Delayed Start of Music Playback
(2020-01-15, 11:02)DaveBlake Wrote: It was most likely from the begining that the issue was something local to your system, thanks for reporting back to confirm that.

High quality sound is important to me, has been for decades (on this forum "audiophile" has a negative connotation used for those with some idiot ideas about digital processing that they agressively rant about, so I'm not going to call myself that!). Frankly I have never heard any benefit from higher and higher bitrates, for my ears at least the CDDA standard hit a sweet spot for what is percievable. There are differences in recordings and mastering for sure, I can hear the difference made by audio equipment including CD transports and digital interconnect cables etc. (as near to snake oil as I go).  So do check first that the pursuit of high bitrate music audio sources is something that you care about and can hear, and then if it is you need to get yourself a system setup fast enough to handle it.

I'm not telling you what you can hear, only you know that, just suggesting you check.
Not that bitrate seems to be the cause here, but I just watched a 4K movie file with a bitrate of 55 Mbps with no issues.
(2020-01-15, 11:02)DaveBlake Wrote: It was most likely from the begining that the issue was something local to your system, thanks for reporting back to confirm that.

High quality sound is important to me, has been for decades (on this forum "audiophile" has a negative connotation used for those with some idiot ideas about digital processing that they agressively rant about, so I'm not going to call myself that!). Frankly I have never heard any benefit from higher and higher bitrates, for my ears at least the CDDA standard hit a sweet spot for what is percievable. There are differences in recordings and mastering for sure, I can hear the difference made by audio equipment including CD transports and digital interconnect cables etc. (as near to snake oil as I go).  So do check first that the pursuit of high bitrate music audio sources is something that you care about and can hear, and then if it is you need to get yourself a system setup fast enough to handle it.

I'm not telling you what you can hear, only you know that, just suggesting you check.
Not that bitrate seems to be the problem here, but I just watched a 4K movie with a bitrate of 55 Mbps with no problems.

Not that bitrate seems to be the cause here, but I just watched a 4K movie file with a bitrate of 55 Mbps with no issues.
Ok, I think I've found the cause. I had an extra chassis (new) for my media drives, exactly the same model. I installed it and transferred the drives and the songs now play perfectly. This is very strange because over the past few months I've tried playing music from a variety of drives, flash drives, SSDs, hard drives in a docking station, using different USB ports, using USB hubs, and they all had the same problem. But just swapping the chassis with an identical unit and everything's better? Very puzzling.

Anyway, I've only tested it for one day, so I'll see what happens over time.
Is it a WD MyBook?
Also, if you use Windows you'll be able to speed up USB drives a bit by disabling LastAccess. Run this from an elevated command prompt:
Code:
fsutil behavior set disablelastaccess 1
(2020-03-25, 18:16)HeresJohnny Wrote: Is it a WD MyBook?
Also, if you use Windows you'll be able to speed up USB drives a bit by disabling LastAccess. Run this from an elevated command prompt:
Code:
fsutil behavior set disablelastaccess 1

It's on Windows and goes all the way back to Eden. It's a multi-disk chassis (Icy Dock Black Vortex), but as you can see I've tried many different sources and interfaces, not just USB. Read the whole thread if you are interested. Since it seems to be fixed I have my fingers crossed.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Delayed Start of Music Playback00
This forum uses Lukasz Tkacz MyBB addons.