How to add music concerts manually (NFO file setup)
Hi there,
I have some classical music concerts that are not in the TMDB database. I have been looking for a way to integrate them into Kodi for some time.
A concert consists of several files (MP4 format). I have a description of the concert and the names of each part. I would also like to show individual artists for each part (if possible).
I imagine a representation like an audio CD.
I have been searching for some time now, but I don't know how to build an NFO file so that everything is displayed appropriately.

Maybe you can give me a tip and point me in the right direction. I also would use an addon if necessary.
I know the Music concerts Wiki page but they always talk about commercial music DVDs or Blue-Rays. Additionally a concert always corresponds to one single file.

Thanks a lot
Spiff1
(2020-04-04, 20:20)Spiff1 Wrote: I have been searching for some time now, but I don't know how to build an NFO file so that everything is displayed appropriately.
You don't state which part of the library you are adding the concerts to.

If you are adding them to Music Videos use this page... https://kodi.wiki/view/NFO_files/Music_videos
If you are adding them to Movies use this page... https://kodi.wiki/view/NFO_files/Movies

Both pages have a template that you can copy into your own nfo file and fill in the data.
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
(2020-04-04, 21:45)Karellen Wrote:
(2020-04-04, 20:20)Spiff1 Wrote: I have been searching for some time now, but I don't know how to build an NFO file so that everything is displayed appropriately.
You don't state which part of the library you are adding the concerts to.

If you are adding them to Music Videos use this page... https://kodi.wiki/view/NFO_files/Music_videos
If you are adding them to Movies use this page... https://kodi.wiki/view/NFO_files/Movies

Both pages have a template that you can copy into your own nfo file and fill in the data. 
Thank you for your answer,
I think i tried both, but maybe not the right way.
At the movies wiki page i can only find information about adding one file. I checked all possible attributes of the nfo-file and have no idea how tell Kodi that this "Movie" (my concert) has got several parts.
I will try it again adding a few concerts as music videos. Maybe all videos with the same album name will be grouped together automatically?
Although the nfo-file has got an attribute "track" there is a note that it is not used (could maybe used to tell Kodi the order of the single files). Interestingly it is used within the sample nfo-file.
I always thought that "Music videos" is used for single video files.

I will report back.
Have a nice weekend
Spiff1
(2020-04-04, 22:43)Spiff1 Wrote: I always thought that "Music videos" is used for single video files.
It is. And when you mentioned Concerts, I wasn't playing close enough attention and I assumed it was 1 single video file- ie a 2hr concert.

But it sounds like you have lots of tracks for 1 concert. Is this correct?

Maybe you could modify the title - ie
<title>U2: Rattle and Hum 1</title>
<title>U2: Rattle and Hum 2</title>
<title>U2: Rattle and Hum 3</title>

I wonder if <sorttitle> will work in Music Videos. You could try that instead of the <title>
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
(2020-04-04, 22:50)Karellen Wrote:
(2020-04-04, 22:43)Spiff1 Wrote: I always thought that "Music videos" is used for single video files.
But it sounds like you have lots of tracks for 1 concert. Is this correct?

Maybe you could modify the title - ie
<title>U2: Rattle and Hum 1</title>
<title>U2: Rattle and Hum 2</title>
<title>U2: Rattle and Hum 3</title>

I wonder if <sorttitle> will work in Music Videos. You could try that instead of the <title> 
Hi, yes i got for example 4 mp4-files for one concert.
I did a first test. The track tag can be used to sort the videos in the right order.
When i sort by album i got a view i was thinking about.
I wonder how i can add an album picture (where should i place the file and how should i name it)?
My other question is how i can show the album "plot". there might be general information about the concert and it makes no sense to put this into the plot tag of every single file...
Technically it might be possible to put all files of ane concert together.
But that might mean to convert the mp4-file to mkv. Put them together and add chapters... (This may not be the best way to achieve the results I have in mind)

For me it just needs to be like with audio albums Smile (but i don't know if it is possible to achive witrh Kodi at the moment).
Thank you for your support!
Maybe @HomerJau might be more knowledgeable. I don't use Music Videos or Concerts at all so my advice is just general advice.
My Signature
Kodi's artwork support for music videos is a bit lacking. You either have to have multiple copies of the artwork, one for each video file and name the files <video filename without extension>-thumb.jpg, or you have to manually point each video to the same file.

It's a shame Kodi doesn't support using the same artist\album\ folder structure as music, with a folder.jpg in each artist and album.

For artist artwork I don't even think Kodi looks for any specifically named files, it just gets the artwork from the music db if you happen to also have music with the same artist. If you don't, it simply fails and you have to manually assign the artist an image.
(2020-04-04, 23:22)Karellen Wrote: Maybe @HomerJau might be more knowledgeable. I don't use Music Videos or Concerts at all so my advice is just general advice.

I'm already in contact with HomerJAU ;-)
I tried his Music Media Helper Tool.
But i think the first step needs to be to find out what would be the best setup for Kodi (concerning directory structure and nfo-file setup).
Greetings from Bavaria
Spiff1
A couple things. 

Video type "music videos" can be accessed via either the videos or music window.  I don't think it matters on Estuary, but some skins might have different views.

Music videos have artist and album nodes.  Artist node will show artist art from the music library if it exists.  From the code, I believe the intent was for album node to work the same way to show the music library cover if it exists, but the code doesn't work.  I don't believe there is any way to get a cover art on the music video album node.  It's been a feature request of mine at least for years.

It is possible to get a cover art for an individual music video saved.  You can create a new arttype cover and use something like artwork beef or use an advancedsettings.xml entry for it.  (You would need to supply local cover.jpg or png files that can be scanned.)  You can also use music tagging software to add a cover (at least for mp4) and it will show up as the "poster" for the MV.

Something else you could conceivably add the files as a "tv show" with each file as an "episode" but I don't think that would add much value.

scott s.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
How to add music concerts manually (NFO file setup)0