Solved KODI 18.x connecting to MyCloud EXUltra2 for Movies etc.
Dear all

I have searched long and could not find a solution neither with the help of the forum nor the manual or the web in general.

Please advise/help what I should do:

I have gotten a new WD MyCloud EX Ultra 2 NAS (since the old one which was working fine with Kodi, broke Sad)
I have a MacMini running MacOS connecting to the NAS via Ethernet.
The WD MyCloud is setup as JBOD (Just a bunch of disks).
I can connect to KODI using upnp, I can see my movies etc., but I cannot screen those, get the posters, info etc. and therefore I am sad Sad
When trying to connect to SMB3 it doesn't work (wrong settings?)

Questions:
Can anyone please post the correct settings for the WDMyCloud (screenshots) and also for KODI 18.x either for upnp or SMB? I don't care as long as it works Wink
Do you recommend I format my MyCloud again as Raid0 or Raid1 instead of JBOD? (not tried yet)

thank you very much for taking your time and point me in the right direction
cheers
Sheerkhan
I've not done this on a MyCloud EX2 Ultra, but until recently I did similar on a MyCloud Mirror which is more or less the same device. There I also ran JBOD mode, as I didn't need the backup of RAID1, and personally I wouldn't touch RAID0 as it's too risky in case of drive failure. This was also for access via LibreElec and Windows Kodi rather than from a Mac, but I guess it should be similar.

Anyway personally I would recommend using NFS for the file sharing. That is enabled in the network services section of the network screen, and once you turn it on then for each share you should be able to enable the service (which will also show you the URL to use to access it). Under the options when you do enable it on the share you can optionally make it read-only or read/write, and can limit who can access it. Then under Kodi you can just add a new source, select NFS and either browse or use the URL to access the share that way.

If you go via UPNP then you can't scrape the content into the library, so miss out on the metadata as you already found.

There are details in the EX2 Ultra manual as well if you need screenshots or reference.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
(2020-01-20, 12:11)DarrenHill Wrote: I've not done this on a MyCloud EX2 Ultra, but until recently I did similar on a MyCloud Mirror which is more or less the same device. There I also ran JBOD mode, as I didn't need the backup of RAID1, and personally I wouldn't touch RAID0 as it's too risky in case of drive failure. This was also for access via LibreElec and Windows Kodi rather than from a Mac, but I guess it should be similar.

Anyway personally I would recommend using NFS for the file sharing. That is enabled in the network services section of the network screen, and once you turn it on then for each share you should be able to enable the service (which will also show you the URL to use to access it). Under the options when you do enable it on the share you can optionally make it read-only or read/write, and can limit who can access it. Then under Kodi you can just add a new source, select NFS and either browse or use the URL to access the share that way.

If you go via UPNP then you can't scrape the content into the library, so miss out on the metadata as you already found.

There are details in the EX2 Ultra manual as well if you need screenshots or reference.

Dear Darren

thank you for your post!

Unfortunately it also does not work, getting frustrated here (since it all worked like a charm the past few years) Sad

I configured NFS on the MyCloudEx... but when I choose NFS in Kodi to browse for new share, it doesn’t do anything, I do not get to enter the URL or anything.
When I click on Windows network SMB (which was used the last couple of years), there is an error saying „error 2: share not available“

Any other ideas please?

thank you
cheers
Sheerkhan
The first thing to check is whether you've got a firewall, anti-virus or something like that between the two of them (on your Mac or on your router) that's blocking things. Or if you're router is set to isolate devices for example. The MyCloud and the Mac also need to be on the same network and subnet (same first three numbers on their IP addresses if you're using IPv4).

Browsing via NFS should (after maybe a brief pause for scanning) show all available NFS sources on your network. Your "doesn't do anything" sounds more like it's scanning and not finding anything.

Another thing to confirm is can you see the MyCloud under Finder and open other files on it?
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
Shocked 
(2020-01-20, 22:58)DarrenHill Wrote: The first thing to check is whether you've got a firewall, anti-virus or something like that between the two of them (on your Mac or on your router) that's blocking things. Or if you're router is set to isolate devices for example. The MyCloud and the Mac also need to be on the same network and subnet (same first three numbers on their IP addresses if you're using IPv4).

Browsing via NFS should (after maybe a brief pause for scanning) show all available NFS sources on your network. Your "doesn't do anything" sounds more like it's scanning and not finding anything.

Another thing to confirm is can you see the MyCloud under Finder and open other files on it?

Dear Darren

thank you again!

I have tried with the NFS again and again and then gave Windows SMB a final try, not in "browse for new share", BUT in "add network location":

My solution: select Windows network (SMB), then in Server name I added the 0x.0x.0x.0x IP-address, also filled in the username and password and tried like that...it worked!! Rofl

OMG, I must have tried for several hours and was completely lost and already regretted buying the MyCloud... Shocked

thanks again and keep up the good work you guys all do for us!
much appreciated

cheers
Sheerkhan
Glad it's fixed.

SMB browsing by default won't work, as that's a function of SMB1 which has been removed from Windows by default. SMB2 and SMB3 are the current standards, and don't include the browse capability (you have to enter the IP address, as you did above). It is possible to reactivate SMB1 on Windows, but it's a security risk as several major flaws have been found in it which will not be fixed (search for Wannacry if you want an example).

Thread marked solved.

Kodi Blog Posts

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
KODI 18.x connecting to MyCloud EXUltra2 for Movies etc.0