.  that won't help me from having to reinstall everything though so its easier to just go back to 18.3 where rar files work and you can actually play back 4K files without constant buffering.
That's where backups come in. Reinstall the addon(s), and restore the settings from the backup.
Just a bit work for a good working Kodi setup. Not everything works like magic.
(2019-12-14, 10:21)Klojum Wrote: That's where backups come in. Reinstall the addon(s), and restore the settings from the backup.
Just a bit work for a good working Kodi setup. Not everything works like magic.

yep, it just takes forever to backup and reinstall everything though, hours.  i'm well aware of the struggle of getting a good kodi setup, which is why bugs introduced in new versions are so frustrating when there is no easy way to downgrade the version with android.
(2019-12-14, 10:11)knives of ice Wrote: in hopes that it would fix the problems in 18.4 and 18.5 

Whatever those might be

By reading your last posts, you seem to have buffering problems. But i've never seen that you provided any logfile or even open a bug report. You are simply complaining and that won't get you anywhere. If everything works for you in 18.3 and stopped working in 18.4, I guess it might probably not be too hard for the devs to see what has been changed between those versions. But you can't expect that devs will care about every complaint if no proper logfile has been provided.

My suggestion:

- open a new thread or create a bug report here: https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/issues
- explain your problem in an useful way (with logs and such)
- provide logs from a working and a non working install

In that way you would help to make Kodi better for everyone.

But if you don't care, then feel free to continue complaining. Just saying that it will not help anyone. Wink
(2019-12-14, 10:26)DaVu Wrote:
(2019-12-14, 10:11)knives of ice Wrote: in hopes that it would fix the problems in 18.4 and 18.5 

Whatever those might be

By reading your last posts, you seem to have buffering problems. But i've never seen that you provided any logfile or even open a bug report. You are simply complaining and that won't get you nowhere. If everything works for you in 18.3 and stopped working in 18.4, I guess it might probably not be too hard for the devs to see what has been changed between those versions. But you can't expect that devs will care about every complaint if no proper logfile has been provided.

My suggestion:

- open a new thread or create a bug report here: https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/issues
- explain your problem in an useful way (with logs and such)
- provide logs from a working and a non working install

In that way you would help to make Kodi better for everyone.

But if you don't care, then feel free to continue complaining. Just saying that it will not help anyone. Wink  

myself and others have multiple posts in multiple threads about the buffering issue and nothing has been solved.  hell, considering i can't even open kodi right now its pretty hard to log anything. at least posting about 18.4 and rar files stopping to work was fixed and i did start the thread to bring about that fix.  it just doesn't make sense if i am forced to start over like i am now to try anything but 18.3 but i do appreciate the suggestions.
(2019-12-14, 10:24)knives of ice Wrote: there is no easy way to downgrade the version with android.
Using adbLink connect to your device.
Select Uninstall APK, select org.xbmc.kodi - making sure to tick -k (keep app data) - and uninstall it.
Reboot your device.
Reconnect adbLink, select Install APK and select the downloaded version of Kodi you want to install.
(2019-12-14, 10:49)Hitcher Wrote:
(2019-12-14, 10:24)knives of ice Wrote: there is no easy way to downgrade the version with android.
Using adbLink connect to your device.
Select Uninstall APK, select org.xbmc.kodi - making sure to tick -k (keep app data) - and uninstall it.
Reboot your device.
Reconnect adbLink, select Install APK and select the downloaded version of Kodi you want to install. 
awesome, i will use this next time for sure.  i only knew how to do this with root which i do not currently have on my shield.  gonna bookmark the adblink site

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
going from Leia nightly to Matrix - kodi will no longer open0