Connecting Kodi to my Bluray player
Hi from Athens, Greece!
I have noticed that in Kodi menu there are selections (submenus) about DVD and BD Disks.
So, I would like to ask:
a) How can I connect physically my DVD/BD Player of my Living-Room with my Android TV-Box (in the same room), so as using KODI will be able to control the DVD/BD Player (reproducing my collection of physical DVD or BD Disks) .
My current connection of the devices in the Living-Room is:
(1) The DVD/BD Player output is connected through HDMI to HDMI-1 input of my AVR Hi-Fi amplifier.
(2) The Android TV-Box output is connected through HDMI to HDMI-2 input of the same AVR Hi-Fi amplifier.
(3) The AVR Hi-Fi amplifier is connected through HDMI (ARC) output to my my smart-TV input (HDMI ARC)
Consequently, now when I want to play a DVD or BD Disk, I put it in the Player and I watch the movie in my Smart-TV hearing its sound either through the speakers of the connected AVR Hi-Fi amplifier (amplifier ON) or  through the speakers of the connected smart-TV (amplifier OFF). In other words the Android TV-Box currently is not contributing in the above DVD/BD physical disk reproduction. 
b) In relation to above, I wonder how exactly using the Android TV-Box Kodi menu, I could play any disk set in my DVD/BD Player. Please note, that the ΤV-Box has just one HDMI output already used [see above (2)] as well as the DVD/BD Player has also just one HDMI output already used [see above (1)]. Of course both devices do have USB capability but what is the connection methodology (if possible) etc.Huh
If the connection is possible, will I have any advantage with such a TV-Box Kodi "interference" in relation to my current described above situation? What I suspect is that after the seeking connection perhaps I would be able to read automatically "Information" (from IMDB data etc)  about the movie of the specific disk set in my DVD/BD Player. 
Anyway, I would appreciate some proper answers or suggestions from Kodi Team or other experts...
(2020-06-09, 01:39)GeorgeSachs Wrote: How can I connect physically my DVD/BD Player of my Living-Room with my Android TV-Box (in the same room), so as using KODI will be able to control the DVD/BD Player (reproducing my collection of physical DVD or BD Disks) .
You cannot. The idea is that you rip your bluray and dvd's to your hard drive, and let Kodi control those digital files.

If you do not want to rip the disks, you can still load your movies into your library using a Media Stub file... https://kodi.wiki/view/Media_stubs but you will need to control your bluray player separately.
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
Rainbow 
(2020-06-09, 05:03)Karellen Wrote:
(2020-06-09, 01:39)GeorgeSachs Wrote: How can I connect physically my DVD/BD Player of my Living-Room with my Android TV-Box (in the same room), so as using KODI will be able to control the DVD/BD Player (reproducing my collection of physical DVD or BD Disks) .
You cannot. The idea is that you rip your bluray and dvd's to your hard drive, and let Kodi control those digital files.

If you do not want to rip the disks, you can still load your movies into your library using a Media Stub file... https://kodi.wiki/view/Media_stubs but you will need to control your bluray player separately.

Thank you very much for your kind answer! I wish you a happy sunny summer!
You can use stub files to define a movie on a physical DVD/BD within your Kodi library.
The stub file could be coded with a message where the physical DVD or BD is stored so you know where to find it.

If you have, for example, a USB DVD drive connected to your Kodi box, when you select the movie within the library, you'll get a message where to find the physical DVD and toinsert it into the USB drive.
Kodi will hen proceed to decode the DVD, display the DVD menu and allow you to play the movie or some extras off the physical disk. 

Similarly, you can have a USB BD drive connected to your kodi box and Kodi will pop up a message to insert the BD into the drive and it will display a simplified menu and decode the movie.
The difference between DVD abd BD is that for the later BD, you need some extra stuff to be able to decode the physical disk.
Usually that stuff is a JVM and a key file but since your not using a authorised BD player, it's much of a cat and mouse game as later movies often wont play.

The more issues you have with laterst releases the more you'll tire of using Kodi to try and play BD's unless you use windows and a BD ripper that can intergrate with player software, then set Kodi to use that player s/w with BD's.

Did all this a while ago but due to having to chase my tail with BD stuff, i went back to using a commercial BD player.

But there is a Kodi playerfork called SPMC that supposedly handles BD playback directly but i've not looked into it (SPMC doesnt handle addons). 

PS: i've been away for a bit so the above may not be fully accurate or up to date for google should help find more info.
I'm a XBMC novice :)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Connecting Kodi to my Bluray player0