how to get .nfo file working in kodi 18.6 ?
Hello,
I'm a newby user of Kodi. That was a incredible surprise for me. It is just wonderful.

I need some help to better understand if there is a way to solve an issue I have using .nfo file.  
I' d like to build a library of all my movies (more thar 4000). They are located on a coupple of NAS.
Up to know I have read the guides and spent considerable ammount of time experimenting to try to setup my library correctly.
I do have the following contrains:
1) the movie are located in several directories of the Nas
2) I don't want to create one folder for each movie, because other sistems I have at home requires the movie to be in one directory 
3) Not all my movie are named the way they shoud be  ( correct title (year).ext ) and I'd like to avoide renaming (if possible)

I've run the kodi scraping to build the library and, as expected, not all the movie were sacraped correcty. At the end of the process  about a thousand of them need to be scraped again by manually modifiyng the movie title.
To avoid this huge amount of work,  I' ve used "tiny media manager"  to scrape all my movie directories  to buil a .nfo file claimed to be for kodi 17+.  In this way in about half day I was able to have all my movie corretly identified in tiny media manager.
Tiny media manager adds up to 10 additional files for each movie. For exampe for the movie  "Furious 6 - HD-e0-a8-18w.ts"  it creates "Furious 6 - HD-e0-a8-18w.nfo"  and "Furious 6 - HD-e0-a8-18w-poster.jpg" 

Since each movie in my directories has a corrispondant *.nfo file, I thought this would be enough to have kodi scraping correctly each movie and build the library automatically. But this was  not the case. It seems that kodi does do anything with the provided .nfo file. I don't know if   I'm doing something wrong or if this is the actual limitation of Kodi.  Below the content  of the "Furious 6 - HD-e0-a8-18w.nfo" file.

mod edit - nfo file moved to paste site - please do not post large blocks of code or similar text to the forum

https://paste.kodi.tv/otetijoqap
Hey there. In my experience, kodi does not require that each movie is in its own separate folder. From experience also, naming the movies with the correct kodi naming conventions makes my movies scrapped without a single problem. I have 3500 movies.

Tiny media manager or other media organizers can help you rename all your files in a few minutes. It can also download fanart like poster you mentioned. You don't need fanart for getting the movie info when scrapping but it just a way to show the movie with a poster in kodi. Tiny media manager has a lot of other options for organizing your library you can benefit from them.

The *.nfo files are used to scrap and is enough if you scrap your library using "local information only " option.

One thing more I experienced, is that sometimes there are two movies with the same name and since you don't have the year in the name for some files as you mentioned that your files are not all named correctly, then the scrapers might get those wrong.

Some other times, the title of the movie in the file metadata is named incorrectly like for example has details about the encoding or audio or video info and then sometimes I don't know why, but the wrong titles affect some scrapers and then the scrapers won't scrap the movie correct.

I have had all these problems and more when I started using kodi.

Best thing to do is to rename your files correctly according to kodi wiki and clean the library then scrap again with a scraper. I recommend universal movie scraper

The less effort is not to rename anything then use "local info only" to scrap the library.

Also please do not post logs or settings here like that. It made reading your post very difficult, but just use paste.kodi as mentioned in red line below.

Finally, I am not an expert at all. I just say stuff based on my usage of kodi for many years. Hope you get your stuff sorted 😊
(2020-04-25, 19:58)tiaderosa Wrote: I thought this would be enough to have kodi scraping correctly each movie and build the library automatically. But this was  not the case. It seems that kodi does do anything with the provided .nfo file. I don't know if   I'm doing something wrong or if this is the actual limitation of Kodi.  Below the content  of the "Furious 6 - HD-e0-a8-18w.nfo" file.
No, it is not a limitation of Kodi, you must be doing something wrong but I have no idea what. The nfo file you provided looks ok, so Kodi should scan it into the library, along with the artwork.

Can you provide the following...
1. screenshot of your folder so I can see the Furious files, as well as whatever else is in the folder
2. Debug Log of you trying to scan the item into the library. Don't use the Update library. Instead go to Videos>Files>YourSource, highlight the movie and press i on your keyboard.

Also you should be aware that while the Movies section is forgiving with file naming, the TV Shows section is not and the workaround you are currently using for your incorrectly named files most likely won't work with tv shows and episodes.

Moved to Information Providers forum.
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
Thank you for your very helpful replay. 
I appreciate it.
(2020-04-25, 22:31)Karellen Wrote:
(2020-04-25, 19:58)tiaderosa Wrote: I thought this would be enough to have kodi scraping correctly each movie and build the library automatically. But this was  not the case. It seems that kodi does do anything with the provided .nfo file. I don't know if   I'm doing something wrong or if this is the actual limitation of Kodi.  Below the content  of the "Furious 6 - HD-e0-a8-18w.nfo" file.
No, it is not a limitation of Kodi, you must be doing something wrong but I have no idea what. The nfo file you provided looks ok, so Kodi should scan it into the library, along with the artwork.

Can you provide the following...
1. screenshot of your folder so I can see the Furious files, as well as whatever else is in the folder
2. Debug Log of you trying to scan the item into the library. Don't use the Update library. Instead go to Videos>Files>YourSource, highlight the movie and press i on your keyboard.

Also you should be aware that while the Movies section is forgiving with file naming, the TV Shows section is not and the workaround you are currently using for your incorrectly named files most likely won't work with tv shows and episodes.

Moved to Information Providers forum.  

Thanks a lot for your replay. I've gone a bit deeper in digging my issue out and at the end I found that the *.nfo file are read and processed correcty by Kodi. I have run a coupple of specific test on limited numbers of wired named movie with and without the relative nfo file. Without the nfo file Kodi was not able to scrape by itself any of the provided movie while with the additional  *.nfo file every movie was scraped correctly. So there is no need to provide any screenshot and a debugging log.
In the first time I was mistaken by some movie covers that  weren't  shown in the kodi library after library update.  I wrongly thought Kodi was not able to find the movie because either kodi was not  processing the nfo file correctly or the nfo file itself was not correct.
But entering the movie I realized that some information like the correct title, the release year the cast, etc. were present.  Using the "tiny media manager" I have noticed that some times movie info are provided but the main movie covers when "themoviedb.org" is select as a scraper. To get the missing covers I've have to select a "IMDb.com" as a scraper. Im not sure what info are stored in the related *.nfo file in this case, I need to run a specific test in order to have a better understanding, but i believe this being the issue in kodi of not showing the main movie cover. Then I have a question: is there a simple way to tell kodi to scrape only the movie with  missing covers and to choose a specific scraping source fore these movie only ?  In other words assuming that I have used the themoviedb.org on Universal Movie Scarper to run my first scrape with the nfo file, Is there  anyway to tell kodi to use IMDB to scrape only the movie without a cover  ?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
how to get .nfo file working in kodi 18.6 ?0