Solved Windows 10 May 2020 Update - TV Connected via HDMI - Blue/Green Squiggly Lines
This isn't strictly for Kodi, but it might pop up, as it seems to be a result of the new May 2020 update.

Only thing I've changed is installed the May 2020 update. Anything I put on that screen has those lines. The only solution I've found is to unplug the HDMI cable and plug it in again. Tried different leads, rolling back NVIDIA drivers etc.

To clarify, the main screen doesn't have these issues (connected via DP).

2080Ti on 446.14 - does it on 450.99 as well.

When I can be bothered, I'll reinstall from scratch - just posting in case anyone else comes across this issue.

(2020-06-01, 12:27)p1xel8ted Wrote: the main screen doesn't have these issues (connected via DP).
Possibility these are clock lines created by the gfx engine.
(2020-06-01, 12:27)p1xel8ted Wrote: the main screen doesn't have these issues (connected via DP).
This gets weirder... other programs effected, or is it just Kodi? Try software rendering.
(2020-06-01, 17:48)PatK Wrote:
Possibility these are clock lines created by the gfx engine.
This gets weirder... other programs effected, or is it just Kodi? Try software rendering.

Anything on the screen - the screenshot I posted is just the desktop wallpaper. In videos it's restricted to where lighter areas transition to darker areas (no matter the strength). Doesn't seem to matter what render method I choose. Tried changing depth/res/refresh, and that also appears to have no effect. The only thing that works every time is unplug and plug back in.
It's some pulse that is corrupting display pixels (the actual value associated with pixels in question) at the intervals that display the grid (likely a transistor clock). Un-pluging & plugging suggests a re-establishment of handshaking clears the issue and narrows down the issue to this area of the hardware. When first powered, is this anomaly present immediately or only after a secondary display initialization (you do have two displays?), trying to determine if the issue is on the TV side or monitor too?  

This is not normal behaviour and the first I've heard of it with this gfx engine; suggest If possible consult with maker and RMA the card, although this could actually be the TV side of things.
Few others have the same issue with different hardware and screen setups, but it's always on the secondary monitor. I believe they made changes to the WDDM, and fixed a few issues related to stuttering with monitors using different refresh rates, so unintended side effect of those changes maybe - but that's just my train of logic, definitely not an expert in the issue.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comme...d_via_hdmi
Showing up on a screen grab, and noting the disturbance isn't dead pixels, they appear to have some value that might be close to what it should be as if the value has been changed by a percentage, might be some sort of averaging algorithm. What scanning cycles do you have on the TV vs set in the card? Is it possible to be induced by cable connection noise?

Suggestion: set desktop to 60 cycles and  if you TV allows, 60 cycles as well and let's see if the issue is resolved at that level, I'd be sorely tempted to try out an HDMI cable if possible.
(2020-06-03, 01:31)PatK Wrote: Showing up on a screen grab, and noting the disturbance isn't dead pixels, they appear to have some value that might be close to what it should be as if the value has been changed by a percentage, might be some sort of averaging algorithm. What scanning cycles do you have on the TV vs set in the card? Is it possible to be induced by cable connection noise?

Suggestion: set desktop to 60 cycles and  if you TV allows, 60 cycles as well and let's see if the issue is resolved at that level, I'd be sorely tempted to try out an HDMI cable if possible.

Don't know why I didn't think of this before. I dual boot Manjaro - doesn't happen at all under that OS. Other tests:
  1. GPU Scheduling on/off - no change
  2. Matching refresh rates - no change
  3. Matching resolution - no change
  4. Matching depth - no change
  5. Doesn't appear in screengrabs (image I posted was taken with my phone)
  6. Doesn't matter if the TV is on or off when I restart
  7. Swapping cables and ports - no change
Minor hassle having to re-plug the HDMI cord (not mounted on a wall or anything), but at least it fixes it.
I'm starting to think that the problem is with the TV; but I'm bankrupt for ideas.

Suggestions from the crowd are welcome.
Going by the fact that the issue is not present when booting to Manjaro, I doubt it is the TV, video card or cable.  Therefore my guess would have to be that it's related to Windows missing some handshaking or assuming some state that is incorrect and only correcting it when handshaking (re) occurs.

No idea if it's possible or not (I gave up on Windows years ago!) but a comparison of the registry immediately before and after reconnecting the cable might reveal a changing key that could then be forced to the correct value without having to mess with the cable.  As I say, it's just a thought so feel free to ignore me Smile
Learning Linux the hard way !!
(2020-06-03, 20:54)black_eagle Wrote: Going by the fact that the issue is not present when booting to Manjaro, I doubt it is the TV, video card or cable.  Therefore my guess would have to be that it's related to Windows missing some handshaking or assuming some state that is incorrect and only correcting it when handshaking (re) occurs.

No idea if it's possible or not (I gave up on Windows years ago!) but a comparison of the registry immediately before and after reconnecting the cable might reveal a changing key that could then be forced to the correct value without having to mess with the cable.  As I say, it's just a thought so feel free to ignore me Smile

No luck with the registry idea - but I 99% sure I've solved it anyway. While restarting I noticed it doesn't happen straight after boot - it was only after my apps loaded it appeared. F.lux is one of those apps.

1. Disabled f.lux on start-up and rebooted - Issue was gone.
2. Enabled f.lux on start-up and rebooted - Issue was back.
3. Disabled f.lux on start-up and rebooted, waited a few minutes and manually started f.lux - Issue was back.
3. Uninstalled f.lux and restarted - issue gone.
4. Installed f.lux again, the issue didn't come back until I restarted.
5. Uninstall f.lux again - issue gone (after restarting)

I'm confident that puts that to bed - sorry for wasting your time guys, cheers for the help though!
Thread marked solved.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Windows 10 May 2020 Update - TV Connected via HDMI - Blue/Green Squiggly Lines0