Raspberry pi 4 blank screen on boot if started with HDMI plugged in
So I feel a bit ignorant about this stuff but I'm also genuinely confused as to why I can't figure out a simple solution to this. I feel like maybe I just need to add a line to the config.txt or something? But I'm not sure what that line is.

I have a Raspberry Pi 4 connected to a low-end projector via HDMI.

If I start it with the HDMI cable unplugged and wait for KODI to boot everything is great. And the resolution in Kodi is 1024 x 768 (which is what I set it to). But if I boot it with the HDMI cable plugged in, the first boot screens show up and then the point at which KODI would show up just displays a blank black screen. At this point KODI is running, I can navigate and reset the unit with my remote, but the display is just blank. I would assume the resolution has switched to something my projector can't handle.

I feel like there's some sort of HDMI detection going awry but I can't find how to disable it?

I swear I tried googling about this issue. Thanks!
If its HDMI detection, then you should be able to modify the resolution settings by creating an EDID file (using tvservice) when the system has been booted with no HDMI plugged in, and then using config.txt entries to force use of your saved EDID file.
However, from what Iv'e seen posted about RPi4, it might be HDMI port selection by KODI which is really the problem - and I've no experience of changing this.
HTH
Derek
Hi, 
i started having this same issue with clean installation on RPi3 - tested on both LibreELEC and OSMC so most probably it's an issue on Kodi side...
Did you try this yet?

https://kodi.wiki/view/Raspberry_Pi_FAQ#...d_on_first

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Raspberry pi 4 blank screen on boot if started with HDMI plugged in0