v18 Video freezes on Android Pie - Sony TV X9500G
I have the same problem on X9500G(China model) with android 9 + HT-RT5 , which has plagued me for months.
I am using SMB to play videos on my NAS. At first I thought it's cache problems, then increased cache to 1G, but it is no difference.
I think you will be interested in this thread https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=310393, they talked about stutter for years.
I tried VLC android, it works very well on 1080p or 4k, I will test KM player and MX Player later.
Yes, what is very frustrating is that VLC works perfectly on my Android TV (Sony AG9), and i got these freezes with Kodi 18.6, and now 18.7, still same issue. For exactly the same movies that are stored on my NAS.
(2020-05-27, 12:21)Tixu Wrote: Yes, what is very frustrating is that VLC works perfectly on my Android TV (Sony AG9), and i got these freezes with Kodi 18.6, and now 18.7, still same issue. For exactly the same movies that are stored on my NAS.

Same here on Sony XE95... VLC works excellent, the only problem, it doesn't give the same experience as Kodi in terms of user interface and library management. 
There are several issues with running Kodi on Sony/Philips ATV. Video freezes as reported here; also resume in H.265 video plays audio with a black screen for some time now on v18, and as far as I see in v19 (a least atm) seek is not working for H.265 at all.
So I ended up using VLC and Kodi...
Having an external box is a hussle, and exactly the opposite principle of having an Android TV...
There are are only couple of Android developers for Kodi for some time and they're doing a great job, however I wish these things were solved somehow for us Android TV owners...
(2020-05-27, 22:24)Shanyel Wrote: There are are only couple of Android developers for Kodi for some time and they're doing a great job, however I wish these things were solved somehow for us Android TV owners... 
I think the issue is caused by Sony not following Android guidelines when developing their crappy firmware. I doubt anyone at Kodi can solve anything as they are no longer prepared to work around hacked firmwares.
(2020-05-27, 22:35)FXB78 Wrote:
(2020-05-27, 22:24)Shanyel Wrote: There are are only couple of Android developers for Kodi for some time and they're doing a great job, however I wish these things were solved somehow for us Android TV owners... 
I think the issue is caused by Sony not following Android guidelines when developing their crappy firmware. I doubt anyone at Kodi can solve anything as they are no longer prepared to work around hacked firmwares. 

So how do we explain that VLC on Sony Android works well?
Yes we know Sony chose to do their own thing with a useless firmware, however the fact that VLC plays well H.265 in specific w/o any issues means (for non dev guy like me) that there is a way for it to work...
(2020-05-27, 23:21)Shanyel Wrote:
(2020-05-27, 22:35)FXB78 Wrote:

Yes we know Sony chose to do their own thing with a useless firmware, however the fact that VLC plays well H.265 in specific w/o any issues means (for non dev guy like me) that there is a way for it to work...
I assume they put in a hack to work around Sony's firmware.
(2020-05-27, 23:33)FXB78 Wrote:
(2020-05-27, 23:21)Shanyel Wrote:
(2020-05-27, 22:35)FXB78 Wrote: I think the issue is caused by Sony not following Android guidelines when developing their crappy firmware. I doubt anyone at Kodi can solve anything as they are no longer prepared to work around hacked firmwares. 

most likely, and similar to others (Emby, Plex, MX etc.). The problem is you can't find something on par with Kodi and it annoys me to think that soon enough I'll have to ditch using Kodi Android on my Sony ATV and the only solution left is having an RPi or another ATV box...
(2020-04-30, 17:06)fritsch Wrote: Did you ask Sony for help already?
I have a Sony AG9, with the same problem. I have tried setting cache parameters in Kodi, tried killing all background processess except Kodi, etc. and same issue. Has anyone found any fix besides factory resetting the devices periodically?
(2020-05-28, 11:21)Shanyel Wrote:
(2020-05-27, 23:33)FXB78 Wrote:
(2020-05-27, 23:21)Shanyel Wrote: So how do we explain that VLC on Sony Android works well?
most likely, and similar to others (Emby, Plex, MX etc.). The problem is you can't find something on par with Kodi and it annoys me to think that soon enough I'll have to ditch using Kodi Android on my Sony ATV and the only solution left is having an RPi or another ATV box...
There’s the possiblity of using a 3rd party player within Kodi: https://kodi.wiki/view/External_players

Have not tried that yet though
Yes, same issue for me too.

I have been using kodi for a long time. First with Rpi, then with Nvidia Shield and just now when i have bought a new TV with Android I came across this issue. VLC works well but kodi doesn't.
I think i'ts time to look for some alternative. There are some apps that are kodi forks and others are compatible with kodi mysql library so maybe we could give them a chance.
Same issue here, I'm using wifi though. Does this happen even using ethernet?
(2020-09-02, 05:29)jon12345 Wrote: Same issue here, I'm using wifi though. Does this happen even using ethernet?

Yes, it happens. I'm using ethernet but it has the same behaviour.
I have an 850G that has the video stutter issue, and it occurs across all video streaming apps on this TV. I think I've solved it though (after I made these changes, it worked flawlessly for over 20 minutes - something it hasn't done except for the first 24 hours after a factory reset).

I kept noticing a Timer in recent apps. Why would a timer be running at all? You can't disable the timer, so... I disabled Notifications for that app, and saw a dramatic reduction in video stuttering/lagging issues. So I went through the app list and disabled notifications from everything I could find. I also turned on Developer Options and enabled forced GPU for 2d images. That combination allowed me to use streaming services without video lagging for the first time since I bought the TV.
I factory reset my X950G (after upgrade to latest) and it seems much better. Maybe 1-2 freezes per hour, used to be every 10 mins.
Same with me on SONY 55AG9. It happens in Kodi but as well in Netflix and Plex. It is definately Sony firmware issue. It happens on so many models. I disabled all apps notifications, apps auto update and lower motionflow and clearness to minimum in TV and it helps a little bit

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Video freezes on Android Pie - Sony TV X9500G1