Network Source & MYSQL Library Sharing on Xbox One
Hey,

Here is the situation:
I have a LAN setup with about 5 Kodi devices all sharing a Library via a MYSQL DB. I am using the advancedsettings.xml to connect to the DB and my files are all shared via network sources using SMB v1 as my routers (USB shared storage) only support that. It is working really well for me. I now have 2 Xbox Ones I want to add to this network and have them access that same MSQL DB and Samba shares.

Here is the problem:
Apparently with this UWP version of Kodi I can only enable SMB v2/3 support for network shares. So how can I now make these XBoxes access that shared data that other devices can see and share?

Is there a Kodi addon for UWP that installs SMB v1, I see none but maybe I am missing something. Other options could be to use another protocol like FTP? I have not tested but I assume the MYSQL DB should be fine and still be able to talk to the DB directly via IP and PORT but I am not sure.

Any suggestions or ideas as to how I could make the xboxes coexist with the SMB v1 LAN so I can share the same files and MYSQL DB?

Thanks in advance,
One thing you could do is try to use different hardware and better server software for your file server, as SMBv1 has been deprecated for a good reason: its abysmal security levels.
A router is also not the faster piece of hardware when used for a file server. A Raspberry Pi with a recent Rapbian OS on it will be a better& safer solution.

In terms of other protocols, NFS is always a good candidate, provided you use Windows 10 enterprise as a NFS server, or better yet, any recent Linux distro.
File protocols for your media are not related to database protocols, so they won't bite each other.
(2020-04-15, 15:30)Klojum Wrote: One thing you could do is try to use different hardware and better server software for your file server, as SMBv1 has been deprecated for a good reason: its abysmal security levels.
A router is also not the faster piece of hardware when used for a file server. A Raspberry Pi with a recent Rapbian OS on it will be a better& safer solution.

In terms of other protocols, NFS is always a good candidate, provided you use Windows 10 enterprise as a NFS server, or better yet, any recent Linux distro.
File protocols for your media are not related to database protocols, so they won't bite each other.

Thanks for the reply. At this point I fear my only choice is hardware upgrade as my router does not support anything but SMB v1 and I ca't buy a new router at this time. The Xboxes will have no Kodi library, I'll have to live with that for now I guess.
As said, a simple Raspberry Pi box can also act as your SMB server, and can be much more versatile. There is no need for a new router.
(2020-04-15, 18:50)Klojum Wrote: As said, a simple Raspberry Pi box can also act as your SMB server, and can be much more versatile. There is no need for a new router.

Good point. I actually have an old RPi2b that I might be able to re purpose. It only gave 10/110 Ethernet and USB 2 so it will not be fast. I am just missing a power supply but once I find one I will give it a shot. The main bonus to my other router was that it supports 10/100/1000 Ethernet and USB 3 so I was looking at better transfer speeds but with SMB v1 and an older router the RPi2b might be comparable in terns of overall speed / throughput. What do you think...?

Thanks,
Sure, the 2B should work, but bare in mind its 100Mb/s network speed is only some 30-sh Mb/s in real life, since that port is connected internally to a USB 2.0 port.

An RPi4B 2GB was recently dropped to the same price as the 1GB version. That one has gigabit (some 300 Mb/s IRL) and usb3.0 onboard.

But using the RPi2B for a testcase for trying out SMBv2 connections can't hurt. With Raspbian you can use SMB or better yet NFS, which is much less hassle IMO.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Network Source & MYSQL Library Sharing on Xbox One0