Vero 4K+ Review: Finally, a Native Kodi 4K + 3D Do-it-All Player?
Almost anything one can say about the Vero 4K+ needs to be prefaced with "as of right now", because the device is under ongoing active development, and will remain so for quite some time. In particular, frame-packed 3D support is not part of the standard software yet - it's still in beta - so one should definitely expect improvements there.

So, AS OF RIGHT NOW:

• Most blu ray menus don't work (specifically, the ones that use Java don't). If you're playing an ISO, or from a disc backed up in folder format, it will give you a list of the disc's playlist files, listed with index number and duration of the video, and it will auto-select the one that's likely to be the full movie; but finding a specific "extra" within an ISO image can be fiddly. And it also can't handle fancy interactive features like picture-in-picture commentaries, or information pop-ups. (Granted, you don't tend to find these on 3D discs).

• 3D image quality is not perfect on all titles. On some films (including, for example, Avatar and Gravity) you get occasional bursts of macro-blocking. This may take a while to fix as (we are told) the fault lies in microcode, meaning it will require contributions from Amlogic.

• Deinterlacing has some problems. 1080i can't be deinterlaced in film mode, so if you're watching a remux of one of those BBC blu rays that are 1080p/25 stored on the disc as 1080i/50, you are losing some image resolution. DVD remuxes can be decoded in software, which fixes the deinterlacing but introduces one or two other subtle issues. (Native 480i/576i/1080i output is not yet available, although there has been talk of adding it in the future).

• Upscaling quality is poor (and unlike other issues it's unlikely this will change in the future). So long as you are willing to set up a Kodi whitelist, this is not usually a problem, as you can output most videos at native resolution and have the TV do the upscaling. But if the video dimensions/frame-rate don't match a standard HDMI mode (e.g. if it's 720p/23.98Hz, or 720x540/50Hz), or if you need to use Kodi to correct for TV overscan, it may be a problem.

• Currently, it can play 4K VP9 profile 2 files, but not yet in HDR, meaning you can play 4K files on YouTube, but not in HDR.

• Access to internet streaming services is via Kodi add-ons rather than native apps. Amazon Prime Video is limited to 960x540 resolution. Netflix is, for practical purposes, limited to 1280x720, and SD Netflix videos can have messed up subtitles. For YouTube the initial setup process is fiddly, but it works okay after that, except for the lack of HDR. It does quite a good job with BBC iPlayer, though, and the latest beta version can play the iPlayer test-loop in 4K/HLG.

• A few 4K videos can skip frames if subtitles are turned on.

• No support for Dolby Vision, and it's extremely unlikely there ever will be.

• It can sometimes run a little hot, so it needs good ventilation. There are one or two reports of it actually going into thermal shutdown playing Gemini Man.

• Only two USB ports, once of which is normally taken up by a remote-control RF dongle. They're also only USB 2.0, not 3.0, so if you attach a local drive, read/write speeds are limited to ~40MB/s. That's far more than you need for playing UHD video, but transfers to that drive across the LAN will be slow. It also doesn't produce enough current to supply a USB-powered hard drive, so if you want to use one you need to add a powered USB hub.

Depth-correct 3D subtitles are under active development, so I would expect those to be working soon.

However, all of that aside, there is indeed a lot to like. Not that many players offer MVC/frame-packed 3D playback; some can't pass through DTS-HD or TrueHD+Atmos; plenty lack certain output resolutions (e.g. the 2017 Shield can't output 480p or 576p) or certain refresh rates (e.g. the Apple TV 4K can output 23.976Hz but not 24.000Hz); some don't pass through HDR10 metadata properly; a number don't support HDR10+ and/or HLG; and a number can't decode VP9 profile 2 in hardware. All good stuff.

One thing I really do have to take issue with, @hdmkv, is the suggestion that the Nvidia Shield TV should ever be recommended. Cool To be fair, I haven't tried the 2019 model, but I have the 2017 version, and it's a complete and utter disaster which shouldn't be recommended for anything, under any circumstances - particularly not for watching Netflix!

Messages In This Thread
RE: Vero 4K+ Review: Finally, a Native Kodi Do-it-All Player? - by Shasarak - 2020-05-05, 10:51

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Vero 4K+ Review: Finally, a Native Kodi 4K + 3D Do-it-All Player?1
This forum uses Lukasz Tkacz MyBB addons.