Android smb browsing regression from 15.2 to 18.6
So I decided to do an experiment, to see how an old build of kodi (that had libestagefright support) would work today.  Turns out it didn't seem to work.  But in trying it, I noticed that smb browsing worked perfectly.

i.e. it was able to enumerate everything and ask for username's and passwords as needed on my Sony Android TV.  As this has never worked on v18 for me, I was wondering if something changed.  However, when I uinstalled 15.2 and reinstalled 18.6 from the play store, it was back to what I expected, unable to browse (though I can enter the paths in manually without a problem)
v15.2 is from a long time ago...

SMB browsing has been disabled/removed as per SMBv2, because of the large Swiss cheese security holes in SMBv1. (google for the global impact of WannaCry)
So either your re-activate SMBv1 on your Windows 'server' (which is not recommended), or you adapt in Windows.
Among other things, the user providing the file shares is required to have a password. Entering share details manually via "Add network location" in Kodi is then solution.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
smb browsing regression from 15.2 to 18.60