Buffering and lockups while watching TV at time of EPG update
Hi, I have been plagued by buffering and lockups, sometimes Kodi crashes, while watching TV (kodi x64 18.6 but present on numerous earlier versions at least 18.x running on Win10 ) using NPVR backend (4.2.5) and NPVR addon 3.3.19.

I eventually tied this down to the EPG update. On my HTPC the EPG update is scheduled for 22:32 and the lockups begin at about 22:32 (just after the start of newsnight, like clockwork). I wondered if this was hardware but on a machine with a 4790K, 16GB RAM and all SSD/NVME hard drives, the same thing happens (EPG set for 16:30, lockups etc. at about 16:32).

I cannot see that anyone else has ever reported this, at least not recently, and yet I see it on two machines with pretty much default settings and it's hard to miss. Reducing the advanced DVB/ATSC EPG duration to 10 secs per frequency from the 60 second default didn't make much difference.

If I am watching a video there is no problem at 22:32 and if watching TV on NPVR there is no problem.

Does anyone have any ideas how to fix it (ignoring the obvious but unhelpful options of turning EPG off or running it other times)?
There is a definite problem with Timeshift mode that will cause a crash so if you are using it use Extended Timeshift or better yet upgrade to v5 of NextPVR.  If you have problems after making this change post zipped Kodi debug logs and NextPVR logs on the NextPVR forum.

Regarding a tie-in with EPG updates the reason you may not see posts on this is updates during recordings and Live TV have been frowned upon.  I am not sure what sub's current recommendation is for v5 but it makes sense to do this in off hours. 

Martin
(2020-03-17, 19:54)Archway Wrote: ignoring the obvious but unhelpful options of turning EPG off or running it other times?

I'm not sure why you'd say it's unhelpful, but it's probably the easiest fix - just move your EPG to happen at a time you're less likely to be using the system, like 4AM or somthing.
(2020-03-17, 20:07)emveepee Wrote: There is a definite problem with Timeshift mode that will cause a crash so if you are using it use Extended Timeshift or better yet upgrade to v5 of NextPVR.  If you have problems after making this change post zipped Kodi debug logs and NextPVR logs on the NextPVR forum.

Regarding a tie-in with EPG updates the reason you may not see posts on this is updates during recordings and Live TV have been frowned upon.  I am not sure what sub's current recommendation is for v5 but it makes sense to do this in off hours. 

Martin
The simple reason for not wanting the obvious suggestion of using EPG at some other time is that the machine is generally turned off when it is not in use and it is not possible to set it to start-up and shutdown on a schedule automatically such that EPG updates could only be done if I either left the machine on 24 hours a day or when I remember to turn it on specifically for an EPG update.

The suggestion of installing v5 was helpful. I had not done this as v5 was not ready for prime-time use when I last checked but I have now installed this and the buffering problem has largely but not entirely gone away.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Buffering and lockups while watching TV at time of EPG update0