• 6(current)
Android Review | Ugoos AM6 Plus Amlogic S922XJ TV Box
(2021-07-06, 11:24)zeeya Wrote:
(2021-07-06, 09:06)FXB78 Wrote:
(2021-07-06, 01:48)zeeya Wrote: You mean you are not using Ugoos stock firmware?
I'm using stock Ugoos dual-boot firmware, it's the only way to use CoreELEC. But I'm using OTA updates for Android rather than flashing the updates, because I think doing that will reset CoreELEC to an old version.
That means... you can update only Android through official OTA? How you are doing this? please elaborate...
Can the updates on dualboot CoreELEC done separately?
If you flash the firmware, I would expect it to flash CoreELEC back to whichever version Ugoos are using, but I never tried it. I flashed it once then used OTA updates. With CoreELEC you can use OTA or drop the update in the update folder and it will manually update.

You can update Android OTA via the GUI.
(2021-07-06, 11:44)FXB78 Wrote:
(2021-07-06, 11:24)zeeya Wrote:
(2021-07-06, 09:06)FXB78 Wrote: I'm using stock Ugoos dual-boot firmware, it's the only way to use CoreELEC. But I'm using OTA updates for Android rather than flashing the updates, because I think doing that will reset CoreELEC to an old version.
That means... you can update only Android through official OTA? How you are doing this? please elaborate...
Can the updates on dualboot CoreELEC done separately?
If you flash the firmware, I would expect it to flash CoreELEC back to whichever version Ugoos are using, but I never tried it. I flashed it once then used OTA updates. With CoreELEC you can use OTA or drop the update in the update folder and it will manually update.

You can update Android OTA via the GUI.
Thanks for the response
Btw, what is the size of the CoreELEC partition on eMMC?
(2021-07-06, 13:18)zeeya Wrote: Btw, what is the size of the CoreELEC partition on eMMC?
3GB, you can of course use path substitution onto an SD Card if you need more, that's what I do for thumbs & timeshift.
Great... Thanks a lot
Path substitution? Any pointers/guide?
(2021-07-06, 14:46)zeeya Wrote: Great... Thanks a lot
3GB will probably be enough for you, but if you have a spare SD Card you can put things like thumbnails on there as per https://kodi.wiki/view/Path_substitution

So for path substitution my advancedsettings.xml looks like this:

Code:
<advancedsettings>
    <pathsubstitution>
        <substitute>
            <from>special://profile/Thumbnails/</from>
            <to>/var/media/SDCARD/Thumbnails/</to>
        </substitute>
    </pathsubstitution>
</advancedsettings>
(2021-07-06, 15:00)FXB78 Wrote:
3GB will probably be enough for you, but if you have a spare SD Card you can put things like thumbnails on there as per https://kodi.wiki/view/Path_substitution

Code:
<advancedsettings>
    <pathsubstitution>
        <substitute>
        </substitute>
    </pathsubstitution>
</advancedsettings>

That was of great help, exactly what I was looking for. My current CoreELEC installation has thumbnail folder of approx 2GB size. With this I can free up huge space.
After modifying the advancedsettings.xml do I need to move the "thumbnails" folder to SDcard manually or it is taken care by Kodi/CoreELEC?
(2021-07-06, 15:25)zeeya Wrote:
(2021-07-06, 15:00)FXB78 Wrote:

Code:
<advancedsettings>
    <pathsubstitution>
        <substitute>
        </substitute>
    </pathsubstitution>
</advancedsettings>

That was of great help, exactly what I was looking for. My current CoreELEC installation has thumbnail folder of approx 2GB size. With this I can free up huge space.
After modifying the advancedsettings.xml do I need to move the "thumbnails" folder to SDcard manually or it is taken care by Kodi/CoreELEC?
If the folder is not there Kodi will create a new one, I don't know if you could move the existing folder or if that would cause any issues. Personally what I do is create advancedsettings.xml, delete Thumbnails folder then delete textures.db file from the Database folder. Then reboot and your thumbs will be repopulated fresh onto the SD Card.
(2021-07-06, 15:38)FXB78 Wrote:
(2021-07-06, 15:25)zeeya Wrote:
(2021-07-06, 15:00)FXB78 Wrote: 3GB will probably be enough for you, but if you have a spare SD Card you can put things like thumbnails on there as per https://kodi.wiki/view/Path_substitution

Code:
<advancedsettings>
    <pathsubstitution>
        <substitute>
        </substitute>
    </pathsubstitution>
</advancedsettings>

If the folder is not there Kodi will create a new one, I don't know if you could move the existing folder or if that would cause any issues. Personally what I do is create advancedsettings.xml, delete Thumbnails folder then delete textures.db file from the Database folder. Then reboot and your thumbs will be repopulated fresh onto the SD Card.
Yes, I was also thinking in the same line and I will do it.
Thanks
@FXB78 Any idea why CoreELEC team doesn't officially support the Ugoos' dual boot firmware installed? Since you have told here that it works well.

Their recommended dual boot installation using ceemmc utility has a drawback of updating Android, which cannot be done if CoreELEC dual boot exists on eMMC (installed by ceemmc). It should be removed, Android updated and restored back.
Am I missing something? Any pointers?
(2021-07-14, 12:45)zeeya Wrote: @FXB78 Any idea why CoreELEC team doesn't officially support the Ugoos' dual boot firmware installed? Since you have told here that it works well.

Their recommended dual boot installation using ceemmc utility has a drawback of updating Android, which cannot be done if CoreELEC dual boot exists on eMMC (installed by ceemmc). It should be removed, Android updated and restored back.
You can't install via ceemmc because the bootloader is locked, your only option is dual boot. I don't even think any internal install is supported by CoreELEC due to the chance you could brick the box. There's probably a thread on their forums about it. Just use dual boot and you will be fine, it works perfectly well.
(2021-07-14, 13:22)FXB78 Wrote:
(2021-07-14, 12:45)zeeya Wrote: @FXB78 Any idea why CoreELEC team doesn't officially support the Ugoos' dual boot firmware installed? Since you have told here that it works well.

You can't install via ceemmc because the bootloader is locked, your only option is dual boot. I don't even think any internal install is supported by CoreELEC due to the chance you could brick the box. There's probably a thread on their forums about it. Just use dual boot and you will be fine, it works perfectly well.
Thanks for the clarification
@FXB78
This is the response of my query to Ugoos support. I doubt it is correct or not, please clarify...

1. Probably not.
2. Yes you can.
3. As far as I know you can't, unless it has firmware from 2020. Although I never tried it because why would you even want to when you can use dual boot?

Did you receive the box yet and try any of this yourself? I already answered all this but you have since asked the same questions on the CoreELEC forums and emailed Ugoos direct, all whilst getting conflicting answers. Not sure what else to tell you except "try it for yourself".
(2021-07-19, 18:19)FXB78 Wrote: 1. Probably not.
2. Yes you can.
3. As far as I know you can't, unless it has firmware from 2020. Although I never tried it because why would you even want to when you can use dual boot?

Did you receive the box yet and try any of this yourself? I already answered all this but you have since asked the same questions on the CoreELEC forums and emailed Ugoos direct, all whilst getting conflicting answers. Not sure what else to tell you except "try it for yourself".

Yes, you are correct, I am confused now.
My box is in transit and will be delivered to me very soon.
Since many forums have contradictory views I just wanted to clarify with official Ugoos support. Now even more confused with their answer.
Trust your views a lot, let me give myself a try and post the results here.
Thanks for your patience.
  • 6(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Review | Ugoos AM6 Plus Amlogic S922XJ TV Box0