Kodi Black Screen on Dell Laptop
l have been using Kodi for years on my Dell laptop Kodi 17.6 onward with no problems.

A couple of days ago when starting Kodi 18.6, Kodi starts I can hear GUI sounds, but the laptop screen goes black.

I uninstalled the Kodi I had installed, and installed/run Kodi 18.7 via download - both 32 bit and 64 bit and get the same black screen.

When I select ctrl alt delete, and highlight the Kodi app, the correct Kodi screen is displayed in the background.

When I highlight the Kodi app on the task bar, the correct Kodi screen is displayed in the background.

My log is pasted here:-  https://paste.kodi.tv/kelifukova.kodi

All my other laptop apps are displaying correctly.
XML:
NOTICE: Loading player core factory settings from special://xbmc/system/playercorefactory.xml.
NOTICE: Loaded playercorefactory configuration
Start off by deleting your playercorefactory.xml setup.

A full log with debug mode enabled might reveal other issues.
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
(2020-05-31, 08:59)Karellen Wrote:
XML:
NOTICE: Loading player core factory settings from special://xbmc/system/playercorefactory.xml.
NOTICE: Loaded playercorefactory configuration
Start off by deleting your playercorefactory.xml setup.

A full log with debug mode enabled might reveal other issues.
Thank you for quick response.

I assume playercorefactory.xml was installed by Kodi, correct me if I'm wrong.

I can't find playercorefactory.xml in the Kodi folder, would you let me know where it is?

Found playercorefactory.xml in the programs folder. Closed Kodi renamed it to playercorefactorydelete.xml rather than deleted it, restarted Kodi still black screen.

Heres my new log:-  https://paste.kodi.tv/ukofigacam.kodi

Created an advancedsettings.xml file, with these contents trying to turn logging on:-
<advancedsettings>
    <<loglevel>2</loglevel> <!-- Change this to "1" to hide the on-screen debug log text -->
    <debug>
        <extralogging>true</extralogging>
        <setextraloglevel>32,64,128,256,512,1024,2048,4096,8192,16384,32768,65536</setextraloglevel>
        <showloginfo>true</showloginfo>
    </debug>
</advancedsettings>

Not sure it made any extra entries in the log file
oops, ignore my previous post. That is Kodi's file, but I confused it with the DSPlayer version.

Provide a Debug Log with debug enabled and we might spot the issue.
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
(2020-05-31, 09:27)Karellen Wrote: oops, ignore my previous post. That is Kodi's file, but I confused it with the DSPlayer version.

Provide a Debug Log with debug enabled and we might spot the issue.

Tried to enable logging via advancedsettings.xml file, see my post above yours.

Is there another other option I can force debugging external to Kodi?

Do you want me to rename playercorefactorydelete.xml back to playercorefactory.xml?
(2020-05-31, 09:53)Jeffers24 Wrote: Tried to enable logging via advancedsettings.xml file, see my post above yours.
Nope. Still not enabled. Dont worry about the xml file. Enable it in Settings>System Settings>Logging. Don't enable any component logging.
My Signature
(2020-05-31, 09:58)Karellen Wrote:
(2020-05-31, 09:53)Jeffers24 Wrote: Tried to enable logging via advancedsettings.xml file, see my post above yours.
Nope. Still not enabled. Dont worry about the xml file. Enable it in Settings>System Settings>Logging. Don't enable any component logging.
Found these settings below, are you asking me to change the two 'False' in the paste below to 'True'?
    <category id="logging" label="14092" help="36391">
      <group id="1" label="14260">
        <setting id="debug.showloginfo" type="boolean" label="20191" help="36392">
          <level>1</level>
          <default>false</default>
          <control type="toggle" />
        </setting>
        <setting id="debug.extralogging" type="boolean" label="666" help="36394">
          <level>1</level>
          <default>false</default>
          <control type="toggle" />
        </setting>
        <setting id="debug.setextraloglevel" type="list[integer]" parent="debug.extralogging" label="668" help="36534">
          <level>1</level>
          <default></default>
          <constraints>
            <options>loggingcomponents</options>
            <delimiter>,</delimiter>
          </constraints>
          <dependencies>
            <dependency type="enable" setting="debug.extralogging" operator="is">true</dependency>
          </dependencies>
          <control type="list" format="string">
            <multiselect>true</multiselect>
            <hidevalue>true</hidevalue>
          </control>
        </setting>
Not sure where you found that code.

Your advancedsettings.xml file will be saved here... C:\Users\willi\AppData\Roaming\Kodi\

In the file add the following code...

xml:
<advancedsettings version="1.0">
<loglevel>2</loglevel>
</advancedsettings>

Restart Kodi
My Signature
(2020-05-31, 10:57)Karellen Wrote: Not sure where you found that code.

Your advancedsettings.xml file will be saved here... C:\Users\willi\AppData\Roaming\Kodi\

In the file add the following code...

xml:
<advancedsettings version="1.0">
<loglevel>2</loglevel>
</advancedsettings>

Restart Kodi
Set up advanced settings as you suggested:-

Restarted Kodi, logging didn't start.

But black screen didn't happen, so I set logging as per screen shot and information appeared in top left of the screen, will leave logging set so when black screen happens again the log will capture more information.

This is what has been happening over last few days, sometimes Kodi display is shown and sometimes it isn't resulting in a black screen.

@Karellen Just had black screen incident again.
This time debug logging was set, my log is here:- https://paste.kodi.tv/opiruferek.kodi
(2020-05-31, 15:19)Jeffers24 Wrote: @Karellen Just had black screen incident again.
This time debug logging was set, my log is here:- https://paste.kodi.tv/opiruferek.kodi

@Karellen  Just run Kodi again and all worked displayed correctly, no black screen.

My log of working no black screen is here:- https://paste.kodi.tv/ipitapuxip.kodi
From the log it appears you are using Kodi x32 build when it looks like the set-up could use a 64 bit version, is there some limiting factor? (if possible run 64 bit) I note the usage of Iris® Graphics 540 adapter and looking around I see this page, and suspect you might be running into this and would suggest the ball might be in the Intel court. Interesting that you have had some success which might be accounted by the 'shared' memory nature of this hardware and allocation of the gfx memory. When you get a black screen, toggle windowed mode to attempt a redraw of the screen. Otherwise the log isn't giving up the explanation.
(2020-05-31, 18:10)PatK Wrote: From the log it appears you are using Kodi x32 build when it looks like the set-up could use a 64 bit version, is there some limiting factor? (if possible run 64 bit) I note the usage of Iris® Graphics 540 adapter and looking around I see this page, and suspect you might be running into this and would suggest the ball might be in the Intel court. Interesting that you have had some success which might be accounted by the 'shared' memory nature of this hardware and allocation of the gfx memory. When you get a black screen, toggle windowed mode to attempt a redraw of the screen. Otherwise the log isn't giving up the explanation.
Thanks for reply.

I am using 32 bit version, as I configure my build on my 64 bit laptop, then transfer it to my 32  bit android box after testing.

I thought it may be something I had done, which is why I downloaded 18.7 version off Kodi download site, did a clean install and added nothing, to see if the problem went away, which it didn't.

I am not that technical and most if not all of the options at see 'this' page I wouldn't want to try to implement.

It's odd that I am only having this black screen when I run Kodi, all other apps display correctly.

In the past week I have had W10 and Dell updates, do you know which of these two may have installed Iris® Graphics 540 adapter, then I could ask them why this may be happening?

I'll also try to locate this driver on my laptop, see if I can tell when it was installed and if I can safely regress it.
Someone suggested running Kodi in Windowed Modes, instead of Full Screen, doing this cured the black screen issue.

So in my case running Kodi in full screen, which I have done for years on my Dell laptop, is causing my problem, but only with the Kodi App.

At least I can use Kodi in windowed mode.
(2020-06-01, 09:07)Jeffers24 Wrote: I have had W10 and Dell updates, do you know which of these two may have installed Iris® Graphics 540 adapter
Could be that one overwrote the other with a driver that was more general and not focused on your exact hardware. Kodi demands the hardware in extensive usage and given the shared nature of laptop memory, it's any guess if you'll have success or not. A debug log might tell us more about the driver, changing that might bring the solution. Windowed mode, utilizes the MS code for windowing and is the best shot at running, but full screen mode standalone will give best results.

I would forget about 32 bit and make the move to 64 bit, you can still copy all the files in the Userdata (wiki) folder from one to another installation. I still think the truth of the matter lies in the 'this' page link. If there is a possibility to restore you system to an earlier time prior to the update, it might be something to consider.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi Black Screen on Dell Laptop0