Win Which processor is better?
I am currently in the market for a replacement PC to what i currently have, which is a Dell Optiplex 960 with a Core2Duo 3.0Ghz, 6GB RAM, 128GB SSD, and 1GB Nvidia GPU. It is hard wired into a Gigabit switch to my LAN, plus HDMI to my TV, and the TV has a Toslink to my surround sound bar. The reason for me wanting a replacement is due to a few issues i'm noticing:
  • when watching Youtube videos, regardless of their length, the audio/video skips/stutters a bit throughout
  • After upgrading to Kodi 18 from 17, I noticed that when i play 1080p video, that the video will stutter at random times throughout a movie. This doesn't happen with 720p or 480p video however. This problem did not happen when i was running v17 oddly enough
  • I also have been having some overheating issues where the fans run high
So I tend to purchase used Dell Optiplexs straight from Dell because i have had good luck with that process. I have 3 options listed below that i would like your opinions on which would be best. Obviously they would all be better than what i have now, but I'm wondering which would be able to handle 4K whenever i choose to upgrade my TV to that. I'm not sure if having a dedicated GPU is better to have over a better processor, but this is what i came up with my in my price range:

Option 1 ($189): Dell Optiplex 7020, i7-4790 3.6GHz Quad, 16GB RAM, 500GB HDD (will be replacing this with the 128GB i already have), Intel Graphics with Displayport (I'll have to use a displayport to HDMI converter)

Option 2 ($229): Dell Optiplex 7020, i5-4590 3.3Ghz Quad, 20GB RAM, 500GB HDD (will be replacing this with the 128GB i already have), AMD Radeon R5 240 1GB (I'll have to use a displayport to HDMI converter) 

Option 3 ($239): Dell Optiplex 7040, i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad, 8GB RAM, 500GB HDD (will be replacing this with the 128GB i already have). Intel Graphics with HDMI built-in

So what are your thoughts on the processors, like is the added cost worth it for more RAM or a newer machine, or is the first one with the i7 better to have in the long-run? Thanks!
Option 3 ($239): Dell Optiplex 7040, i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad, 8GB RAM, 500GB HDD (will be replacing this with the 128GB i already have). Intel Graphics with HDMI built-in

to run 4k from a PC for non-gaming and non-rendering uses, it'll usually only take a 4k compatible motherboard. The Skylake processors all come with an iGPU capable of running general-use at 4k, which includes streaming movies.

i would look at a ryzen 2400g build
“You are going to a criminally dangerous neighbourhood. Pirate sites are big businesses and exist solely to make money by robbing you, or worse. This is your cyber security is in danger and malware, blackmail and identity theft is common place.”
(2020-03-24, 01:18)the_other_guy Wrote: Option 3 ($239): Dell Optiplex 7040, i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad, 8GB RAM, 500GB HDD (will be replacing this with the 128GB i already have). Intel Graphics with HDMI built-in

to run 4k from a PC for non-gaming and non-rendering uses, it'll usually only take a 4k compatible motherboard. The Skylake processors all come with an iGPU capable of running general-use at 4k, which includes streaming movies.

i would look at a ryzen 2400g build

Oh, good to know! I will check out the Ryzen as well. Thanks!
(2020-03-23, 14:56)mknabster Wrote: So what are your thoughts on the processors, like is the added cost worth it for more RAM or a newer machine, or is the first one with the i7 better to have in the long-run? Thanks! 
a <$100 Odroid N2 setup would be far superior for video playback purposes. So if your primary use for this device is Kodi/video playback, you're going at it all wrong. If you need a general purpose PC, then look at the best system you can buy now that meets your needs an upgrade to a dGPU that fully supports 4K once you need it

(2020-03-24, 01:18)the_other_guy Wrote: The Skylake processors all come with an iGPU capable of running general-use at 4k, which includes streaming movies.
Skylake GPUs don't handle HEVC Main10 (ie, can't decode 10-bit content), VP9, and don't have native HDMI 2.0 output. Skylake offers "4K-lite" at best
(2020-04-01, 03:07)Matt Devo Wrote: Skylake GPUs don't handle HEVC Main10 (ie, can't decode 10-bit content), VP9
They do handle HEVC Main10 and VP9.

No, they don't - the only can do 8 bit in HW and use a "hybrid decoder" for 10 bit (but only on windows) - performance sucks and only 1080p can be decoded - useless.

That graph is wrong.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Which processor is better?00
This forum uses Lukasz Tkacz MyBB addons.